What lighting?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Colorado

Old 06-08-2012, 05:57 AM   #1
Matt.radich
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

What lighting?

So I am super new to the forum and I only have a reef tank but am adding another tank to my collection, so now I'm on this forum as well haha, mainly because I am planning on getting a tank setup here soon. I may have a tank lined up, but have no idea what lighting to use. Would a 2-bulb t5 HO kill plants instead of grow them?

I am really new to this so I am not sure about what plants require what lighting, so of you could help with that, that's be awesome.

Also what defines low light, medium light and high light?
Matt.radich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #2
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

A good two bulb T5HO fixture will give you algae problems on most smaller tanks. Just way too much light.

If you get anything over low-medium or medium light levels you are going to be needing CO2.

What is the tank size/dimension that you are thinking of getting and do you plan to go high tech (using pressurized CO2 and heavy fertilizers)?
madness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
Matt.radich
Algae Grower

I'm planning low tech for now, and it is hopefully a 10 gallon, so the 10''x20'' layout
Old 06-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

the best advice I could give you is to not over think your lighting. You will not need near as much light as your reef.

Take a look through this thread:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...r-bulbs-2.html, I think that CFL's would be your most money saving and easiest lighting to use. Over an open top 10g, you should be able to get as much or as little lighting you would ever need. Now dialing in the PAR would be tough unless you have access to a PAR meter. you could get a good guess from the link above, and then dial it in or out by what you see your tank doing. you can get very cheap lighting fixtures from lowes for as little as 8 dollars.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
Matt.radich
Algae Grower

I really want to do a t5 setup. If I did a 2 bulb t5HO could I just raise the light above the water? The fixture I am mainly looking at is here: http://www.aquatraders.com/24-inch-2...e-p/52121p.htm

Could I do that and just raise it a few inches off the water? Or what about this: http://www.aquatraders.com/20-inch-4...e-p/52302p.htm
And then just alternate the bulbs throughout the day?
Old 06-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
cardgenius
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/93%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.radich View Post
I really want to do a t5 setup. If I did a 2 bulb t5HO could I just raise the light above the water? The fixture I am mainly looking at is here: http://www.aquatraders.com/24-inch-2...e-p/52121p.htm

Could I do that and just raise it a few inches off the water? Or what about this: http://www.aquatraders.com/20-inch-4...e-p/52302p.htm
And then just alternate the bulbs throughout the day?
I would only use T5 lighting if your gonna be injecting co2 cause if your not, you'll be growing more algae than plants. If your not gonna be using co2 I would look for a T8 light fixture.

EDIT: just saw its for a 10g and those lights are extreme overkill. Even raising it a foot would still have too much light. I would go to petsmart and get single bulb T8 fixure.
cardgenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #7
Matt.radich
Algae Grower

Ok I will do that with a plant light. And that bulb will be enough for low-med light plants?
Old 06-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.radich View Post
Ok I will do that with a plant light. And that bulb will be enough for low-med light plants?
I was able to do quite a few low light plants in my old 10g with the stock lighting and a 6500k bulb, you should be fine.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 05:06 AM   #9
HypnoticAquatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

why not just do a dual t5no and not t5ho? i have a single t5ho on a 20L and its way to much even raised up a little so it really depends on the light fixture (balasts,reflectors!!) they are not created all the same. i got a nother 20L with a dual t5no from coralife and looks great slim not really hot lights perfectly for my shrimps and mosses id say thats a much safer route for u to go.

for high med and low its all about how much par your putting into a tank coming from sw u have a better understanding of this or idea at least. hoppy has some good reads for ya in the light section if u need to catch up on everything. and welcome to the forum
HypnoticAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

A single T8 on a 10 gallon will grow mosses and some low light plants (slowly). Might be underpowered for what you are looking for but you can probably find the light fixture for free or close to it somewhere and just put in a 6500K bulb to get started.

I have a dual T5HO 20" fixture (that you would use on a 10gal) on a taller tank and it was an algae farm until I took measures to cut the light down (tons of floating plants, tannins in the water, etc.)
madness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #11
livingword26
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

The first post here will tell you everything you need to know about lighting.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...t5-t12-pc.html
29 gallon, Fluval 306. Aquatop PF25-UV Power Filter, 1x39 watt T5HO 7" above tank. P.F. Sand, Pressurized CO2, 5 Glowlight Tetra's, 3 Halequin Rasborah's, 3 neons, 2 Oto's, 5 Cherry Shrimp, 4 Amano Shrimp.
livingword26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.