20 Long Rock Pile...V2...Now with Nano! - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #31
99problems
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Just wondering- what are these rocks called that you bought from a landscape company? And about how many pounds of rock is in your tank? Thanks!
99problems is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 11:54 PM   #32
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99problems View Post
Just wondering- what are these rocks called that you bought from a landscape company? And about how many pounds of rock is in your tank? Thanks!
I don't know the exact name of the rocks but it had "green" in the title, I believe. I have had many people ask and I just can't find out the info.

I bought about 250lb of this rock total (it was only 8 cents/lb or less, not expensive) and I am guessing this is about 1/4 of that, so around 60lbs. I wouldn't be surprised if it's less, or more, but around that.

________

For anyone wondering about the tanks, I am sorry I have not updated.

The nano is doing really well. The timer failed and it had the lights on for a few days straight but I didn't get too bad of algae because I am injecting a ton of CO2 along with having a AC 50 on a 6 gallon. Some of the reds are really red, others are not as much as I would like. I don't have a ton of light on this tank though.

The 20 long looks about the same. I usually do a short dry start with HC to get it rooted but I have a few amano's in there so I couldn't do it. About half the HC ended up floating, not that it surprised me, but I didn't start with much so it's going to be slow. I could just buy more but its a pain to plant so I am just going to see how it goes.

I also have to keep the light pretty high because of the lack of plant mass so that probably isn't helping the tank. It's on "slow-mo" for now and I don't particularly mind ATM, though I am trimming the HC and replanting as it grows out. Hopefully I will gain enough plant mass to throw some more light at it and get things balanced on a faster route.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 06:18 AM   #33
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

So...time for an update.

First things first, I almost want to appoligize for cellphone pics but my cell phone is actually better than my camera. I knew it sucked but I didn't think it sucked that bad. I wasn't able to use a tripod however.

The 20 long is still slow. It's weird because everything seems to grow well and I have put hard to grow species in as a test and got good color. I see continued slow growth of the foreground, don't know what's up. A lot of the HC ended up in my filter as well, which obviously doesn't help. I have tried to lower my light but I just don't have the plant mass. I am getting a little BGA but not enough to where it's a problem. I haven't been home so I need to manually remove it soon.

The nano is doing awesome. I cut down the grass about 2 weeks ago, all the way to the substrate as it was a bit ratty when I put it in. It is definitely coming along. My rotala macrandra isn't as red as it should be, when I am dosing daily, it seems to really help. Regardless, I have struggled with this plant in the past. I don't really know how much light this is but I know it isn't high light so I am not expecting much deep reds until I get a light that actually fits the tank. For now, I am happy with everything growing well.

Here are the pics:

Old 07-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #34
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (10/100%)

I apologize im on my phone and didn't read the thread, but i loooove that you are using the mini fridge as a tank stand

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #35
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Delight View Post
I apologize im on my phone and didn't read the thread, but i loooove that you are using the mini fridge as a tank stand
Haha, yeah, it's the only place I had room if I were going to use CO2 on it. I have a ton of other shelving in the room but nothing can get water on it. It actually fits the tank pretty well though, outside of being too deep but I may put a canister in back, again, as that is the only place it would fit.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:49 AM   #36
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

I know not many are paying attention and this tank has been very slow, through the first iteration until now.

I decided to try something that never works, especially with not a lot of plant mass. That is throwing way too much light at my plants. I lowered my light to about 3-4 in above the tank. I am doing 10 hours of 2x24watt, with a 2x24 watt noon burst.

It has been 3 days and growth has been better already. I can't really tell as much with the HC, though it pearls a lot now, but the grass is throwing runners out now.

I plan to do this for about 3-4 more days and just see how quickly algae comes. The tank is moving so slow that I don't really mind tackling some algae. I do think this tank needs more light than I was throwing at it before, just not sure how much. I do have a tiny bit of a few types of algae so it may be an algae farm quick, lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.