30g Metaframe-Sitting on the Dock - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
Kelli
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Ken View Post
Fyi that tank looks to be a mid 70's to 80's pemco, which was metaframes competition, the glass bottom could be origional but the pop rivits are not. Metaframes frame will have a tapper from bottom to top not straight like yours is
Good to know! I was beginning to wonder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
Several companies make glass polish, it has some grit and really works well if you put in the effort but you will need to rinse in well several times, if nothing else you could so the front glass inside and out, I use one made by RainX and it's polish only.

I used regular Dupont Chrome polish on the stainless steel, it works good also.

The tank is looking much better and you effort this far is great, nice helper too.
First off, thank you for the encouragement! I took a look around for glass polish sold in town (not a hard look yet, but a look). Also, this thing is aluminum framed. It peels like a grape, I put a huge (to me) gouge trying to peel paint off. I don't know if it was ever chromed.

The gouged, pitted, and surface stained aluminum got the gears cranking so I'm thinking of doing something with this:

(Test run)

On a positive note, I can grow plants at least! I picked up some Vals from my lfs a week +/- ago, and just let 'em float in another tank. Today I found this new little plantlet growing off a runner:

so yay me!

~Kelli

Last edited by Kelli; 06-24-2012 at 04:32 PM..
Kelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #17
Kelli
Algae Grower

Default Pic heavy update

Painted the tank, moved in the new stand, and checked for level

Began the scaping

Had a (not-so-helpful) helper

~Kelli
Old 07-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #18
Kelli
Algae Grower

Default MOAR pics

on 6/24 I planted it with (questionable) plants from what I could find locally, mostly chain store supply

Left

Middle

Right

ye olde corner box filter was temp until my canister was seeded from another tank.

My favorite view of the tank, from the sofa

~Kelli
Old 07-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #19
Kelli
Algae Grower

Default Even MOAR pics, Fauna update

Due to an unfortunate accident, my sons Pimephales promelas had to come live in this tank ASAP. (They broke thru the breeder net and decimated his platy fry population and he's breeding for trait, sooo relatively peeved)

There are two, he's had them forever, pretty sure they should have porch rockers and canes at this point. They colored up amazing once in the tank and went straight into breeding mode. Turns out we have two males. The pic doesn't do them justice, they are creamy butter yellow with a hot pink lateral line. I'm keeping them at this point for bioload.

Thanks to ye old corner box filter and my seeded canister filter, cycle took no time at all comparatively.

Added some clean up crew members

Bought a dozen, can find and count 9. Had a bunch of molts. They seem happy, and living, which is more than I expected considering they confront and fight the minnows over flake food. These are feisty buggers.

More updates to come, but its time to start prepping for the grill out!

~Kelli
Old 07-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #20
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

How about a full front view?
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #21
Kelli
Algae Grower

No full front view, after 10days of the scape I realized I hated it.
Really really hated it. I only liked the left portion of the tank, and not even a full third so I hated 75% +/- of this tank.

Even with styro the slope didn't hold, dirt was exposed in the oddest places, I would go to move some stems to a more pleasing place and I couldn't because it was rocks on foam.

On July 3rd I realized if I hate it now, I'm never going to like it, even if it grows in.
So, morning of July 4th, I tore it down and restarted.

Scape is totally generic and uninspired but my soul is calmer when I look at it. Having a mini-cycle as a result of the rescape but my magnum 350 is taking it like a champ. I filled the center canister with leca for bacterial surface area when I seeded it on another tank. My ammonia spiked to 0.25 so far, nitrites...idr but it was the lowest reading on the API kit, and 5.o nitrates. Going to do a water change when I get home tonight. I work double shifts every other weekend for 4 days in a row so when I get home I need a brainless activity before I'm able to sleep.

Noticed my plants were growing towards the window (duh...) so I bought these, got the mini compact daylight bulbs and hooked them up. I'm seeing a lot of overall growth, and a lot better color.

Didn't want to see the cords hanging down so I used these

and it looks like this now

and the new FTS

Pic taken right after filling. Almost zero cloudiness from dirt.

Still have 8 grass shrimp, lost one as a jumper in the rescape. Really didn't expect them to survive the minnows but they hold their own.

Next project is reworking the plumbing on the filter to hide the tubing and increasing plant mass. That will have to wait for a couple of weeks, I'm on vacation next week then back to my doubles so I will need a few days sleep when its all said and done.

~Kelli