30g Metaframe-Sitting on the Dock
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
Kelli
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

30g Metaframe-Sitting on the Dock

I'm in the process of of breaking down my 55 Oscar rescue tank and putting up my 30g metaframe. After years of Mbuna and SA cichlids I'm ready to do my 'dream' tank which is (loosely) NA themed natural.

I've been researching for the last two months as I realized I am probably not going to be able to save Shamu the Oscar and am now firmly in information overload. My notes have notes, and my idea journals have sub-journals. ACK!

Here is the plan so far:
30g Metaframe (holds water for the last week sitting in our driveway)
MGOPS topped with river pebbles from around here.

Lighting:
Will sit in an East facing window, there are sheer's on the window to cut down on the light coming in (If needed), plus ambient light from the South window and front door (doesn't count for much I know) I'm still trying to figure out a lighting fixture so any help here would be appreciated.

Filtration:
I have 3 Marineland 400's, a Penguin 350, and a Magnum 350 canister filter available from other tanks that I'm not using. I'd prefer to use the canister honestly. I really really hate HOB's.

Fauna:
This is meant as an Iowa-themed tank but being that it's 30g I have to get a little creative...
Etheostoma spectabile -or- caeruleum
Enneacanthus gloriosus -or- Elassoma evergladei (representing our panfish)
Sticklebacks Culaea inconstans
Wild-type Mollies (Not gung-ho about but provides a reliable live food source)
Grass shrimp
lucania goodei
WCMM
Lythrurus umbratilus (redfin shiner) -or- Margariscus margarita (Pearl dace)
Notropis atherrinoides (emerald shiner)
Notropis rubellus (Carmine shiner)

Flora:
I'm hindered by the cooler preferences of the fish I chose but here are some of my ideas to start
Nymphoides
Sagittaria
Samolus parviflorus
Bacopa caroliniana rotundifolia
Didiplis diandra
Ludwegia repens

Ceratophyllum demersum
Vallisneria
Riccia
Fissidens fontanus

The idea is to use some cedar planks my inlaws have had sitting outside for 30+ years to build a mini dock that extends into the tank some, scape the thing similar to a couple of my favorite hidden away docks, and then sit back with a cold beer and watch.

Another way I'm leaning is plants I like, livebearers in bright colors, and a couple of DP for population control. Always liked DP but never had the pleasure.

Third mental version is brackish. I love all things brackish, dragons always catch my eye.

Anyway, here is the tank-to-be, in all of it's hideous glory. I cannot take credit for the AWESOME paint job, it's former life 50 years ago was in a rural LFS ran out of a guys barn which I bought for $1 US.

Any input appreciated!

Last edited by Kelli; 06-24-2012 at 04:27 PM..
Kelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)

Looks like it has been rebuilt at some point. Pop rivets in the corners and a glass bottom. I would strip the paint off the back though and go with a solid black or other color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
Craigthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
Kelli
Algae Grower

I thought so too on the rebuild. I sold all the slate bottomed because i didn't trust them, and they brought in the most money, most were 10g I believe. I tried to keep one 30g but it didn't hold water, then my husband ran into it with the hitch on his truck so I just scrapped it.

And yeah, that background is G O I N G. I'm not rushing anything at this point. I still have Shamu to take care of but my vet already gave me the finquel and a promise to do the coup d'grace when I'm ready. Plus, I need a stand. All I have are the LFS stands which are not only ugly but completely impractical in their stair-step design.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #4
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)

Should do a stand like Hydrophyte started in the DIY section. Would looke great stained in ebony and with metal hardware. Nice to see more iowans here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
Craigthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelli View Post
I'm still trying to figure out a lighting fixture
Try Pet Blvd. For low Coralife fixture would be best. Then there are DIY LED fixtures. Hoppy has some threads on that.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
Kelli
Algae Grower

More research, more changes.

On the progress front, I bought a stand, sort of.
We live in a leeetle house in a historic neighborhood. There is no such thing as storage here so everything has to pull double duty. The stand needed to double/triple as a bookshelf and video game crap containment. Ornate-ness wasn't an issue but it needed to be small. Craigslist to the rescue, I bought this beast with the intention of refurbishing it into less "grandmas basement" but after I put it in the space, I like it just how it is. Bonus that our ferret can't open the doors.

I've also shifted directions with the tank theme. Instead of being an homage, I'm going with 100% Iowa. This somewhat handicaps me. Iowa was ranked as one of the top destroyed ecosystems with many of our natives found in abundance in the neighboring states but extirpated here. I just need to clarify if I'm doing a strict biotope or not (this may take awhile, research = weekend getaway! See what I did there /evil laugh/)

Flora/Fauna updates made in the first post.

~Kelli

Last edited by Kelli; 06-24-2012 at 04:29 PM..
Old 06-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
tenzero1
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

I love the idea but how do you plan on getting those fish? I worked for the Wisconsin DNR as intern shocking fish and even I couldn't keep any fish. (I have already thought about creating my own native tank). You may need a collectors permit and I'm not positive if that will allow you to keep those fish in an aquarium. You also may want a water chiller because those species live in some pretty cold streams and wont like water that is room temp.

Good luck though, I love the idea!
tenzero1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
The stand needed to double/triple as a bookshelf.
Craigslist to the rescue,
Just put some planks 1in under the shelf and top on the side where the edges of the tank will be. Also should put some plants in the middle too.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
Kelli
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenzero1 View Post
I love the idea but how do you plan on getting those fish? I worked for the Wisconsin DNR as intern shocking fish and even I couldn't keep any fish. (I have already thought about creating my own native tank). You may need a collectors permit and I'm not positive if that will allow you to keep those fish in an aquarium. You also may want a water chiller because those species live in some pretty cold streams and wont like water that is room temp.

Good luck though, I love the idea!
As I understand it right now, most of the minnows are considered bait fish and able to be harvested. Plan B is to make better friends with my bait shops and cross my fingers something comes in (they usually do, this is how I met my first stickleback...). Plan C is to buy from online native fish retailers, which I have to do anyway for the darters. Which plan I go with will determine my chilling needs, which is admittedly back-@sswards planning. I have a couple of reef chillers in a box around here somewhere from my Dad's side of the hobby and I can only take so much mechanical research before my brain melts.

@Hilde, this thing is S O L I D wood, the top is an inch thick at least. I hear what you're saying tho and plan to run tests. Unofficial tests as in my 6'5" teenager sitting on my lap in the middle. the two of us combined weigh well over what this tank + equipment will when full. With the hubby taking video/pics I should be able to check for bowing/splitting. I hope.

~Kelli
Old 06-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #10
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
@Hilde, this thing is S O L I D wood, the top is an inch thick at least.
I hear what you're saying tho and plan to run tests.
Unofficial tests as in my 6'5" teenager sitting on my lap in the middle.
With video/pics I should be able to check for bowing/splitting.
~Kelli
I would get a leveler to check the level. Also bowing may occur over time. Thus I would at the least put planks in the middle on all levels to the floor.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #11
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

It looks like your plan is coming together but it will be impossible to fit a canister into that stand, but HOB' can offer high O2 to the fish and plant and they make that nice trickling noise.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #12
Kelli
Algae Grower

Making progress on the clean up. I had a lot of help

~Kelli

Last edited by Kelli; 06-24-2012 at 04:30 PM..
Old 06-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #13
Kelli
Algae Grower

All the super awesome paint hid some less awesome scratches.

Time to do a trial run of my planned back ground + water fill and see what happens. I might try the toothpaste trick. If all else fails I'll call them "personality" and learn to live with them.

Like wrinkles... for a tank.

~Kelli

Last edited by Kelli; 06-24-2012 at 04:31 PM..
Old 06-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #14
Big-Ken
Algae Grower

Fyi that tank looks to be a mid 70's to 80's pemco, which was metaframes competition, the glass bottom could be origional but the pop rivits are not. Metaframes frame will have a tapper from bottom to top not straight like yours is
Big-Ken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:50 AM   #15
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Several companies make glass polish, it has some grit and really works well if you put in the effort but you will need to rinse in well several times, if nothing else you could so the front glass inside and out, I use one made by RainX and it's polish only.

I used regular Dupont Chrome polish on the stainless steel, it works good also.

The tank is looking much better and you effort this far is great, nice helper too.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote