my stock tank "pond"
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 05-20-2015, 04:31 AM   #1
Rushdoggie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

my stock tank "pond"

So I have always wanted a goldfish pond, but because I used to move a lot I never bothered. I don’t plan on moving for a while so I decided last year to make one on a small scale for my patio. I saw some great ones made of stock tanks, so I decided to go that route.
I first tried a plastic stock tank, because it was less expensive. However, I found that bowed at the sides when I put water in it and ended up not very deep. After a few weeks I decided I did not like it. Looking around again I found an aluminum tank and I liked it. So, now the plastic tank has been re-purposed as a raised bed elsewhere in my yard.
I got this 85 gallon model at the feed store. I liked it but decided it would look better if it was copper.

I used spray paint to make it copper, but it took FOUR CANS. But I liked it. I added a small inexpensive solar fountain and a bunch of plants. To prevent mosquitoes, I put in a couple of minnows. Here is the 2014 model

This winter some paint came off. Turns out that Rustoleum doesn’t stick to galvanized aluminum. I ended up stripping it and repainting with first primer for galvanized metal, then Rustoleum “Hammered Copper” paint in a can. Not only was it quicker to roll it on, but I used only half of a quart can and it went on thicker and looks nicer!
I added a hanging coco liner basket to hold the marginal plants instead of pots inside the tank. I have some creeping jenny, some lizard’s tail, some cardinal flower lobelia and put some pickerel in a pot on an upside down pot inside. I have small water lilies planted in pots on the bottom.
I wanted a few goldfish, so I made a filter waterfall feature from a ceramic pitcher I found at a thrift store. I used a solar pump to power it as I don’t have an outlet nearby. I’m pretty happy with it. I hope my lilies flower soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2015, 11:25 AM   #2
theatermusic87
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looking great
Old 05-20-2015, 02:33 PM   #3
pweifan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (58/100%)

That is a very nice look Nicely done.

I'd recommend more floating plants to help prevent algae and to give the fish more to munch on. Please post updates throughout the summer.
pweifan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2015, 04:10 PM   #4
Rushdoggie
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pweifan View Post
That is a very nice look Nicely done.

I'd recommend more floating plants to help prevent algae and to give the fish more to munch on. Please post updates throughout the summer.
They will get there, they were just put in. Its still cool here so the algae is not much of an issue. The lilies are starting to have leaves floating and the lettuce and hyacinth are growing legs.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:25 PM   #5
NotCousteau
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice job! I want to do something similar.

What type of plastic stock tank did you use? That's the route I was going to take, but I hadn't heard about the sides bowing out. I assumed they would hold their shape since they're used for livestock, and I figured, would be filled to the top.

Thanks.
NotCousteau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2015, 06:28 PM   #6
LittleMy
guppy wrangler

PTrader: (1/100%)

I love your pitcher fountain! I was thinking of doing something similar with a teapot.
LittleMy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2015, 09:19 PM   #7
Rushdoggie
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCousteau View Post
Nice job! I want to do something similar.

What type of plastic stock tank did you use? That's the route I was going to take, but I hadn't heard about the sides bowing out. I assumed they would hold their shape since they're used for livestock, and I figured, would be filled to the top.

Thanks.
I don't recall the brand and the sticker is long gone (and its full of dirt and plants atm) but it had smooth sides. I didn't like how the outside of the thicker rubbermaid tanks looked...I am picky. Its sitting on my patio so I wanted to make it pretty inside and outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMy View Post
I love your pitcher fountain! I was thinking of doing something similar with a teapot.
Aside from drilling a hole in the bottom on that pitcher which was a real PITA, it was pretty easy. I filled the pitcher with filter material and lava rock and put the submersed pump in a plastic basket that I surrounded with filter material. It runs for about 8-10 hours on a sunny day and 4-6 on a cloudy day and seems to be working somewhat well. Plus I have sever submersed plants helping keep the water clean.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:10 AM   #8
Rushdoggie
Algae Grower

Just a couple of weeks and the plants are already spreading a bit...some lily leaves floating too (they are reddish and don't show up well in the photo.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:36 PM   #9
pweifan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (58/100%)

I really like this pond
pweifan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2015, 03:43 AM   #10
nonfucious
Algae Grower

I love that pitcher fountain. Hmmmm, I have a pitcher like that in my kitchen! O worry about the splashing noise attracting raccoons. I guess they will wind up finding it eventually anyway though.
nonfucious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2015, 12:15 AM   #11
Rushdoggie
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonfucious View Post
I love that pitcher fountain. Hmmmm, I have a pitcher like that in my kitchen! O worry about the splashing noise attracting raccoons. I guess they will wind up finding it eventually anyway though.
Mine is on a solar panel so it doesn't run at night unless I turn it on the battery, so that may be why I haven't gotten and racoon visitors.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:52 PM   #12
Rushdoggie
Algae Grower

Marginals are getting big, did some thinning and rearranging to lilies would get enough sun. Used a thread to hold a glass float and a couple of floaters in place....it was getting foamy and the float seems to reduce that.

Fertilized my lilies this weekend and I see what could maybe be buds.

I am pleased with the water quality and clarity with my homemade filter system. It only runs 10-12 hours a day but the water is crystal clear and tests with no ammonia.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.