h2o2 killed shrimps
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 06-04-2012, 03:12 AM   #1
alphabeatsco
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

h2o2 killed shrimps

ok, after dosing about 2-3ml per gallon on a CRS tank. i've lost a few shrimps. i've changed 50%, no good, so i change another 80%.
a few still died last night. what else can i do? will putting more seachem prime work? since it was recommended to dip equipments into Prime after bleaching.
alphabeatsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 03:38 AM   #2
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)

I've used up to 4% H2O2 in my tanks with shrimp without a problem. I don't even do a water change after the treatments since H2O2 naturally breaks down to H2O and O (water and oxygen). So I question whether the H2O2 was the cause of the deaths.

For starters, whenever you do a water change, you should be using Seachem Prime or some other water conditioner to remove chlorine and chloramine from the water. If you aren't, then that would be a potential cause of shrimp death.

Also, if you have used bleach on something without getting it all back out before putting it in the tank, then that could kill the shrimp.

Another possibility is that the attempts to kill the algae has altered the balance of good bacteria. Sometimes what happens is the dead algae decomposes, overwhelming the amount of beneficial bacteria in the tank. Without enough bacteria in the tank to handle the increased demands of the dead algae, not all the decomposing algae gets converted into nitrite and nitrate, causing a spike in ammonia or nitrite. The tank will usually compensate for the spike pretty fast, but sensitive shrimp such as CRS may be killed in the process.

Further, while cleaning the algae, it's possible to disturb a substantial amount of beneficial bacteria which also causes an imbalance, throwing the tank into a mini-cycle, harming sensitive shrimp in the process.

It is important to look at everything that happened in order to determine the cause of the shrimp deaths and, in turn, to determine a possible remedy. If the H2O2 wasn't the actual cause, it might explain why performing water changes wasn't helping.
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g - Journal Retired
Complexity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:25 AM   #3
DerekFF
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

H2O2 doesnt last very long in the aquarium(less than 12 hours), however will settle on the bottom if theres no source of good circulation. Shrimp could have been "burned" by the first application and are still slowly dying off from the initial exposure which has nothing to do with current water parameters as any H2O2 is long gone

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
DerekFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:37 AM   #4
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Admittedly, CRS are sensitive shrimps, but I've had amano shrimp jump on top of areas while I'm squirting H2O2 without any problems. I've scared them away, only to have them jump right back on (there are too many to keep them all off). I used to worry that this kind of contact would kill them, but it doesn't. Same thing with my RCS tank. Further, I have never heard anyone report H2O2 killing fish or shrimp before.

It's possible that CRS are more sensitive than Amano shrimp or RCS or I've just missed previous reports of CRS harm somehow, but it still leads me to wonder if there's something else going on.
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
Old 06-04-2012, 05:01 AM   #5
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabeatsco View Post
ok, after dosing about 2-3ml per gallon on a CRS tank. i've lost a few shrimps. i've changed 50%, no good, so i change another 80%.
a few still died last night. what else can i do? will putting more seachem prime work? since it was recommended to dip equipments into Prime after bleaching.
This is about 2-3x the suggested amount.

With good reason...........
Old 06-04-2012, 05:04 AM   #6
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
Further, I have never heard anyone report H2O2 killing fish or shrimp before.

It's possible that CRS are more sensitive than Amano shrimp or RCS or I've just missed previous reports of CRS harm somehow, but it still leads me to wonder if there's something else going on.
CRS are much wimpier than RCS(that which cannot be killed) and here's an example with the OP, there are quite a few others, if you look around more, you will find a few.

Sticking with the 1 ml/gal ratios should prevent issues, like when folks OD Excel, they often think more is better and will cure things, it rarely does...........patience and doing several weaker treatments is much less toxic and risky to the livestock.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:37 AM   #7
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
CRS are much wimpier than RCS(that which cannot be killed) and here's an example with the OP, there are quite a few others, if you look around more, you will find a few.
Good to know then. I figured amanos were hardier, but I didn't think RCS were that much different when it came to H2O2. I'll be sure to keep that in mind when talking with others regarding H2O2 treatments.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:44 PM   #8
ROZDAB
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)

50% and 80% water changes are pretty huge for shrimp tanks too.
ROZDAB is offline   Reply With Quote