Should I try this?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 05-25-2005, 09:37 AM   #1
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Should I try this?

I am setting up a 55 watt ah supply bright kit with a 9325k GE in a day or two. I am going to replace the NO fixture with the kit. What I am wondering is if I should just use this for a while with my 65 watt pc for the same 3.25wpg or use my 40 watt fixture also making it 4.33wpg. The 55 watts for the ah supply kit would replace a 15 watt 2800k NO fixture and a 40 watt 6500k spriral cf 10 gallon fixture. I was thinking that the 55 watt bright kit would actually be more light than what I have now and with the algae situation I am having I'm scared to blast the tank away with 4.33 wpg, or maybe if I have room 4.77wpg.
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2005, 01:28 PM   #2
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Start low and go high. You are going to be blown away over how bright the AH Supply kit is.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2005, 02:29 PM   #3
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

You're already having problems with algae, I'd stick to the light you have for now till you get that issue solved. Adding more light will probably make it worse before it gets better.
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2005, 04:10 PM   #4
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

I have a 55 watt AH over a two foot wide bow front 26 gallon. I don't keep the glass on top to get more light in the tank. I could always use a bit more light than one AH 55 watt on that tank, but not alot more.

You should be able to add a bit more light without a problem, but like Rex said, start slow and add a bit more if you want. Less light for now will help solve the algae issue, depending on your plants.

Is your 37 gallon an extra tall 30" wide tank? Because that will affect things abit too, allowing more light. bob

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Betowess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2005, 04:40 PM   #5
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I only run 2.93wpg, and I've not had problems growing riccia, glosso, and other higher light plants. I see no reason to go to 4+ wpg, unless it's a 5 or 10 gallon tank (which it isn't)
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.