84 Looooong - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-23-2012, 12:55 AM   #16
blt
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I tore down an overgrown 10g and moved all the plants into the 84. Dwarf Sag and crypts in the front, with various stems in the back. I'm going to put a sword in front of the eheim intake, and maybe some more anubias on the wood. Can't seem to get a decent pic with the glare from shop lights.

Current fauna:
1- blue gourami
3- Apisto cactuoides "super red"
7- panda corys, with 11 more in quarantine

The corys are in heaven in this tank. Still pondering what shoaling fish to put in, I want 20-30 of something in the 2-3 inch range. Rasbora borapetenis and bloodfin tetras are the top of my list right now, if anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Thinking about picking up a catalina 72" 3 bulb T5HO with 2 cords and switches, the ability to have 1,2, or 3 bulbs on coupled with adjusting the height above tank should cover anything from low light to way too high.
blt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012, 01:00 AM   #17
radioman
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Those are amazing dimensions. I don't usually subscribe to threads but I really want to watch this one. Keep us updated.
Canon Pimp Club #012
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:24 AM   #18
WoodRiverTroutBum
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Wow, talk about perfect dimensions! I would LOVE to find a tank like this!
WoodRiverTroutBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:49 AM   #19
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Looking great, love the wood and plantings and of course the Corydoras. Nifty fish those. It would be nice to have a clean looking light fixture. I had no idea a 4:1 aspect was so cool when I got my 8' tank now I am hooked. Am watching to see what I can learn from you.

Bloodfins would love the running room. I don't remember if the long bodied rasboras I had liked zooming from end to end in the 5' tank, suspect so. You are definitely on the right track with those two. My Black Neon Tetras love lots of room too even though they are small fish. Just stay away from the deep bodied tetras that just shoal in one spot like Black Phantom, Bleeding Heart, Emperor if you want zooming fish. The only time the Congos zoom is when one is frisky and wants to play chase.

I chickened out on rainbow fish as it was extremely important that my fish leave plants alone and there are reports of rainbows being plant eaters. Same for Congos but mine apparently were well raised and haven't done more than wonder if the Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides whipping in the return water flow was a worm or not.

I am a recent convert to rocks, just put in 2-5 gallon bucketfuls last week which doubled the rocks in the tank from December 2011 when I first put in a bucket of them. Otos and BNP are on them all the time. Plants look great in front of and draped over them. Mine were collected from my yard, tested with nitrate test solution #1 for leaching hardness and scrubbed. A wandering line of them could hold up your hill and anchor your nice wood emphasizing the length of the tank.

I straighten then crop my lousy photos. That alone makes the photo look better. Then I adjust the color as close as I can to what I see then adjust contrast, shadow etc to what the tank really looks like. When I move the photos to photobucket the contrast and whichever seem to go right back to whatever they were before. At least I got rid of the glare from lighting and the tank is more or less level in the photos.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:31 AM   #20
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

wow - love the tank, first time I've seen one that shape/size. The way you have the left side sloped really balances out the scape. Very nice!
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #21
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

This is beast!
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:44 AM   #22
blt
Algae Grower

Starting to get some noticeable growth in both the plant and algae department. I'm fighting lots of algae on the crypts and dwarf sag, but very little in the rest of the tank. Fighting it with excel and lighting changes.

No real changes except the addition of an Amazon Sword and upped the number of Pandas to 15. Going to get a bristlenose or two to help with the algae once temps cool down and I can get some fish shipped in. The rainbowfish suggestion has got me thinking about going with 6-8 medium sized rainbows and 15 or so Blackline Rasboras to finish out the stocking. Need some activity in the upper portions of the tank, right now the substrate is aflutter but the rest of the tank feels pretty dead.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:18 AM   #23
pandacory
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You could do 8 rainbows in a mixed group, 3males, 5females. 6 may be risky since 1 male will have to be both betta and gamma. Just be sure to get them young and keep them well fed. Rainbows that eat plants tend to be ones that took to it after not being fed, imo. after rainbow intro, your gourami will probably stick to the thick weeds since he probably can't keep up in the fast lane on the autobahn. You will notice the rainbows get in on the cucumber or whatever else you leave for the plecs and cories.

One of my favorite communities was turquoise rainbows, panda cories, rasboras, couple of otos and 1 honey gourami. Seemed to all get along and compliment each other in behavior and tank position/feeding habits.
pandacory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:49 AM   #24
togified
Algae Grower

get a school of 3-4 angels and 15+ cardinals.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:34 AM   #25
blt
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandacory View Post
You could do 8 rainbows in a mixed group, 3males, 5females. 6 may be risky since 1 male will have to be both betta and gamma. Just be sure to get them young and keep them well fed. Rainbows that eat plants tend to be ones that took to it after not being fed, imo. after rainbow intro, your gourami will probably stick to the thick weeds since he probably can't keep up in the fast lane on the autobahn. You will notice the rainbows get in on the cucumber or whatever else you leave for the plecs and cories.

One of my favorite communities was turquoise rainbows, panda cories, rasboras, couple of otos and 1 honey gourami. Seemed to all get along and compliment each other in behavior and tank position/feeding habits.
Good to know on the rainbows, I haven't done much research on the various species or male/female ratios yet. Interesting about the gourami, right now he's constantly scouring every inch of the tank for food and bulldozing any fish in his way.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:36 AM   #26
blt
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by togified View Post
get a school of 3-4 angels and 15+ cardinals.
I'd thought about angels, but I feel they're just to tall for this tank. I like cardinals, but really want something a bit more active that will occupy the upper portions of the tank more.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:14 AM   #27
Sneasle
Algae Grower

Wow, that is a really nice tank. I wonder if anyone makes one similar, maybe 72x24x24?
Sneasle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:05 AM   #28
blt
Algae Grower

Added 20 rasbora boraptensis and 2 bristlenose plecos. Here are the rasboras in action during the water change today:

http://youtu.be/mddnu9ekV-s
Old 09-04-2012, 02:57 AM   #29
blt
Algae Grower

Progress shot 9-3-12:

Most of the plants are doing well, there was only some stargrass that slowly withered away. The rasboras have been a fantastic addition to the tank and really brought it to life.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:11 AM   #30
Walleye
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Your tank is looking real good! Can't wait to see it with the plants grown in
Walleye is offline   Reply With Quote