[The Wild Mess] 12g long [history photos in 2nd post]
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-15-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)

[The Wild Mess] 12g long [history photos in 2nd post]

[will update with more text and photos later]

So I've had my husband's tank up and running on his desk (I maintain it) and has been going since... May I think? [Censor] ton of photos to dig up to show its progress but its finally stable enough to make a journal.

Current stats:
Tank: 12 gallon long Mr. Aqua
Heater:
DIY inline75 Watt Eheim Jagar set at 76F
Filter:
Eheim 2211 classic Canister Filter
Light:
USA Satalite Freshwater + LED
Substrate:
Black Diamond blasting "sand"
Hardscape: Rosequarts rocks
Fauna: 1 male Dwarf Puffer Grim "[Censor]of the Deep" (rhymes with nick)
2 Otos (had more.. will be adding more)
??? TONS of Cherry/rilli mix shrimp
?? MTS and pond snails
Flora:Pennywort
Hydro sp. Japan
Golden(?) Creeping Jenny
Pygmy Chain sword
Riccia
Some unwanted duckweed...
Ferts:Seacehm Excel
Seacehm Flourish
Seacehm Iron
Seacehm Pottasium
Seacehm Phosphourus
Other Misc.: Worm cone feeder
Thermometer
Cut foam over canister intake

This tank has been through a lot, including some complete rescaping and a few deaths. Here are some current tank shots.. Will post history and older photos later after I find them all.
Panaroamic view from husband's seat

Panoramic view from my seat

Residents

Grim is horrified of the camera.. no clear shots so here's a collage of the yellow blur

Some more photos

Last edited by AquaAurora; 01-14-2015 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: more photos added
AquaAurora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Default In the Begining there was..

Tank history from its humble start... took a while to dig these up (sorry some photos suck)

[3/28/14] LED lights arrive.. have an issue with a battery getting jammed in the remote but husband fixes that.

[4/17/14] Cherry/rilli shrimp arrive. Originally intended for picos.. the colonies failed and only 5 survived.. which started the colony in the 12g..

[4/29-30/14] Tank FINALLY gets here (was on back order)

Set up and cycle Started (using eheim 2211 canister and eheim jagar 75 watt heater). Curtians used to prevent algae.. no light no algae! you can see my 7g Aquatop in the background, gave my nearly cycled filter to him and started a new filter cycle (with a little bit of the media) on the 7g.

[5/13-14/14] Tank cycled! First plant attempt: Blyxa j. and mini micro sword.

3 dwarf puffers arrive in mail and are dripped in.. later determine 1 male and 2 female.

[5/19/14] First puffer death (one dove onto the floor when acclimating, its the one that died) site made a big stink about honoring their 7day after arrival live guarantee.. said they were "making a special exception" for me..won't buy from them again...

[5/21/14] Got more blyxa in.. they were melted.. tried to salvage a few to plant but that went bad real fast.. major water change and threw them all out. Also got a new dwarf puffer from another source (female)

[5/30/14] Got healthy shipment of blyxa a. and italian val. Due to disaster in 20g long (rhizome rot destroying rove 3/4 the tank plants- anubias) 3 otos were moved from 20g to 12g as the betta in 20g was getting stressed and aggressive with them (it loved the anubias :c)

[6/3/14] Last view with heater in tank.. and now it has DII inline heater! (has been working great btw)

A really good shot of one of the otos (do full size view)

One of the female puffers (largest of them)

[7/7/14] Blyxa has been dieing off.. vals taking over. Smallest female as harassed by the male until she jumped the day before. Made a Lexan lid for the tank and put in rose quarts rocks of added line of sight break up

Female foreground, male background

[8/1/14] otos are getting FAT and vals are really dominating the tank

[8/13/14] One of the otos had an odd unexplained pale spot (I feared columnaris) so I quarantined in a small cube with Prime for 36 hours (qt tank was occupied).. it was healthy so it was put back into the tank.

[9/6-7/14] After a long fight with hair algae which i was loosing I tried removing and hydrogen peroxide dipping all the plants + grabbed some new ones from my bubble bowl pico as it was overgrown. Fish were removed and substrate was siphoned. The 5 remaining shrimp from the picos were also added to the 12g. Tank replanted and fish dripped back in. (sorry bad photos, tank lights off). Plan list now also has micro sword and pygmy chain sword.

[9/8/14] No shrimp seem to have been eaten as they were intended to be..

[9/22/14] Dared to try to use Excel in teh val heavy tank (was using 1/12th a dose-0.1 ml in 12g) all vals completely melted! Added more plants from bubble bowl + some from plant dump tank. Current list: mini micro sword, micro sword, pygmy chain sword, blyxa j. (a. all died, and vals are gone), penny wort, hydro sp. japan. Also got a worm feeder cone.

[9/28/14] Added 1 more oto from 7g to 12g tank, oto total now is 4

[10/2/14] Notice shrimp females seem berried (they won't let me get a shot of the eggs though)

[10/5/14] YUP! I got shrimplets!

[10/18/14] nothing special just some shots of shrimp and otos

[10/22/14] shrimplet are growing fast! + the 2 main momas

[10/27/14] Removed the blyxa, micro sword and mini micro sword, swords were hidden by other plants and blyxa getting mothered out for light.

[11/9/14]Tank growth progress shots.. everything it taking over now ^^

[11/18/14]Few cropped shots taken after a water change. Also moma shrimp finally lets me see her berried glory- more babies o the way! Also I have semi rampant green dust and green spot algae on the glass at this point (came in on pennywort and hydro)

[11/21/14] post pennywort trim Grim, shrimp, and otos

[11/27/14]Just some more shots

[12/3/14] My view and a water change

[12/7-9/14] the trio of original otos bought in April, love photographing them! Sadly this is the last photo of the group, one died mysteriously soon after :c Going to try to get some more once quarantine tank is done with mini cycle.

Whoo finally done!

Bump: A quick shrimplet shot from today.. I put in a bit of shrimp food and no one went for it (they love cleaning the rocks and plants more... might just RAOK the food off...)

I did a water change on Tuesday and Grim decided to be a retard and zipped up the siphon tube. The water level was getting low and plants getting bunched up, I was holding it still and he had the choice to dart through plants or at the tube... he went straight to the tube =.= He got stuck in it and I had to (gently) blow air through it to pop him out in the dump bucket.. then cup him back into the tank. He seemed undamaged and just rattled.. he's still fine today but does not like me still (swims away whenever he notices I'm looking at him)...

Bump: A quick shrimplet shot from today.. I put in a bit of shrimp food and no one went for it (they love cleaning the rocks and plants more... might just RAOK the food off...)

I did a water change on Tuesday and Grim decided to be a retard and zipped up the siphon tube. The water level was getting low and plants getting bunched up, I was holding it still and he had the choice to dart through plants or at the tube... he went straight to the tube =.= He got stuck in it and I had to (gently) blow air through it to pop him out in the dump bucket.. then cup him back into the tank. He seemed undamaged and just rattled.. he's still fine today but does not like me still (swims away whenever he notices I'm looking at him)...

Old 12-20-2014, 07:15 PM   #3
Powerclown
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice story,nice tank,and awesome pics,thanks for sharing
Powerclown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerclown View Post
Nice story,nice tank,and awesome pics,thanks for sharing
Thank you ^^ happy to share.

A quick shrimplet shot from today.. I put in a bit of shrimp food and no one went for it (they love cleaning the rocks and plants more... might just RAOK the food off...)

Did my 2nd water change of the week today (only sucked up 3 shrimp (that I found... i use a blue bucket and check every hour to see if I spot another tiny shrimplet in there) this time and put them back. The tank cleaning was finished just before lights out (night mode). I noticed some riccia hanging form the pennywort was pearling and looked like holiday lights so thought I'd share^^

Old 01-13-2015, 07:18 PM   #5
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Default Update

No FTS shot today but some shots of the shrimp.. Grim still is horrified of the camera and makes getting an in focus shot a real pain.

A cool shot of pennywort and condensation

Sadly I lost my otos -except for one- I think because I failed to feed blanched veggies for a bit, so back to stuffing cucumber in every time its done. I ordered some zebra otos from msjikzed (which hopefully will be here Friday). I plan to move the regular oto to the 55g and put the new zebras in then go through the fun of frequent water changes for a mini cycle.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:46 PM   #6
Josh40996
Algae Grower

I like it.
Looks very natural.
That last picture of the pennywort is cool.
I know how you feel about not being able to take pictures of grim, my killiefish shows off his colour all day long until I get out the camera to take a picture. He instantly bleaches out his colours and goes all drab looking... We'll get our killer shot one day!
Old 01-15-2015, 04:27 PM   #7
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh40996 View Post
I like it.
Looks very natural.
That last picture of the pennywort is cool.
I know how you feel about not being able to take pictures of grim, my killiefish shows off his colour all day long until I get out the camera to take a picture. He instantly bleaches out his colours and goes all drab looking... We'll get our killer shot one day!
THank you ^^
Hopefully we get lucky some day... the puffer is staring at me right now like "The hell you will!" He's starting to get his markings for sexual maturity ('wrinkles' by the eyes and a iridescent looking highlight over the eyes) but no chance of a clear shot to show that >.<

Also 3rd generation of shrimp are on the way!!
Old 01-16-2015, 04:52 PM   #8
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Default New additions!

So good news! zebra otos (ordered from msjikzd) came in today! bad news: one didn't make it :c I wish she lived just a little bit closer to me (closer to 1 hour or less drive), I would have drove to pick up the fish instead...but people drive like [censor] morons in Pa... I'd probably get smashed into my some idiot that doesn't understand "yield, stop, or red light with 'no turn on red sign'" or to use a turn signal and actually look before a lane change... ugh hate driving in this state... But 4 out of 5 otos isn't bad.
Caught out the regular oto from the 12g to put into the 55g with the other 5 regulars and am now dripping in the new guys/gals. Then its pretty much all tank lights off for the day so they get some dark to settle in. Will hopefully post photos tomorrow.
The regular oto finished a 30-45 minute drip and went into the 55, immediately attached itself to the front glass and got to work. Turned off the light for that tank and the 20g long by it just to reduce any possible stress. I wonder if it will think "yay I'm not contending with shrimp for food any more!... Ooh [censor] now I get to deal with everyone in here eating the veggies...." (as all by the rainbowfish like to take pecks at the zucchini or cucumber put in).
Old 02-19-2015, 08:49 PM   #9
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Whoops I never posted photos of the zebra otos sorry! Sadly I lost one more oto in the first week the the remaining 3 are doing great. Each had a unique pattern to it make them fairly easy to tell apart, my husband says he will name them all soon. I also have a new generation of cherrie shrimplets in the tank that were born in the past week.. its made water changes take much longer now as I spend 20-60 minutes staring into the removed water bucket looking for itty bitty shrimp to net back out and put in the tank.. I swear the dwarf puffer doesn't eat any babies, I find so many (easily pulled 30 out of the bucket from the last water change)! I probable kill more from the act of siphoning or ones I don't remove from the bucket before its dumped, than would die from natural selection in the tank if it wasn't touched.
I'm still loosing horribly int eh battle against green spot algae and not (kept short) black beard algae.. I dose 3x excel and phosphorus each day (normal doses for other ferts) but no luck >.<
Duckweed has gotten to "grow rampant" stage.. it seems to take a few weeks after first introduction to start building momentum.

Most the shrimplets I had to recollect out of the water change bucket a few days ago(got another 10 or so after putting these back in the tank).
Old 03-11-2015, 05:11 PM   #10
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

The cherry gals are pretty much constantly spitting out babies now! I finally reduced water changes from 2x a week to once a week. Duckweed has a habit of running rampant in the tank to every 1-2 weeks I cup it out and let it re-grow. Otos and puffer are doing well... I almost want to say I'm starting to win the algae war but I'm sure it'll explode as soon as I click "post" and be a tank full-o-green=spot in an instant just to spite me >.>

I had a bad dream a few nights ago, it felt very real and when I came into the office I panicked as ALL the plants had melted and completely vanished from the tank, there were just some leaves left by the filter and the otos, shrimp, and puffer where all seeing 'shelter' by a slice of cucumber in the tank. I started freaking out and trying to figure out how to keep them all from dieing from the impending ammonia spike (realisically they'd all be dead already), and debated moving the otos to teh 55 and putting the puffer and shrimp in breeder baskets (fine mesh style0 in there too to keep alive. When I walked by the 55 i noticed it was not my current scape, I have vals, amazon sword, giant hair grass, and some other plants I don't own... then I woke up... I addmitedly was worried about looking at teh tank that morning, as I feared the dream was a permission of disaster, fortunately not it wasn't.....
Why can't I ever have happy fish keeping dreams?.. Well I guess I did have ONE though it was odd..: went to some ladies house to buy dwarf shrimp (neo species). The house was a maze that literally changed as you went through rooms (turn around and last room is different). Finally got outside to backyard, shrimp were in a pool (real built into the ground get 10 deep pool) and the lady started catching shrimp out.. They were as big as a medium sized dog! 3' long and easily 30-40lbs!!! They were all mixes of the various types chocolate, blue bolt, crs , the colorful rilli, etc.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:38 PM   #11
Freemananana
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

I really do enjoy looking at this tank. It is such a jungle! So different from many of the aquascapes you see around here. Your otos are awesome by the way. Sad to see the normal ones didn't fare too well. Do you sell the RCS or just let them endlessly breed?

Any feedback is welcome~
Freemananana is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2015, 05:51 PM   #12
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
I really do enjoy looking at this tank. It is such a jungle! So different from many of the aquascapes you see around here. Your otos are awesome by the way. Sad to see the normal ones didn't fare too well. Do you sell the RCS or just let them endlessly breed?
Thank you ^^ I started out trying to scape.. I wanted a thick low mat of hydro japan like clover fields with taller pygmy chain sword and make a few 'arcs' with the penny wort.. Then everything just went crazy and I left it be and slapped in some creeping jenny. ^^''
Thank you, I love the zebras they're really cool, easier to tell the zebra apart from each other than the regulars (each have a slightly different pattern).
Currently I don't sell any shrimp, the colony could triple before the tank started looking 'full' and I'd want to remove any. I don't do any culling (except accidental from water changes though I try to catch and put 'em all back but the newborns are so damn tiny and hard to find in the bucket!) so if I did sell it'd be the whole range of mix grade from low end to fire red.
If you are looking to buy shrimp post a WTB thread in the WTB/RAOK section and ask for cherry culls if you want cheap ones (usually sold for 0.50-$1 each instead of $2-3 each). Make sure the seller offers insulation and DOA guarantee to avoid issues and keep an eye on weather as I've heard a lot of heat packs fail at 32F and lower. Also do not buy if they want you to pay as "gift" in paypal, that's a red flag for scammers, only pay as "goods and services".
Old 03-11-2015, 06:48 PM   #13
Freemananana
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

I actually bought 40 of them at $0.50 just recently and they seem to be loving my community tank. I was just curious really. And if you said you were selling them, I'd be interested in snagging some for a 5G I want to set up and get running.

Glad to see you have had your success with the tank. What is the thin grassy like plant? It is quite interesting to me. Looks like a small jungle val.

Any feedback is welcome~
Freemananana is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2015, 07:01 PM   #14
nawilson89
Planted Member

My goodness that is beautiful.

I wish I could keep Dwarf Puffers with Dario Dario, cuz i Love those fish!
nawilson89 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2015, 07:24 PM   #15
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
I actually bought 40 of them at $0.50 just recently and they seem to be loving my community tank. I was just curious really. And if you said you were selling them, I'd be interested in snagging some for a 5G I want to set up and get running.

Glad to see you have had your success with the tank. What is the thin grassy like plant? It is quite interesting to me. Looks like a small jungle val.
Narrow Leaf Pygmy Chain Sword. Love it! Starts small but once it's settled in it spits out run a EVERYWHERE and the it starts getting tall (up to around 6" now").

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawilson89 View Post
My goodness that is beautiful.

I wish I could keep Dwarf Puffers with Dario Dario, cuz i Love those fish!
I'm not sure about their comparability pH and temp wise (I'd looked datiodario before but forget) but the puffers would be too aggressive and out compete the Dario for food sadly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.