Hyzer's 40G Breeder - Dutch
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-23-2011, 02:03 AM   #1
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Hyzer's 40G Breeder - Dutch

I'm getting settled in after our cross-country move, so I figured I would get this tank rolling again.

Equipment:
-36" Catalina 3x T5HO w moonlights
-Eheim 2217, two Koralia nanos
-10lb. pressurized CO2, house filter reactor
-Hydor inline heater

Just a couple small changes in equipment: new stand (smaller rivet rack) and flip top legs for my light fixture. The movers managed to lose the corner posts to my old stand, so I picked up another inexpensive but strong rivet rack. I really like how the 40 is a perfect fit on this new rack. I may add wooden siding somewhere down the line to be a bit more stylish.

The new light fixture legs were necessary because the drywall is very thin in my new place. I didn't feel comfortable hanging the light using my previous method, even with toggle bolts. I wanted at least some of the convenience of my ratcheting pulley system from before so I went with the flip top.

Most of the plants made it, but my crypts (except parva) and mosses are really hurting. At least some of them seem to be making a comeback. I planted everything to just grow for now, I will eventually try to make it look good. Here's a pic from tonight:

Old thread:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...n-breeder.html

I learned A LOT about this hobby with this tank, so I hope to improve.

Thanks for checking it out. I'll try to keep this thread updated.

Update October 2013

Last edited by Hyzer; 01-28-2014 at 03:33 AM.. Reason: update
Hyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2011, 03:49 AM   #2
i'm a ninja
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

What happened to the driftwood? It looked fantastic in the old set-ups
i'm a ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:57 AM   #3
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm a ninja View Post
What happened to the driftwood? It looked fantastic in the old set-ups
I saved that piece and plan on using it again somewhere. Not sure If I want to try a dutch style with this one. If I go dutch, I will use that manzy in a 29g with low light intensity.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:41 AM   #4
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I decided to see what type of plants I can grow in this new (softer) water. I've noticed that the Rotala butterfly grows much more quickly and has larger leaves, which gives me hope that I can pick up some more exotic stems for this tank.

I've always drooled over the densely planted and colorful dutch tanks, so I thought I would give it a try. I know it looks bare at the moment. Lots of growing, trimming, and planting to do.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:15 AM   #5
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

I've been waiting for you setup tanks again!

What is your water parameters here, you mentioned it's softer, do you know what it is? Tank is growing in nicely, and I can't wait to see it in a few weeks.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:08 AM   #6
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
I've been waiting for you setup tanks again!

What is your water parameters here, you mentioned it's softer, do you know what it is? Tank is growing in nicely, and I can't wait to see it in a few weeks.
Hey Sara!

GH~5-6
KH~4
Ph~7
Old 12-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

We have almost the same parameters, my kh is usually 3 - 4 and Gh varies 6 - 9 throughout the year. I suspect you'll be able to grow darn near everything. I had tonias, erios and other plants that are 'soft water plants' grow great. I think you'll be pleased, really.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Awesome start already! So jealous you decided on a style, I'm having difficulty. I have to say I've heard Dutch style is a pain but when you get it right, it's wonderful. But after seeing your last tank, I have no doubts you'll create a wonderful tank.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:49 PM   #9
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
We have almost the same parameters, my kh is usually 3 - 4 and Gh varies 6 - 9 throughout the year. I suspect you'll be able to grow darn near everything. I had tonias, erios and other plants that are 'soft water plants' grow great. I think you'll be pleased, really.
Yeah, I'm excited to see what I can grow. Just got a new job, so I should be able to afford some cool ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbguy View Post
Awesome start already! So jealous you decided on a style, I'm having difficulty. I have to say I've heard Dutch style is a pain but when you get it right, it's wonderful. But after seeing your last tank, I have no doubts you'll create a wonderful tank.
Thanks for the kind words. Since I first started googling "planted aquarium" I have been in love with dutch tanks. I am ready to keep up on the trimming and dosing, plus the softer water should help.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:50 AM   #10
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't have a picture of it, but the Microsword is starting to send out some runners. It grows much more slowly than I remember.

The Rotala Rotundifolia responded well to it's first trim.

I'm really excited that the Rotala Butterfly is staying healthy. Soon I should have enough stems for a thick red bunch. I'm hoping the Stellatus handles it's first trim well. Sunset Hygro is growing how it usually does for me: nice and...white.

The Ludwigia Glandulosa is showing a tiny bit of color and the leaves seem to be growing more healthily in this water.

For this photo session, I used the "Aquarium" setting on my point-n-shoot. I think the pictures look quite a bit less faded. In photoshop, duplicating layers, multiplying, and adjusting opacity helped with the brightness. Thanks for checking out my pics.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:52 AM   #11
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Looking great man. Exciting to be able to grow all those nice stems. Many years ago I lived in an area with extremely soft water, so for me it went the other way. I even managed to kill your glandulosa
Nice images too, we never got around to Photoshop together.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #12
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
Looking great man. Exciting to be able to grow all those nice stems. Many years ago I lived in an area with extremely soft water, so for me it went the other way. I even managed to kill your glandulosa
Nice images too, we never got around to Photoshop together.
I'm definitely stoked to have med-soft water now.

What happened to the glandulosa? Last time I saw it in your tank it looked healthy. I can send you more whenever you want some. Any plant you'd like to try.

I'm missing Cali a bit. Hopefully I can get back there for some brew and T's PhotoShop Course sometime in the near future. Maybe we can tweak the color in my pics to make my sunset look like yours, haha.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:42 AM   #13
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Trimmed the back row last week and things are starting to fill in again. I think I am going to let everything grow all the way out this time.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #14
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Micro bubbles created by the atomic diffuser have always bothered me, so I decided to test out the inexpensive Ista Mix Max (12"). It is about 2x as loud as my 2217 so I'm not sure if it is right for an open stand.

I may just go ahead and finally build myself a PVC inline or try running this Ista without the impellers if the noise continues to bother me.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:24 AM   #15
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Tank looks awesome. Is that the bronze wendtii? Looks awesome, very bullous or whatever that's called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzer View Post
What happened to the glandulosa? Last time I saw it in your tank it looked healthy. I can send you more whenever you want some. Any plant you'd like to try.
What happened... I touched it. Cut off the long stem and replanted, never recovered after that. But hey, the SS Hygro still looks great. Thanks for the offer, but I am slowly growing out of my collectoritis (by losing plants here and there).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzer View Post
I'm missing Cali a bit. Hopefully I can get back there for some brew and T's PhotoShop Course sometime in the near future. Maybe we can tweak the color in my pics to make my sunset look like yours, haha.
Let me know when you are in the area, you need to visit your fish... Regarding brew, got an Irish Red that turned out really tasty, and just ordered stuff to make a Kolsch, a Cali Steam, and a Maibock, so no fear of running out anytime soon.

Last edited by Wasserpest; 01-26-2012 at 08:01 PM..
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote