Planted NanoCube Eheim Aquastyle 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
Playhouse
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Planted NanoCube Eheim Aquastyle 4

Its been over a year since I last set up a tank. After dreaming about owning another I decided to dive in. My budget was $200 (give or take) I wanted a modern look with submersed filter. I think The Eheim Aquastyle 4 is a great tank for two reasons: the lighting is adequate for plants with room for expansion if desired, and the tank is beautiful. The round edges really add value in my opinion. All-in-all I am more than happy with how everything turned out and continue to enjoy watching it grow.

This journal will track the progress of my tank and hopefully inspire others. Those who are interested in a planted nano or purchasing an Eheim in particular can use this tank to benchmark its capabilities.

I set this tank up almost a month ago from the day of this post with stock lighting and filter. The only addition to this tank is a small heater and a Coralife Power Center to control the light schedule.

Ludwigia Ovalis
Micranthemum Umbrosum
Stellata Erectus
Ludwigia Peruensis
Fissidens Fontanus
Dwarf Hairgrass

Cherry shrimp

Bump: Here are the updated photos from one month. Some stem plants were rearranged from front to back for better lighting, and appeal. The moss finally has overgrown the steel mesh and was trimmed. The clippings were added to the nooks and crannies of the driftwood for an aged look.

One of the cherries has made more shrimp and given me new little miniature shrimp to enjoy. Their antics are amusing and they give the tank a larger scale when observing. When they get bigger they will be going back to the pet shop for store credit.

There is also a nice copepod population growing. along with the copepods, i have also sighted multiple amphipods grazing under the shade of the grass as well as climbing on the driftwood..

I change about 10% of the water volume on a bi-daily basis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank corner 1 week.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	406026  

Name:	Tank Front 1 week.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	406034  

Name:	Tank Side 1 week.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	406042  

Name:	tank corner 1 month.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	406050  

Name:	tank side 1 month.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	406058  

Name:	far side 1 month.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	406066  

Last edited by Playhouse; 12-21-2014 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Playhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2015, 06:58 AM   #2
Playhouse
Algae Grower

Default New CO2-second light- shrimp- plants

One week from today I upgraded my tank in multiple ways. I love how it looked and thought the progress was steady. I think the aquarium keeping hobby is one of those things that will consume your money without any justifiable reason.

The tank was exceeding my expectations in every way, so naturally I upgraded it by adding an additional light, CO2, three more plants, and some high grade CRS. :P

Originally, my intentions were to document the changes of each addition independently, but my desire for instant gratification has led me to complete a new experiment where I just put all ingredients into the bowl and shake, paying no regard to order.

Generally speaking, things are progressing according to plan. The stem plants have tightened up distance between nodes, color has increased to lower leaves, algae growth has come to a screeching halt and moss is filling in the gaps.

Bump: I noticed a gap between the DW. The baby tears behind were not receiving enough light and looking thin at the lower part of the stems, so I placed a single blyxa japonica. I'm interested to see if this will ultimately be a regret, as it looks great now, but when overgrown might become a problem. The moss that was centered before has been trimmed down almost to the mesh and once again anchored into small crevasses in the DW, the remaining portion was placed on top to allow room for the Mini Pellia, which have plans in the future of this tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new tank 4th with co2 and second light.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	351.9 KB
ID:	411146  

Name:	mini pellia 4th.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	392.7 KB
ID:	411154  

Last edited by Playhouse; 01-04-2015 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: Double posting
Old 01-04-2015, 07:11 AM   #3
Playhouse
Algae Grower

Default Additional photos

1/4/2015
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hairgrass roots 4th.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	411162  

Name:	tank side 4th.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	411170  

Name:	tank top 4th.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	411178  

Old 05-13-2015, 11:16 AM   #4
sahajaydip
Algae Grower

Nice tank.Like the set up
sahajaydip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
aquastyle, cherry shrimp, eheim, nano, planted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.