bprinehart's Mr. Aqua 25 Cube / High Tech 1st Attempt Advice and Criticism Welcome!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-02-2015, 02:30 AM   #1
bprinehart
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

bprinehart's Mr. Aqua 25 Cube / High Tech 1st Attempt Advice and Criticism Welcome!

Hello PT and thanks for stopping by my thread!

I've been lurking here for quite a few months, researching, gathering, planning and I'm just about ready to set sail on my new adventure in aquaria.

About Me:
I'm a 37 year old computer geek, married with an awesome wife and a beautiful child. I've been taking care of aquariums pretty much my whole life, starting with ye olde goldfish bowl at a very early age, axolotls as a teen, cichlids as a young adult onto reefs and marine tanks, and now back to freshwater and plants.

Inspiration for this tank:

I'd be totally lying if I didn't say that seeing shots of the Amano Iwagumi / Nature style over and over again didn't lure me over to the dark side, although I see myself moving more towards a hybrid aesthetic rather than sticking to strict rules about arrangements. One of my other hobbies is collecting and smoking tobacco pipes. (I know, it's a filthy habit. But I don't do it very often, mainly when I'm fishing, and I enjoy the beauty of the briar wood and craftsmanship more than anything.) Most quality pipes are made from briar wood, which primarily comes from the large burls that form at the bases of the heath tree / bush depending on the size of the specimen. These are found all over the rocky cliffs and scrub forests of the mediterranean and a few other locales throughout the world. I've always romanticised the image of the stout little tree clinging to life in a rocky crag, managing to thrive in an otherwise inhospitable environment. I'm always amazed at how mother nature manages to cling onto life in the places that are out of the way. So even if only tangentially this is the image I have in my mind when I set about to make a tank for my office: a stubborn old tree on a mountain side.

About the tank:

Mr. Aqua 25G cube 18"x18"x18"

Equipment:
Circulation- Vortech MP10w-ES Circulation Pump

Filtration- SunSun HW-302 Canister

CO2 - Modified Reef Octopus BioPellet Reactor / DIY Cerges Reactor (Had this lying around from my reefing days and decided it was absolutely perfect for my purposes)
5lb Aluminum CO2 canister purchased from local homebrew warehouse
Matheson 3104c Dual Stage Regulator (Fleabay special )
CGA320.Com Post Body Kit

Heater- DIY Inline

Controller- Neptune Apex Jr controller w/ Temp Probe (I plan to add a pH probe to this for solenoid control)

Lighting- Beamswork Green Element Evo 6500K 10x 3w LED

Substrate / Hardscape- ADA Aquasoil Amazonia, Lava Rock rubble for help with the slope, Seiryu / Ryuoh Stone and some spider wood.

Dosing philosophy: I think for me the EI method will make the most sense. Please feel free to chime in on what you use and recommend.

Stocking List: (All plants on order as of 06/18/15):

Flora:
HC Cuba
Helanthium tenellum
Pogostemon helferi aka "Downoi"
Alternanthera reineckii sp. mini
Staurogyne repens
Lindernia Rotundifolia (Varigated)
Ludwigia rubin
Anubias nana petite
Bucephalandra catherine
Cryptocoryne wendtii "Florida Sunset"
Rotala enie
Rotala Caterpillar
Rotala colorata

Fauna:
Still TBD

I think that about sums it up for a good start to the journal. Some pics of where we are right now to follow in next post.

Last edited by bprinehart; 06-18-2015 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: updated
bprinehart is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2015, 12:20 PM   #2
bprinehart
Algae Grower

Some pictures....finally figured this out.

Which scape do you guys like better the first or second? I'm leaning towards the first (top) personally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150601_213429.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	480762  

Name:	20150601_213238.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	480770  

Name:	20150601_212849.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	480778  

Name:	20150601_212858.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	480786  

Name:	20150601_212906.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	480794  

Name:	20150601_213211.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	480802  

Old 06-02-2015, 01:35 PM   #3
natebuchholz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Great looking start! I think my vote is for the first of the two scapes, however, I would suggest omitting the driftwood or doing something different with it to better integrate it into your scape. Right now it just looks to alien to be in the little world you have created.

Journals:
Long............XII
natebuchholz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2015, 07:06 PM   #4
bprinehart
Algae Grower

Thanks for the feedback Nate! I'll keep tweaking at it and then seeing what I can come up with. I really like that 12G Mr. Aqua you have. How is your emmersed project coming along?

-Brian
Old 06-02-2015, 07:19 PM   #5
natebuchholz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprinehart View Post
Thanks for the feedback Nate! I'll keep tweaking at it and then seeing what I can come up with. I really like that 12G Mr. Aqua you have. How is your emmersed project coming along?

-Brian
I'm excited to see what you come up with. It is really difficult to mix driftwood and rock in a scape.

Thank you for the kind words; the emersed project is going great! I can't stop my plants from growing. It's currently re-growing from selling all of my stock.

Journals:
Long............XII
Old 06-02-2015, 09:38 PM   #6
Hetzer
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Great start Brian!
Hetzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2015, 05:24 PM   #7
bprinehart
Algae Grower

Right now I'm trying to figure out where to get my water from. This tank is in my office. We use an ion exchange system here because we're on a well. So our pH is usually pretty low to begin with out of the tap, 6.5 and lower typically, and it's super soft. Pushing CO2 I want to make sure I have decent decent control over pH fluctuations and prevent crashes. Also, I don't think water that's full of sodium ions is recommended. I have fairly decent water out of the tap at home, pH about 7.2 and about 3 dKh. But the idea of hauling 100lbs of water in every week to do a water changes doesn't excite me greatly.

I'm debating whether to go ahead and try to start a carpet with DSM while investigating our water parameters a bit more.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:36 PM   #8
SevenportsJohn
Sponsor

PTrader: (1/100%)

You mind showing where your intake and returns are? The pictures don't show any unless you removed them for the shots. Not sure if they are HOB or if you drilled the tank. And your planning on doing about 50% water changes every week?

SevenportsJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2015, 05:39 PM   #9
bprinehart
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenportsJohn View Post
You mind showing where your intake and returns are? The pictures don't show any unless you removed them for the shots. Not sure if they are HOB or if you drilled the tank. And your planning on doing about 50% water changes every week?
John-

They're there. Just glass. Hang on back type. And yeah, if I go with the EI dosing regime, I would be commiting to 50% weekly changes.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:39 PM   #10
natebuchholz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenportsJohn View Post
Hey John,
I think there is a frosted background on this tank making it hard to see the intake and outtake but, if you look close it is visible. Looks like a standard Sunsun canister for filtration.

^Ha ha, you beat me to it

Journals:
Long............XII

Last edited by natebuchholz; 06-03-2015 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: too slow.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:44 PM   #11
SevenportsJohn
Sponsor

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprinehart View Post
John-

They're there. Just glass. Hang on back type. And yeah, if I go with the EI dosing regime, I would be commiting to 50% weekly changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by natebuchholz View Post
Hey John,
I think there is a frosted background on this tank making it hard to see the intake and outtake but, if you look close it is visible. Looks like a standard Sunsun canister for filtration.

^Ha ha, you beat me to it
Haha, holy crap no wonder. It is frosted, didn't notice that.

SevenportsJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2015, 05:44 PM   #12
bprinehart
Algae Grower

Old 06-08-2015, 01:11 PM   #13
bprinehart
Algae Grower

OK so I think I've got my water situation figured out. I'm going to have to lug my tap water in from home. The only issue I have at home is I've got less than 1 dKH out of the tap there, and slightly less than 3 degrees of GH. So my plan is to condition the water with Seachem equillibrium, and bicarbonate of soda to boost my tap up to about 4degrees of each. I think that coupled with keeping a small amount of crushed coral in my SunSun should help me to maintain a stable GH and KH while injecting CO2.

Anybody have any thoughts or experience with similar situation, does this sound like a sound plan of action?

-Brian
Old 06-08-2015, 05:36 PM   #14
bprinehart
Algae Grower

Just got this bad boy in and hacked in place.

Name:	pwmmer.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	482961
Old 06-18-2015, 11:16 PM   #15
bprinehart
Algae Grower

Got a nice package deal containing all the plant species I had my eyes on for a very fair price IMO. Should have the plants Monday or Tuesday :woot:!

HC Cuba
Helanthium tenellum
Pogostemon helferi aka "Downoi"
Alternanthera reineckii sp. mini
Staurogyne repens
Lindernia Rotundifolia (Varigated)
Ludwigia rubin
Anubias nana petite
Bucephalandra catherine
Cryptocoryne wendtii "Florida Sunset"
Rotala enie
Rotala Caterpillar
Rotala colorata

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.