LF 6"-8" diameter tree stump.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Colorado

Old 06-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #1
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

LF 6"-8" diameter tree stump.

I am looking for a hardwood tree stump that is about 6-8" in diameter that has some roots extending off the bottom. Strange request I know, but I have a plan for a 40B that I am going to be picking up sometime in the next week or so. Hopefully the stump is at least 16"-20" from base to top.

Eventually if I cannot find one around here, I will have to start going out and looking (I will not be cutting down peoples trees in the middle of the night though lol)
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
(I will not be cutting down peoples trees in the middle of the night though lol)
Funny you say that cos a few houses down from me had some great looking rock at the front of their house.....i said "had"
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 View Post
Funny you say that cos a few houses down from me had some great looking rock at the front of their house.....i said "had"
LOL that gave me the hardest laugh I have had all week.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:01 AM   #4
moosenart
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)

I have one, I dont know if it's what you're looking for though.

I ride motorcycles.
moosenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:10 AM   #5
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosenart View Post
I have one, I dont know if it's what you're looking for though.
Do you have a pic? I am about 6 months out from replacing my 36g with a 40B so I have time to find just the right one.

I am looking to partially replicate Sanj's giant rainbow tank in smaller form, and with only one stump lol

here is what he started with
Old 06-03-2012, 02:18 AM   #6
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Small stumps are one of my favorite things for the tank. Someway they just look right. Is this a first time using wood in a tank? I assume it is for the tank?

If you do go hunting, there are some things to know to look for to avoid the tannins problem. I find the best way to deal with tannins is to choose the wood very carefully. I'm not into waiting months for water to clear.

Some of my recent projects but these have gone to auction already. I tend to lay off the hunting when the temperature gets too warm. Lugging stumps around is not fun when it 90 degrees!
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:23 AM   #7
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Small stumps are one of my favorite things for the tank. Someway they just look right. Is this a first time using wood in a tank? I assume it is for the tank?

If you do go hunting, there are some things to know to look for to avoid the tannins problem. I find the best way to deal with tannins is to choose the wood very carefully. I'm not into waiting months for water to clear.

Some of my recent projects but these have gone to auction already. I tend to lay off the hunting when the temperature gets too warm. Lugging stumps around is not fun when it 90 degrees!
not new wood in the tank, but new to a full stump lol. I have nice twisty wood in my flora, and have had some nice root wood in my 36 in the past. I really like the idea of having a full tree stump along with roots in a tank.

Here is a video of Sanj's tank with it fully planted. There is just something about the way the plants and the stump interact that I really want to recreate. (along with the rainbows lol, although I will be increasing my holding of med. sized rainbows)
Old 06-03-2012, 04:27 AM   #8
jeremyTR
Suspended

PTrader: (4/100%)

I'm using a stump in my 40b

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

~~~
jeremyTR is offline   Reply With Quote