25cm nano cube Riparium
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 01-26-2015, 04:53 AM   #1
hitmanx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

25cm nano cube Riparium

I decided to try my hand at a riparium because it combine 2 hobbies of mine and sort makes sense to make shoreline scene...

I decided to start a Tank Journal over here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=1#post7374041

I was already in the process of making a nano 10" cube for shrimp and I wanted to see if I could make a believable riparium out of such a small tank... I started this tank as a dry start with moss and crypts back in early December...

To get over the fact that most riparium plants would overshadow the 10" of front to back tank space quite fast, I decided to use a hang on the back breeder box to house the planters and rafts... a finnex px360 canister filter takes water from the cube and sends it into the breeder box and then overflows back into the tank...

I mostly did this project over the Christmas holidays so my options for supplies were limited... I made my own riparium planters from acrylic sheeting custom made to fit the breeder box... I ended up using seachem matrix instead of hydroton, and used leftover aquasoil for the top layer... the rafts I made from 4 layers of craft foam sheets crazy glued together and drilled holes to fit the stems... they work very well but could be thicker. ..

Plants were also limited up here in frozen north, so I decided to try chamedora elegans from home depot, ophiopogon japonicus and acorus gramineus 'variegatus' from petsmart, pilea carderi and pilea glauca 'aquamarine' on the rafts and philodendron climbing up the emersed driftwood with the root dangling behind...

While the pilea and philodendron are starting to take off, I'm getting crown rot on some of the the chamedora shoots with some leaves drying up and the acorus seems dried out despite trying to keep the rhizomes above the water with very small roots and I only used matrix for this planter... the ophiopogon isn't doing much at all... I'm not sure if this is failure or just transitions... it's only been flooded since Jan 13th so I have to be patient and just fertilized for the first time today...

Somehow in the future I am going to obtain acorus gramineus 'ogon' and probably Cyprus dwarf sedge to to replace the the background, I just have to wait on the local nurseries to start bringing them in for the spring. ..

More pictures later...

Tank: Do! Aqua 25-c (4 gallon) + Mr aqua large 1.2gal HOB breeder box
Heater: Hydor 50watt
Filter: finnex px360 + Seachem Matrix
Lights: 23watt 6500k cfl in work lamp reflector
Substrate: ADA Aquasoil Amazonia

Fauna:
ramshorn snails
orange sakura shrimp
skud shrimp

Submerged Flora:
Crypt wendtii 'tropica'
Crypt wendtii 'Mi Oya'
Crypt undulata
Crypt willisii
Crypt Lucens
Fontanus fissidens
Singapore moss
Anubias nana 'petite'
Anubias Coffeeolia
Ceratopteris thalictroides (water sprite)
Frogbit

Riparium Flora:
Philodendron
Pilea cardierei (Aluminum plant)
Pilea glauca 'aquamarine'
Chamedora elegans (neanthe Bella palm)
Ophiopogon japonicus (mondo grass)
Acorus gramineus 'variegatus' (sweet flag)

Ferts:
Seachem Nitrogen
Seacehm Pottasium
Seacehm Phosphourus
Seachem Equilibrium
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150125_215838.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	420514  

Last edited by hitmanx; 02-07-2015 at 03:05 AM.. Reason: adding info
hitmanx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2015, 05:04 AM   #2
MissOddi
Algae Grower

It looks beautiful! I can't wait to see more. I just got a ton of plant cutting from a friend, so I may have to try something similar.
MissOddi is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2015, 05:53 AM   #3
Ssid
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

I love this setup. Looks super cool. Great idea n stunning execution. Good job! Could you care to provide more details please? Some pics of your riparium planters n rafts, pics of the breeder box setup, is the exposed driftwood coming from inside the tank or it sits on top of the tank? Following this...
Ssid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2015, 06:03 AM   #4
hitmanx
Algae Grower

Here's another teaser shot before bed

The emersed driftwood is attached to an equal sized chunk below the surface. ..

More details soon...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150125_215825.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	420570  

Old 01-26-2015, 08:00 PM   #5
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Very nice setup! I love the look of emersed driftwood in a riparium setting but I have such calcium rich water I end up with white lines where the water stops soaking up the wood >.<
How about showing an underwater growth shot? What shrimp are you planning for the tank?
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2015, 10:08 PM   #6
hitmanx
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Very nice setup! I love the look of emersed driftwood in a riparium setting but I have such calcium rich water I end up with white lines where the water stops soaking up the wood >.<
How about showing an underwater growth shot? What shrimp are you planning for the tank?
Yes, my water is like liquid rock too... gh 25 and kh 17... that's why I cut it 50% with RO. ..

I'm finding it hard to properly photograph the under water part so bear with me until I get some good shots with the dslr... I've tried with the light above and to the side...

I added 12 orange sakura shrimp and one perished so far
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150126_154536.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	420690  

Name:	20150126_154516.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	420730  

Last edited by hitmanx; 01-26-2015 at 11:51 PM.. Reason: adding picture
Old 01-27-2015, 03:33 AM   #7
pweifan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (58/100%)

This is a very nice setup. Subscribed
pweifan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2015, 07:54 AM   #8
Ssid
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

Very cool.. Love the hardscape inside n out.. Keep us posted.. Cheers..
Ssid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2015, 03:17 PM   #9
hitmanx
Algae Grower

This is a quick shot of the HOB breeder box that houses the acrylic planters:

And this is the HOB breeder box before I filled the tank... it's been modified to fit the glass and shortly after this shot I cut down the plastic to increase flow across the whole length instead of just through the the main overflow on the left:

And these are the planters I made from acrylic sheeting, cut on table saw and edges clean with a router table, then bonded with methylene chloride. .. holes drilled on all sides for water diffusion:

Old 01-27-2015, 04:02 PM   #10
hitmanx
Algae Grower

This is a shot before I filled the dry start and planted the riparium portion:

When the water was clear before I added alder cones, the first occupant was a juvenile cherry shrimp:

The acrylic planters sit on the bottom of the HOB with about 1/2" above the water:

Once I replace my faulty Hydor 50w heater I will house it in the remaining space in the HOB under the aluminum plant raft...

I just realized I should move this to the journal section
Old 01-27-2015, 04:45 PM   #11
pweifan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Awesome work! How much flow do you think you're getting after all your mods?
Old 01-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #12
hitmanx
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pweifan View Post
Awesome work! How much flow do you think you're getting after all your mods?
To be honest not as much as I would like... This same filter gives great flow in similar sized tanks but I'm hardly noticing any flow in the main tank... but it's a ranging whirlpool in the HOB
Old 01-27-2015, 05:07 PM   #13
hitmanx
Algae Grower

I wish nurseries were open up here in the frozen north... I need to get my hands on some of the proven riparium plants... my background choices are not fairing so well... the roots on the acorus gramineus 'variegatus' have rotted and there's isn't much rhizomes to use a rubber band to stabilize them... do the rhizomes NEED to be above the water completely? I figured the matrix would still allow oxygen but I guess not

I have a bunch of Spathiphyllum 'petite' but that is too broad for this nano... I'm thinking Cyprus dwarf sedge and some kind of grass... not sure I like the fan look of the acorus and the mondo grass, while not dieing, is showing no growth but maybe I need to be more patient
Old 01-27-2015, 06:49 PM   #14
pweifan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've got Acorus gramineus 'Ogon' growing in planters now. The substrate covers almost all the rhizome and it's 1/4- 1/2" out of the water. I haven't had any problems with rotting that I'm aware of. I actually tried to separate some of the rhizomes and broke of a piece with very little rhizome and no root at all. I still planted it and it hasn't died. It's been probably a month. I've been afraid to dig into the planter and see if it's rooted or not since it's still alive Good luck with the Acorus, I wouldn't throw it away, though. It is a fairly slow grower (at least in my setup).

When the weather warms up, I'll be able to spare some plants for you. Oh, I see you're in Canada, I'm sorry. Lowe's here has some other Pilea, Alternathera and Hemigraphis plants in the house plants section and they all work. Do you have Lowe's or a similar store up there?
Old 01-27-2015, 07:30 PM   #15
hitmanx
Algae Grower

There are some really good nurseries around here that have plenty of tropical plants but not much in the way of marginal or pond plants this time of year. .. I just picked up some syngonium, the common one and a smaller reddish one... as well as pilea glauca and pilea depressa and I am now adding those for the foreground... the mid ground is covered with pilea cardierei...

But I want the background to be "grassy", so I'm gonna have to wait for the pond plants to come in... maybe this chamedora elegans palm will pull through as its a very beautiful plant... maybe I have the crowns to far into the water. .. maybe I should raise the planters?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.