low light riparium plants?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 06-28-2015, 06:28 AM   #1
Kehy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

low light riparium plants?

I happen to not have room (or outlets) for an extra light above my tank, and I'm trying to keep the tank relatively low light itself (skittish lowlight blackwater fishies). I'm wanting to add a few riparium plants to make the scape a bit more authentic, but all the ones I can think of either get huge, need more light, or both. Something slow growing, stays small (at least for awhile), and can handle pretty low light conditions.

I'm figuring that emersed anubias would work, although I can't think of any others that might fit the bill.
Kehy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2015, 02:07 PM   #2
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Photo of set up? Is light right against the top of the tank or raised slightly? Any sunlight from a window (direct or indirect)?
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2015, 02:33 AM   #3
Kehy
Wannabe Guru

Very indirect light most times of the year (unless it's winter, in which case it gets an hour or two of direct light). Please ignore the mess. For scale, this is a 5 gallon tank

When the tank wasn't a blackwater tank, it seemed to be low-medium light, but with the water, it's now low/very low light. Not that I figure my anubias or moss are going to be complaining much. At least it'll keep the algae off the anubias.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:16 PM   #4
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Lucky bambo (Dracaena Sanderiana)
Purple waffle (Hemigraphis 'Exotica')
Wandering jew (Tradescantia zebrine + few other variations of Tradescantia)vine
Dragon's tongue (Hemigraphis repanda)
Pothos (several variations) technically gets long not tall(vine) but can be trimmed easily
Spider plant (Chlorophytum comosum) I've not owned this one yet.. it gets 'bushy', not too tall though. Seen it on a few ripariums

There are some Peace lily (Spathiphyllum) species that stay small but not all, I don't know proper name for those that stay at/under 12" sorry. Don't think most stores sell the small sp. You can contact hydrophyte on this forum, ask them if they have their small Spathiphyllum species. Do not get Spathiphyllum domino, unless 18" tall is ok (height of mine after a year) the other one they gave me was solid green and is staying small.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:15 AM   #5
Kehy
Wannabe Guru

It's also occurred to me that I could just put small pots behind the tank and raise them to the right level to make a faux-riparium look. That would give me more options, although the same couple of houseplants keep coming up. I will probably be bothering my grandmother's spider plant soon.

I've heard some ferns might work (in pots outside the tank) as well, but I really don't have much experience with those out of the water. I could probably do a couple as a living wall of sorts, which would probably be the best way to use the limited space behind the tank.

As far as true riparium plants go, I'm still thinking a couple upright anubias would be the best bet- I can't think of anything that would work better in low light emersed conditions. I actually do have some petites that are emersed on the driftwood, and they seem to be doing just fine.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:17 PM   #6
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kehy View Post
It's also occurred to me that I could just put small pots behind the tank and raise them to the right level to make a faux-riparium look. That would give me more options, although the same couple of houseplants keep coming up. I will probably be bothering my grandmother's spider plant soon.

I've heard some ferns might work (in pots outside the tank) as well, but I really don't have much experience with those out of the water. I could probably do a couple as a living wall of sorts, which would probably be the best way to use the limited space behind the tank.

As far as true riparium plants go, I'm still thinking a couple upright anubias would be the best bet- I can't think of anything that would work better in low light emersed conditions. I actually do have some petites that are emersed on the driftwood, and they seem to be doing just fine.
No experience with keeping terrestrial ferns, some like higher humidity than others (50% some even 80%) so research first.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:20 PM   #7
Mariostg
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I bought a terrestrial fern last week end. It's not setup yet though. Still thinkering about it.
Old Today, 03:34 PM   #8
Kalyke
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi, I am now gathering plants and so on for a 75 gallon plaudarium. It is to be at least half way full of water. One problem is that as it is a fish tank and not a case made specifically for terrarium/vivariums, I have the problem of not so much room for plants at the top. My plan is to eventually create a kind of "top" which would be something like a wardian case. This would raise my plant count.

As far as low light plants that love being in a humid environment, grow slowly, remain small, you can not go wrong with small mounted orchids.
These are what I have so far:
Grosourdya appendiculata,

Anoectochilus lowii, and Ludisia X Lightning.

Cadetia (Dendrobium) Taylorii

Bulbophylum catenulatum. Looks like it sprawls a bit. No flowers.

Dendrobium aberrans.

Haraella oderata

In addition I got several varieties of spike moss, and a few low light plants available at garden centers.
Kalyke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.