Terrarium With Emersed Aquatic Plants
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 09-05-2014, 07:41 PM   #1
alex009
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Terrarium With Emersed Aquatic Plants

After browsing many pictures of Wabi Kusas and other people's emmersed set ups of many aquatic plants I have decided to start my own emersed project. My goal was to create a nice natural looking scape - A little corner of a jungle in my room.

More Details:

Substrate: Regular potting soil spread out on top of an inch thick layer of gravel. Soil depth varies from several inches towards the back to much shallower in the front.

Lighting: Tank sits under a window where it receives direct sunlight for an hour or two and then indirect light for the rest of the day. Will this be enough or should I supplement with artificial lighting?

Hardscape: Stones and wood gathered locally. Tried to use aquascaping techniques.

Humidity: Tank is covered with plastic to keep in humidity in. Not sure what the exact humidity is but it's pretty wet and none of the plants have dried out. There is much condensation on the glass. I would like to eventually replace the plastic wrap with a custom cut piece of plexiglass for a more aesthetically pleasing look.

Flora:

Hygrophilia Corymbosa Stricta

Anubias Sp.

Taxiphyllum barbieri (Java Moss)

Not shown are tiny cuttings of Ludwigia Repens and Ceratopteris thalictroides (Water Sprite).

The Ludwigia, Water Sprite, and Java moss were all clippings from my riparium. I wasnt sure if the moss would be okay in this type of set up so I only used half of my java moss clippings so as to not risk losing it all. If it seems to be doing well I will add the rest in at some point in the future. I hope it will carpet.
The Anubias and Hygro were bought at the pet store growing in those plastic tubes. Since these plants were already in their emersed form I figured they shouldn't struggle too much to adapt to the terrarium.
Some other plants I am eager to try out are some cryptocoryne species as well as hygrophila pinnatifida after seeing this Wabi Kusa on another forum (it is the plant with the serrated fern-like leaves:

However, I will wait to see how the current plants do before moving on to (and spending money) on other plant species.

Last edited by alex009; 09-05-2014 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: na
alex009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Nice start! Early morning sunlight works well if that is what you mean. Having a light above the tanks helps keep the plants growing upward instead of leaning toward the light. I keep a terrarium in a north east facing window and find it helps to turn it around periodically.
Java moss does well as long as it doesn’t get too dry. I find the ends of the moss turn white if it gets to dry. Hydrocotyle tripartite looks great in these set ups.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:09 PM   #3
Kehy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

I'm actually planning on setting one of these up soon in a bowl, these are some great ideas!
Kehy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquatic, emersed, plants, terrarium