My first planted tank (10G) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-17-2012, 02:10 AM   #16
srivihk
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks theericafish

Will try doing a 3 day blackout from Monday. Also trying to get a black background (may be get a black vinyl sheet) Doing a large WC today. As much i see the green water, I do not see Green Algae on the tank glass (think that is gone as of now). Well one another thing i did was stopped feeding the fish the last 3 days or so (since the last WC). May be they are also consuming the algae as I notice the platys nibbling on the glass.

On the plants:

Vallisneria Spiralis is now Vallisneria Straigtalis (do not see the skewers!!!). The original leaves are melting as new runners emerge and new leaves grow. Nice

I notice some runners from Dwarf Sagittaria (Finally i think i got the ID right), the plant that is pictured on one of my photos above.

Did a trim of the background plants and planted the trims back.

A shot of the tank to show the green water

I wonder what my oto is doing like this. Seem to be practising some yoga.....

As i observe my tank, i see fish poop in the substrate around the plant (blame it on the platy poop). They are not really getting removed by the filter. Should i use gravel vacuum to remove or just let them decompose into the substrate (Amazonia AS).

Thanks for everyone looking (but not writing anything ).
srivihk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 01:08 AM   #17
srivihk
Algae Grower

After a 75% WC yesterday, the Green water is almost gone. I have very less green algae on the tank walls now, at around 5% the previous levels.

A few things that happened which might have contributed to this.

1. Lower feeding - None over the last 5 days. So deciding to feed the fish once every week now, just a day before the water change. The fishes seem to be happy to eat the algae everywhere and now I can finally see my rocks (although there is some more algae left there, which I guess would be gone in a few days).

2. Cleaned the filter media in the tank water. Oh man!, what a mess it was. It cleaned up the tank as well as improved the flow significantly

3. Stopped dosing Flourish. Think considering the substrate is Amazonia AS, dosing might not be required during the early life of the tank. Might have to resort to dosing a few months later as the substrate runs out of nutrients.

4. My black molly developed pop eye. Removed her to a QT last Friday to medicate. After removal, did a 75% WC on Friday as well as added a small dose of anti bacterial medication to the main tank.

Think 1 & 2 definitely helped in fighting Algae. But the war is not over yet. Will not rest till i get them sign the declaration of surrender.

Need to make a decision on my messy platys.... might have to take them back to the LFS and give it back (not sure if I would get any cash back or credit though) and get a 3 more tetras (have 3 now) and may be a couple of mollies.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #18
srivihk
Algae Grower

Used a sheet of foam to create a black background. Intention is to (a) bring out some colors better and (b) reduce the intensity of the sunlight.

Not sure if I'm creating an imbalance, but with my CO2 at around 30 bpm, would tend to think that the balance is not disturbed.

No algae yet. Feels good. Finally i can see the veins of the rock.

Looking at the sword, i guess its going to takeover the tank soon. My plan is to remove the sword as the plant mass increases over the next few weeks or move it over to the empty area on the gravel. The new leaves are almost 9-10 inches.

My black molly (the one with the pop eye) seems to be pregnant. The ulcer above eye is getting worse and I added some salt to the QT. Fingers crossed.

Some pics

Old 06-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #19
Shimagoma
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Shimagoma Send a message via Skype™ to Shimagoma

beautiful fish! I got danios as a started and now with my 29 gal i think i might use them again! they have so much personality! and hardy to boot! The algae growth is def. from too much light. as awesome as the sunlight is coming through the glass, it can cause a ton of issues as far as algae growth. now if you like it, then you can try and tame it, i have a friend who grows beard algae just on the back wall (through voodoo and witchcraft) and it looks really spooky! I love your red plants! A little jealous of the nice reds. and its a good start too! Im still learning so it nice to not be alone hah!

your fish have great color by the way, very vibrant

I kinda like the clutter of the plants, specially if they are getting enough light as is, i think it makes the piece feel like it has weight and helps give the other plants height

and the platies are a bit of a mess ha, it might be good to get something just to stir up the bottom a bit? i love my trumpet snails, they make sure everything is set and in order with my sand/poo lol
Shimagoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #20
srivihk
Algae Grower

Shimagoma : Thanks for your comments

Danios - I love them. Had them as a kid 20+ years ago, back in India and lost them (that was the end of fish keeping for me then). When i started again in 2010, i bought these danios as juvenile fish and they have grown quite well (and even survived a 16 day period when i was away). They are really hardy and have survived a move to my new home in a messy unplanted tank a couple of months ago. The move gave me an opportunity to do a planted tank.

Platys : Should have done more research on them. Do not think i want to keep them in a planted tank. May be need to move them to another tank (gives me a reason to buy a new tank).

Hopefully with controlled sunlight now and with the plant mass increasing I should be able to battle algae.

Ludwigia Glandulosa is little interesting. The older leaves have a layer of algae on them, which my otos refuse to clean and hence have lost their original color, whereas the newer leaves are quite bright. Actually I had to buy them as my 2.5 y/o girl wanted pink plants!! in the tank and now they are really adding to the color of the tank.

I'm actually thinking of replacing the sword with some crypts as swords are too big for this tank.

Also thinking about MTS, but research revealed that they multiply by the minute and hence was not sure of adding. May be add a few and see what happens. I can always remove them, if it becomes an issue.

Well - my idea is to see how difficult it would be maintain a planted tank and if i'm successful in my experiment, move to a planted 38G in a few months time and use the 10G as an unplanted tank (with a thin layer of gravel substrate) with just the platys. Have a custom made stand that can handle both the tanks. Moving platys away would let me add a few more tetras.

BTW, just curious if I'm getting the ID of the plants right.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #21
srivihk
Algae Grower

Think time for a rescape.

I find the fishes are not interested in the unplanted area. So the gravel goes.

Thinking of adding a twiggy drift wood towards to the left corner of the tank.

As far as the plants go, the sword would move from its central (well almost) position to somewhere near the drift wood. Going to create a wall around the ludwigia glandosa with the green bocapa, to bring out the red color. The tall red stem plant (Bocapa Red?) goes to the far background.

Scheme is below

In terms of fishes, its going to be 4 Zebra danios, 6 neon tetras, 4 oto (and some amano shrimps/ MTS - not decided on this though).

Tank - 10G
CO2 - DIY (may add a power head near the drift wood and hook up CO2 to that)
Lighting - Natural light
Filter - 170 gph (Hang on)
Substrate - either 100% Amazonia AS or mixed with 35% of Aquarium Gravel (If latter, just remove the plants, the fishes and vacuum the existing gravel well and mix all the current substrate)

I need your advice and comments...
Old 06-22-2012, 06:57 AM   #22
srivihk
Algae Grower

Any advice for me to improve this design.

Going to the gold fish market to look for drift wood and get some Amazonia AS.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #23
srivihk
Algae Grower

Couple of things to update:

1. Black molly status

Jun 13 : Noticed Pop eye
Jun 14 : Noticed the ulcer (top of eye)
Jun 15 : Moved it to QT with medications for bacterial infection
Jun 19 : Added common salt to the QT (1 tsp/ gallon)
June 22 : Ulcer seem to have reduced by 90% as well as the popeye is down 50% (at one point it was looking as though the eye would burst, with ulcer showing bleeding signs)

I did 95% water change twice during the period. One on Jun 19 (before adding salt) and one on Jun 22 (added medications, stresscoat and common salt after WC)

Still in the QT to clear the ulcer. Currently poop is a white string and will probably wait till the poop is normal.

First time I tried medicating the fish and very happy that its so far so good.

2. CO2 : The fizz is almost gone, from around 30 bpm at peak to around 2-3 bpm now. Started on Jun 9. Lasted 13 days. Should i try adding 1/2 tsp of yeast or should i restart the entire setup again. I do not see the jello jelly. Its all syrupy inside the 1 liter bottle.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #24
theericafish
Planted Member

Did the black background solve your green water issue?

Good to hear your molly is doing alright, sick fishies is no fun.

I personally think amazonia looks better without gravel mixed in but either way is fine really. I'm planning on using miracle grow organic soil and topping it with amazonia for my next project... Whenever that happens haha.

GL with the diy co2 I have no knowledge there T_T

New tank layout looks good but maybe consider the driftwood coming out of the back right corner rather than the front for a little more depth.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:38 AM   #25
srivihk
Algae Grower

The algae issue is under control (no GSA or GDA on the glass) and the rate of change of water color to green is slowed down considerably. I did a few things and do not know what really helped.

1. Cleaned the filter to improve the flow and circulation
2. Stopped feeding the fish for a week (and they started munching the algae)
3. Added black background

Now need to remove the platys as they are quite messy and may be would improve the water quality.

But seems that post the trim on Jun 19, WC and adding the black background, the rate of plant growth has dropped. But at the same time the CO2 also slowed down. This is fine with me though as I would go towards a more sustainable tank over the period, which is what I am looking at. A slow growing healthy planted tank, with less maintenance (platys have to go) and pruning with medium lighting and happy fish. Sounds like utopia though.

On the new scape, thanks for your comments. Moving the drift wood to the back corner makes a lot of sense. I have junked the idea of adding the gravel to AS, after I tried a sample mix on a glass container and it was not looking terrible. I'm trying to get the chemical composition of the potting mixture that is locally available so that I can try using that as bottom substrate and top it with AS. Although I would do a small

3-4 days ago I was considering euthanizing molly, but as a last effort used the salt and its worked wonders so far.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:54 AM   #26
theericafish
Planted Member

Sounds like a combination of everything that cleared the water up. I think as long as the soil does not have added fertilizer then you should be alright. If it has small white balls then its definitely not good.

Low maintenance is the way to go :P Right now I'm just doing weekly water changes and keeping the plants in check.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:44 AM   #27
srivihk
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by theericafish View Post
I think as long as the soil does not have added fertilizer then you should be alright. If it has small white balls then its definitely not good.
Oops... The one that I'm looking at has small white balls.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:51 AM   #28
jeremyTR
Suspended

PTrader: (4/100%)

You should get a few Amano shrimp. They'll clean all your algae. The more amano, the better. My 10G was covered in algae, put 30ish amano in it and now every single piece of my clown puke colored gravel rocks is sparkling along with lava rocks and everything else.

I'd get 10! they're awesome otherwise too.

~~~
jeremyTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:39 AM   #29
srivihk
Algae Grower

Just curious to know - how to estimate bioload of shrimps. I'm sort of working on this rule of a fish a gallon. Would adding 10 amano shrips add significantly to the bio load?
Old 06-23-2012, 06:49 AM   #30
theericafish
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivihk View Post
Just curious to know - how to estimate bioload of shrimps. I'm sort of working on this rule of a fish a gallon. Would adding 10 amano shrips add significantly to the bio load?
My friend at the local fish store says he uses 3 amano=1 fish as a rule of thumb.(of course some fish are messier than others so use this loosely).

They're pretty low bio load, mostly they just eat bad stuff and poop it out into an easier form for the plants to break down. The females get pretty large though so keep that in mind. Ours look monstrous sometimes.