pandamonium's 40BR amazon setup (update 8/6/12) New fish - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-15-2012, 02:32 AM   #16
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

another update with the DIY inline heater installed completely!
pandamonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012, 12:13 AM   #17
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

update with pics of catfish and ram
Old 06-16-2012, 03:39 AM   #18
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (116/100%)

Love those pics of the honeycombs!
Old 06-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #19
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Dude I think you're gonna need more cover to save those pencil fish from those angry females....they got a temperament similar to a certain person's mother if you get my reference...
Bananariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #20
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

yeah i am not getting the pencilfish until everything else is in the tank. my next shipment is lemon tetras which i hope will be good dither fish to encourage the rams to come out more as well as give my tank some life. by the time the pencilfish come in, im hoping the plants will come in as well. and also hopefully by then the males will mature so pairing will occur and actual breeding can happen. today i found a dead ram. i doubt its ich because he was clean. probably violence from the others...a trait not far removed from someone's mother...
Old 06-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #21
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

hahaha yeah.......dude the Hyphessobrycon genus is awesome. They contain piranhas so all the tetras look like mini piranhas. Some have the same temperment as well >.>

Also some eat plants.....my Buenos aires tetras are huge...they're meanies too....tore one of Sammy's gouramis to shreds lol....the gourami went to pick a fight like it did in sammy's tank.....but uhh yeah my fish wouldn;t have any of it.....They also eat my dead shrimps whole......

Surprisingly they leave my mini danios and rasboras alone lol....
Old 06-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #22
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

its too small to eat hahaha. talking about those rasboras, i bought 4 espei rasboras for really low price at a local wholesalers. you should look into them. they look like harlequins but more colorful. my dad wants more color in the community tank outside. i figured for the next set of lemons (and a replacement honeycomb for the dead one) i have to find a certain fish food i forget the name. apparently lemon tetras get brighter when fed certain foods. the water quality here should help with the yellow hue but i want it to really stand out. ill post pics of them when i get them in the bag and in the tank.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #23
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

I imagine foods high in protein and carotin or whatever you call it will get colors out of fish nicely.......you should see the colors of my Denisoni barbs after they got a buffet from eating all the dead cherry shirmp I lost from the bact. infection. Their stripes are like neon pink along with their fins....

Yeah I uhhh......am not going fish anymore lol. Completely in the land of invertebrates.....too far in to turn back now. Though I still do like my 110.....Corydoras army and alll.....and that one momma ghostie......dude she's likke 2.5" now and she's not even a macro species with long claw arms.......she somehow lives with all the predators around......
Old 06-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #24
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

momma shrimp...it was my pure respect for her that led me to saving her from being flushed when we left. pure respect. the others were not so lucky. the frogs had a feast with them. there is a food product that they have it might be color max or something. i figure i will just do bloodworms/brine shrimp once or twice a week. should give them enough protein to show some color.
and i am the opposite of you. no invertebrates ever. treated my tank with coppersafe which though mild is still chelated copper. which means it will insta-kill any shrimp i think. though i found 1 snail. i quickly fed him to the turtle.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #25
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

update on tank rescape! comments welcome!
Old 06-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #26
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

Lookin good man! Shoulda gone black sand, would have looked epic ;D

After the problems go away, those red coral pencilfish would look nice and color up the tank as well as those lemon tetras!
Old 06-28-2012, 04:38 AM   #27
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

yeah i looked up the new sand, like tahitian moon sand. its like 20 dollars a pound. my fish store sells a 30 pound bag for 50 bucks though haha. but its basically blasting sand so i was concerned about its quality and how sharp it was. i went with the playsand because it simulates the amazon substrate the best and it was also 5 bucks for 50 pounds haha im so cheap. though no, lie, black sand could have been sweet looking. only issue was what it was too expensive :P i have been looking lately into partitioning my tank into sand and like aquasoil or whatever other plant substrates there are. i saw a really nice aquascape where a guy did that and it turned out really nice. but do i really want to replant....hmm hahaha
and yeah the lemons are in already now i gotta feed them to make the colors pop. i really want that yellow to glow strongly. once the pencilfish are in i should be good to go. im thinking about going to cardinals since they can tolerate the slightly higher temp in my tank. i want a nice schooling fish so im gonna look around for that.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:33 AM   #28
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

Dude.....your neons got FAT. They're still punk (butt) wussies and hang at the bottom but they got big. My power feeding to pump up some corydora fry benefitted them a lot.

Oh dude look into this plant: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ails.php?id=53

It looks nice, but I'm outta space or I would have that in my tank. It's a kind of pennywort, similar to what you have. I saw it in youjettisonme's tank, looks sweet.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:43 AM   #29
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

hahahaha nice! im amazed they survived that long. i dont know the water quality up at school but i guess they acclimated well. if they are hanging out at the bottom, its probably because they are still scared or the tank doesnt look enough like the amazon or the fish farm. i guess ill call the neon experiment a success then
yeah dude that plant is related to the pennywort. same genus i think. i dont have it but i have seen it here. it looks nice but if it grows anywhere as fast as the H. leucocephala, then it will be tough to keep under control haha
Old 07-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #30
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

UPDATE:
New fish!

Finally got around to getting some pencilfish. Had originally wanted N. mortenthaleri but saw N. rubrocaudatus and liked those as well. Also, could not find the morts in the city for a decent price. The rubrocaudatus look AMAZING. The pictures don't do them justice.

Also grabbed some F1 rams from a local breeder. Parents were wild from Brazil and he sold me these ones to pair with the ones I already have.

PICTURES!

So I went to a LFS and was going to get some fish when I struck up conversation with the owner. He gave me a whole talk about water quality which was very detailed, complete with demonstrations using his own merchandise that I did not have to purchase. Showed me safely how to keep my water quality good to keep my fish happy. Started by lowering my pH very slowly. I'm on day 8 of 12-16 days of treatment. No algae blooms yet so I'm happy (phosphate based buffer).
I redid my substrate from playsand to medium grain sand (1-1.5mm) to keep an anaerobic and an aerobic layer. my plants have responded well so far to this treatment
I also got a powerhead (Hydor Koralia Pico) to circulate water in my dead spot but also to use as a CO2 diffuser. One of the most efficient ways to diffuse especially in a low tech tank. One person I read about here used a ceramic diffuser which flowed into a powerhead for "double diffusion" he called it. Tested this and the diffusion is great too.

OK so pictures!

The whole tank shot. I moved the stauro from a line to discrete patches. I like this look better to be honest.

Stauro and blyxa

New Plants! Alternanthera rosefolia from AFA and Stargrass (Heteranthera zosterifolia) from Han

Sunset Hygro growing quite well. Had to replant due to rams plucking the stems til they died. Plant is ok now.

New fish added!

Corydoras venezuelanas (Venezuela's Cory). Got these from SFBAAPS

Cories in the tank by the inflow

UPDATE:

New pictures of plants, fish, and tank update.

S. hygro

E. parviflorus

S. repens

M. mattengrossense

Blyxa

A. rosefolia and H. zosterifolia

H. leucocephala

E. tenellus

GBR

Total tank

Last edited by pandamonium; 08-06-2012 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: update