Heater question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-14-2013, 12:07 AM   #1
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Heater question

Just recently my 200 watt heater broke... well it not broken but the thermostat is very unaccurate, I dont know the brand of it at the moment its set for 87, (95 max) and it turns off at around 76 degrees. I thought it was my thermometer, so I purchased another one and still reads the same.

I had this old heater an ebo jager 125 sitting around and its much more accurate keeps the tank at 78/79 but it's on a lot it seems. The tank is a 37 gallon. The room temp is prolly around 65-68.

My question is should I get a bigger heater say a 200 watt Eheim Jager? Will the 200 watt be more energy efficient because it wont have to stay on as long? Or since the 125 is doing the job and is a lower watt it would end up using less energy anyway?
Thanks, Clay

Last edited by latchdan; 02-14-2013 at 02:55 AM.. Reason: spelling
latchdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
jschwabe5
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Default Heater question

The general rule for heater size is 5 watts per gallon, but lots of things to consider before you get a new one. Most heaters are designed to raise tank temperature only a few degrees above room temp. Keeping tank in a cooler area, you would want to bump up in heater wattage above the general rule to compensate. I have several Jäger heaters, and a few marineland visitherms and have not had any problems with them. Depending on your tank setup, if your using a canister filter consider using an inline heater, they are supposed to be more efficient and less clutter in the tank. Get the best you can afford, it's worth the investment.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #3
TwoTacoCombo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

A higher wattage will cause the heater to turn off more quickly after it has turned on, nothing more. Higher or lower wattage really has nothing to do with efficiency, just how quickly it can heat the water. Electrical inefficiencies are usually due to energy lost as heat due to resistance. A heaters sole purpose is to dump energy as heat, so there isn't much loss at all.

If you have an underpowered heater, it'll be on more of the time, and may not ever heat to temperature. If you have low circulation with an overpowered heater, you may have cool spots in the tank as the heater will heat it's immediate surroundings to temp and turn off, without actually heating the whole tank. If a 125 is doing the job, I'd stick with that. It wouldn't hurt to go with 200, but you aren't gaining anything by running more current through it for a shorter amount of time.
TwoTacoCombo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 01:32 AM   #4
ronnie6989
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think one of the best I use is the fluval e series. It has two computer chips on it and digital read out. Also low flow sensor and shut off it you leave it on and take it out of the water. Another thing the background has three colors on it.
Green = the right temp
Blue = water is below temp
Red = water is too hot
Flashing Red = Problem with heater

These heater stay very steady. I own 3 of them.

Ronnie
Attached Images

ronnie6989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 02:52 AM   #5
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwabe5 View Post
The general rule for heater size is 5 watts per gallon, but lots of things to consider before you get a new one. Most heaters are designed to raise tank temperature only a few degrees above room temp. Keeping tank in a cooler area, you would want to bump up in heater wattage above the general rule to compensate. I have several Jäger heaters, and a few marineland visitherms and have not had any problems with them. Depending on your tank setup, if your using a canister filter consider using an inline heater, they are supposed to be more efficient and less clutter in the tank. Get the best you can afford, it's worth the investment.
I was thinking about getting an inline heater but, I already have a reactor attached to it and I feel I shouldnt' attach anything else for flow rate problems. I just have a xp1 running, in hinsight I should of got the rena filstar xp2.

Quote:
I think one of the best I use is the fluval e series. It has two computer chips on it and digital read out. Also low flow sensor and shut off it you leave it on and take it out of the water. Another thing the background has three colors on it.
Green = the right temp
Blue = water is below temp
Red = water is too hot
Flashing Red = Problem with heater

These heater stay very steady. I own 3 of them.
I'll have to look into this heater.
latchdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 03:41 AM   #6
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

Add another heater. 100w. Better to have 2 smaller heaters than one large. There's been other threads on this.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.