150 Gallon - My First Serious Try - New Photos (8 July)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
fizzout
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)

150 Gallon - My First Serious Try - New Photos (8 July)

I was really inspired when I first saw a beautifully planted tank. I didn't know that something like that was possible. I attempted a 75 gallon planted tank, but because of the narrow dimension, it was frustrating to place plants. However, I learned some valuable lessons from all the mistakes I made. I expect to make many more mistakes, but I think this will be a rewarding project for me.

I don't know why I feel the need to share this experience, but I think somehow this journal will add to my enjoyment of doing this project. Hopefully, it will also contribute to the collective knowledge on planted tanks (at least the lessons learned).

[Edit] High resolution photos hosted on imgur.com.

Last edited by fizzout; 07-09-2012 at 04:50 AM.. Reason: Added link to photos
fizzout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
fizzout
Algae Grower

Default The Tank

I bought a 150 gallon tank back in November 2011. I intended to set it up during Christmas time, but due to a death in the family, I didn't start the set up until March 2012. In the mean time, I built a wooden stand for the tank, which is functional, but not pretty - I envy those people who have the skill and patience to build such beautiful stands for their tanks.

The tank dimension is 6x2x2 (approximately).

This is my tank (with my DIY LED)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1361a (640).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	48370
Old 05-30-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
fizzout
Algae Grower

Default Diy led

It's amazing how many mini-projects must be completed to accomplish the final vision. My first task was to obtain suitable lighting for the tank. I was impressed with LED lighting for their shimmer and efficiency. I decided to make my own lights since it was less expensive and I would be entertained by building it. I detailed the DIY LED build here.

Here is a photo of the finished LED build.
Name:  IMG_1480 (400x344).jpg
Views: 1317
Size:  102.6 KB

Last edited by fizzout; 06-03-2012 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: Replace photo with smaller size
Old 05-30-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looks like it's going to be a superb-looking tank - keep the pics coming as you progress.
What are your thoughts on stocking it ?
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
fizzout
Algae Grower

I hope this build will be satisfactory. My experience so far with planted tanks is marginal, but I have my hopes. I already have some plants ready to go, but most are all in little tubs waiting for their new home. I have mosses (xmas, peacock, taiwan, fissidens), ferns (java, bolbitis), anubias, crypts, and some bulb plants. I tend to have collectoritis (??), so the challenge is to keep the tank looking less junky. We'll see how it goes. As for fish, I'm not committed with anything other than algae cleaning crew.

Last edited by fizzout; 05-30-2012 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 05-31-2012, 12:11 AM   #6
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Tank that size needs pretty fish! Big school of angels or discus would look awesome

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:32 AM   #7
fizzout
Algae Grower

I love angel fish and tetras, so they are definite possibilities. However, I want to keep the tank at a lower temp (78 degrees), so I think discuses are out. Not sure if cardinal tetras will be ok at that temp. I have sent many fish to the next world, so I will take my time on populating this tank to make certain that I have the right conditions. This is a lesson from my other tank. (poor fish)
Old 05-31-2012, 01:07 AM   #8
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Just curious - why do you feel the need to keep the tank at lower temps than discus thrive in?
That would be an absolute superb tank for keeping a dozen or more adult discus, along with several schools of the tankmates that you like - such as Cardinals and a ground crew of Cories.
Many species of fish and plants can, and will, do well at temps of 82 or higher - won't you just think about it - I for one would be very pleased to help out.
It would make for an awesome showpiece !
Just to give you a little food for thought - here's my 75 gal low-tech planted discus tank - half the size of what you have - yours could easily put mine to shame:
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...spaul/Sept2011
Old 05-31-2012, 01:54 AM   #9
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

It looks as if your off to a good start, BTW I just lowered my temp to 75 and I like the result, some plants are much happier.

If Angel fish are your thing you should check out www.angelsplus.com they have a great selection of fish and breeding supplies, their site is a little different so take a good look.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:55 AM   #10
fizzout
Algae Grower

Wow, those discus fish are amazing. If I didn't know better, I would have thought those were saltwater fish. Thanks for sharing those pictures.

I have kept (past tense!) discus fish, but my experience level is not there yet. I do think they are so beautiful, but with my inexperience I am hesitant to try again until I have some more confidence. Believe me, I really do want to try again.

As for 78 degrees, I was under the impression that plants grow better at lower temperatures, especially mosses, which I find very attractive (I think my electric bill will become more attractive as well). Ultimately, nothing is cast in stone, so I may change my mind (as I have so often done). I really appreciate your feedback.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:00 AM   #11
fizzout
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
It looks as if your off to a good start, BTW I just lowered my temp to 75 and I like the result, some plants are much happier.

If Angel fish are your thing you should check out www.angelsplus.com they have a great selection of fish and breeding supplies, their site is a little different so take a good look.
Wow, thanks for the link for angelfish. I didn't know about them, but I'm very interested. A school of angles would look pretty awesome.

hmmmm ... angelfish? discus?
Old 05-31-2012, 02:08 AM   #12
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

I like the Halfbacks, you rarely see them in a tank.

Mosses do respond well to cooler temps and it makes it a little harder to grow algae, but not much!

150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:16 AM   #13
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

In a 150 gal tank - why not both, Angels and Discus ? - would make an amazing display !
Can be successfully done without problems.
And if you're concerned about your experience level, don't fret - discus, especially larger-sized, more mature ones, are hardy and quite easy to keep.
Think about it !
I'd be glad to walk you through it, if you're so inclined.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:18 AM   #14
fizzout
Algae Grower

Those halfback angelfish stood out to me right away. I think the wild-cross angels look nice as well. So many choices ...

Unfortunately, I grow algae really well, so anything to reduce them would be much appreciated (even if only a little). This is information that I have not come across yet, so thank you for the tip.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:23 AM   #15
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
In a 150 gal tank - why not both, Angels and Discus ? - would make an amazing display !
Can be successfully done without problems.
And if you're concerned about your experience level, don't fret - discus, especially larger-sized, more mature ones, are hardy and quite easy to keep.
Think about it !
I'd be glad to walk you through it, if you're so inclined.
haha this guy look out for him

Heck yea angels and discus would look great, buying adult discus would definitely take out the learning curve they just cost a little more. there is also someone on the board whose name escapes me that has been keeping his tank at 79 with discus

Personally my 125 has discus, cardinals, corys, Dario loach and serpae tetras all of which seem to have no issue with 82 degrees :-)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote