75gal MINI BAR TANK build-step by step on my refurbish and restore
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-30-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
wetbizquit
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Arrow

75gal MINI BAR TANK build-step by step on my refurbish and restore

yeah thats right..... the tank is (or was depending) a mini bar!!

was awesome, i inherited the tank from a friend who rather focus on his larger tanks and left this one alone to rot and die.... which sucks because he had no lid on the tank itself, and moisture soaked into the oak wood and now i have water damage.... so im going to take it over try to salvage what i can and remodel this beast because serving drinks on this tank was awesome

here is the before picture, there was oscars in here pictured it has been sitting unheated, unfiltered and molding away

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

in the process of emptying taking apart the tank

disembled which wasnt too hard but there is a lot of water damage, most screws were so rusty they fell apart, and i had to strip our the hinges and electrical work out of the wood

but you can tell the overall stand isnt too bad except for a few cracks on the edges which dont support the tank

here is the damage to the lid.... you would think from the outside it looks fine, nice leather work (hence it was a mini bar)

but on the inside......

wetbizquit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 02:26 AM   #2
wetbizquit
Planted Tank Obsessed

and here is the damage to the top of the stand where the lid use to rest
not sure if i should cut my losses and chop these all off, or just sand them out, and reglue as best as i can, usually once water gets in wood it will always sweat it out and cause issues that can turn badly but im not sure if this is THAT bad

like i was saying before, it looks pretty nasty, and is no where near my standards but it was just hosting the top of the bar, no real weight was on these legs, the tank goes inside below these, the bottom of the tank stand is fine, i plan on sanding and repairing everything but i wanted others opinions on what to do.....

here is the rest of the crap i pulled off of this guy
its quite sad if it had been kept nicely it was all wired for heaters and lighting structure through the side beams completely hiding all cords

look how nasty the rusted screws were.... eew

and here is the tank, making sure it still holds water, there is a small dent in the side but doesnt seem to leak, im soaking the lava rocks for a few days, leach out any nastyness leftover same with the sand

so what do you all think?? should i just scrap this project, start completely over? or what should i do to try and restore whats left??
Old 05-30-2012, 02:52 AM   #3
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)

I'd restore it and give it a go, a good sanding and use a bit of gorilla glue to rebond teh seperated pieces and it will probably never split again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
Craigthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:10 AM   #4
BigCountry
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'd say try to restore it... . That is one of the coolest things I've seen in a while. What a great conversation piece.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:20 AM   #5
wetbizquit
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks for your input guys, and craig..... dude holy crap your build is awesome i read every page of that the other day, nice work, i am very impressed

as for the lid im afraid i think its too rotted, its pretty gnarly but i can give it a shot, i thought about just dumping the lid or just rebuilding one, perhaps maybe just use the stand part without the mini bar lid..... it just seems like there is too much damage but im not too sure... ugh
Old 05-30-2012, 03:30 AM   #6
D3monic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

perma seal makes a spray on rubberized sealant in a spray can. We just used a bunch on some water fountains in the backyard.

If the outside of the wood doesn't look bad you can try spraying the inside of the canopy to seal and waterproof it. Not to mention hide the ugliness

Trying to remember the exact name, comes in clear, black and white.
Canon Pimp Club #019

"I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip"

Ebi-topia 75g Rivers Edge Dario H. Breeding Log
D3monic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:32 AM   #7
wetbizquit
Planted Tank Obsessed

ooh that would be awesome if you could get me that name.... im just curious has anyone had any experience with restoring water damage? becuase i have only heard bad things about it, once water seeps into the wood it starts rotting and no stopping it, im just scared eventually it will fall apart, luckily its mainly just the top, the bottom seems solid, plus its oak
Old 05-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
BigCountry
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Home Depot has some plasticdip spray, or you could go with some spray on bedliner from an autoparts store:

https://www.google.com/search?q=spra...&ved=0CPMBEK0E
Old 05-31-2012, 10:52 PM   #9
wetbizquit
Planted Tank Obsessed

i'll definately look into that one it comes to painting, should i apply it before or after a finish??

here is a small update, took off all the railings and lid braces for the top

By cakenutz at 2012-05-31

will save the peices

here are all the rotted peices i had to remove from the top

whats left of the lid, wood is soft, will sand the whole thing down and replace with extra layer

sneak peak at my 10 gal i de rimmed, chipped a little off the corner but not bad i'd say for my first derim on a old tank.... will have a journal on this guy soon gona be good

Old 06-02-2012, 04:22 AM   #10
wetbizquit
Planted Tank Obsessed

day 2 of sanding, geez this crap is tough to go through, huge layer of varnish on oak.... not the easiest to sand off, gone through quite a lot of sand paper, planned on having it finished today but im about 80% still have the bottom, and the peices that were removed to sand

but i did ad curved edges to make a more soft feet

By cakenutz at 2012-06-01

By cakenutz at 2012-06-01
Old 06-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #11
BS87
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Do you have a Home Depot near you? You could always rent a power sander of some sort. It would make short work of your sanding needs.
BS87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Great job so far on cleaning it up.
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2in10 View Post
Great job so far on cleaning it up.

I agree and keep up the great work
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:58 AM   #14
wetbizquit
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS87 View Post
Do you have a Home Depot near you? You could always rent a power sander of some sort. It would make short work of your sanding needs.
oh now you tell me... just kiddin' i have no funds, so im doing this build on a serious budget, i mean like way cheap........ like diy everything, gonna be a slow build once the build is done and ready for substrate..... i actually was thinking about doing a frontosa tank.... the color i will be finishing it with is a gunmetal dark metallic it looks really cool

finished last sanding coats after three strait days of agony, and like 30 sandpaper sheets toasted, also sealed up most the noticeable cracks, going to paint it tomorrow

By cakenutz at 2012-06-03
Old 06-04-2012, 05:49 AM   #15
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Great job on the sanding, because the stand looks great! Wood looks good and solid on the base! I don't think I would try to salvage most of the top pieces, as the rotting looks pretty bad to me! I would hate for you to do all of this hard work then the top cause you problems down the road!

One question I have is about the tank dimensions. Is it a tall 75g? It looks more like a 55g, but it is hard to tell if the tank is tall! Either way it is going to be a AWESOME Showpiece when you are done with it!!!

Keep up the AWESOME WORK!!!
Drew
BoxxerBoyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote