My Juwel Reckford 25 gallon - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #16
morgan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Took atomizer off now and replaced with my old ceramic diffuser .
Running at about 2-3 bps now right under a new wave maker 2000l/hr ,added to get the tank water moving a bit better . Took drop checker straight to yellow , but fish and shrimp don't seem to be bothered at all. got a week off work so i can monitor levels closely and adjust as needed .

No pics of the main tank , but here's a few of my shrimp tank ,no CO2 and its occupants.

had theese shrimp a week and they have berried up already

edit - Just purchased another 5 x Crystal Red shrimp ss+ grade Double Hinomaru to get some nice babies
looking for some black crystals also

Last edited by morgan; 08-26-2012 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: edit
morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #17
morgan
Algae Grower

Cherry shrimp going a nice red as she gets older

Going to start tidying the tank floor up now as pelia and java moss is taking over
Old 09-15-2012, 01:16 AM   #18
morgan
Algae Grower

Had a random crystal death in my shrimp tank 3days ago . May have been old age , but i decided to get a tds meter.

Tap water - 245 ppm
Main tank 1 day before weekly water change - using E.I salts - -540 ppm
Shrimp tank - 387ppm .

Im not gonna mess with main tank cause the weekly 50% w/c will keep the ppm in check.
The shrimp tank has had a 25% w/c and is now reading 301ppm.
Purchased 50l of asda still water @ 17p for 2 litres with 100ppm and are slowly introducing that to the tank . May do another 25% on sunday

I am aiming for about 200ppm on the shrimp tank
Old 09-15-2012, 01:58 AM   #19
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Love the wood and all your livestock look great but--have you ever considered leveling the front substrate? I think I get where you were going with the hump, but, to me, it detracts from the look of that great driftwood tree, especially being dead center.
Knotyoureality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #20
morgan
Algae Grower

Hey thanks Knotyoureality . Coincidence was i had just removed all the java moss/riccia from the gravel just before i read your post . Ive kinda smoothed the hump out , but the driftwood has a nasty front edge on the base so ive had to hide half of it with gravel.

Tank is starting to look more and more overgrown now , and looks a little untidy .
Was kinda planned tho . I want my plants to grow out nice and fat before i trim real heavy . That should leave me with a decent bit of trim which i plan on re using or replacing new with old .
The big re scape will prob happen nxt month , if i get a few days off wrk ill go for it .

I did have a nice open top tank , until my cat fell in the tank ....twice .No damage done.
Ive had to put the old trim and diy light back on temperary until i train the cat

Old 09-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #21
morgan
Algae Grower

Just purchased a 3 stage RO filter . Only a cheap one but it makes 230ppm water come out at 12 ppm . With a ratio of my tap water i can easily sort my ph and ppm out now.
I tested the dorset pea gravel yesterday , and it is buffering hard at ph 7.6 which is not good.
i put 2 peat balls in the tank but to no effect , lovely tannins but straight back to 7.6 .
so ive purchased some black sand and made sure it has no buffering capabilities and a water test kit .

Gravel substrate in the crs/rcs tank will be 100% removed on sunday , hoping to get all shrimp back in by the end of sunday . big job it looks like it is gonna be .but its gonna be worth it in the long run for my crystals

Only down side is there is about 10-20 cherries only about a week old in the tank , and possibly new born crystals , my preg crystal went the full 4wks with the eggs but i cannot see any babies that dont look like cherries.Total shrimp population is around 40 - 50 shrimp plus 20 - 30 ramshorns and lots of trumpet snails

fingers crossed that all shrimp make it safely will post pics sun night .
Old 09-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #22
morgan
Algae Grower

Default The big day

Well the substrate swap went pretty smooth
started this morning with my daughter keen to earn her pocket money .

all the hard work was done for me lol

tannins in my water from the peat

sand substrate. not as black as i was hoping for.

filling up

All shrimp and snails are back in now Total time taken - 5 hrs , RO maker is very slow

So im happy now that i have control of the water perimeters, which I havent notched it down too rapid , over the nxt week the PH will be brought down to 6.5 and TDS 130

current stats

PH 7.0 with tester 6.8 with test strip
TDS - 174
KH 70 mg/l
GH 200 mg/l
nitrate 10 mg/l
nitrite 0 mg/l
Old 12-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #23
InannaMoon
Geek

Gorgeous tanks!! And I've learned quite a lot from you this thread as well, never heard of peat balls before!! Thanks so much for posting!!
The Fraternity of Dirt #94
(Journal to come...)
InannaMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #24
mr2
Planted Member

I like how you built up that hill in the middle, you don't often see that in an aquascape. Very nice looking tank!
mr2 is offline   Reply With Quote