100 Gallon Planted Corner Tank - Video Build Journal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
Rane
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

100 Gallon Planted Corner Tank - Video Build Journal

So Far...

Description:

This tank has been running for about 4 months. About a year since I started the build.

I got this tank and stand used off Craigslist. It started out rough with a lot of scratches and such. I sanded and polished the tank and refinished the cabinet.

For the plumbing, I went with an overflow/sump design because I liked the benefits of being able to move some equipment out of the display, and of having a consistent waterline in the display.

I'm using a "Bean Animal" style overflow, which I discovered while reading around on one of the salt forums.

Details here: Bean Animal Silent Overflow

Video Updates:

Part 1 - YouTube.com

Part 2 - YouTube.com

Part 3 - YouTube.com

Part 4 - YouTube.com

Part 5 - YouTube.com

To do:

• Install Pressurized Co2 System
  • Get More Plants.

Plant Stock:
  • Amazon Sword (Echinodorus amazonicus)
  • Anubias Nana (Anubias barteri vari. Nana)
  • Brazilian Pennywort (Hydrocotyle leucocephala)
  • Giant Hairgrass (Eleocharis montevidensis)
  • Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus)
  • Ludwigia (Ludwigia repens)
  • Micro Sword (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis)
  • Water Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis)

Fish Stock:
  • Cardinal Tetra
  • Turquoise Rainbow
  • Boesmani Rainbow
  • Otto
  • Zebra Danio

Photos: (Click Here for Full Build Album)

Last edited by Rane; 12-10-2012 at 05:01 AM.. Reason: Adding Updates
Rane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 02:00 AM   #2
Rane
Algae Grower

I haven't decided on how to do Co2 yet. Pressurized sounds cool, but ends up costing a bit. This thread has me thinking that DIY yeast might be a viable option. The only concern I see is consistency. I know HC can be finicky, though I don't know about the other plants I'm considering.

Has anyone successfully done HC on a DIY yeast system?

Last edited by Rane; 06-12-2012 at 04:41 AM..
Old 02-21-2012, 02:27 AM   #3
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125

I stick to low tech, so can't help you on your CO2/HC problems, but thought I would chime in and say your video updates are great. Wish more people did that. No idea how to embed them though. Good luck!
Pooky125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:09 AM   #4
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

Dude... You would get soooo sick of mixing yeast sugar and water... Not too mention the amount you would need on a tank that size. Just go for the pressurized, you already are spending a good amount on this im sure, so why not do it big?
kwheeler91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
Rane
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooky125 View Post
I stick to low tech, so can't help you on your CO2/HC problems, but thought I would chime in and say your video updates are great. Wish more people did that. No idea how to embed them though. Good luck!
Thanks, I appreciate that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheeler91 View Post
Dude... You would get soooo sick of mixing yeast sugar and water... Not too mention the amount you would need on a tank that size. Just go for the pressurized, you already are spending a good amount on this im sure, so why not do it big?
Yeah probably. From what I read, I'd need about three 2 liter soda bottles with about 2.5 pounds of sugar total; replenished about every two weeks... Not terrible, but refilling one canister every six months does sound a lot easier.

As far as cost, I'm not doing too bad. I paid $200 for the tank and the stand. I figure just the stand is worth more than that, especially considering that all the edges are oak. The other major expenses have been the pump ($60) and the metal halide ballast ($90). Of course, all the little things do add up, but I've also been lucky enough to have a lot of usable pieces just laying around the house.

Last edited by Rane; 12-10-2012 at 04:56 AM.. Reason: Edit
Old 02-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

Oh man only 350 in.... you can probably get a used reg for like 200-300. Im just sayin sugar aint free, amd in the long run you will save. I wish I could have all the money back I wasted putting together half rigged setups and just get one nice one. Im sure you will feel the same way if you dont have patience and rush things.
kwheeler91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
Rane
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheeler91 View Post
Oh man only 350 in.... you can probably get a used reg for like 200-300. Im just sayin sugar aint free, amd in the long run you will save. I wish I could have all the money back I wasted putting together half rigged setups and just get one nice one. Im sure you will feel the same way if you dont have patience and rush things.
Yeah, I think you're right. Pressurized does sound like a better idea.

Last edited by Rane; 06-12-2012 at 04:42 AM..
Old 03-20-2012, 05:11 AM   #8
Rane
Algae Grower

Here's a video update (I don't have pictures just yet):

Video Update Part 4 - YouTube.com

I finished running most of the plumbing and ran a wet test. Things went pretty well aside from some problems with the pump return line. I will be adding a check valve due to my anti-siphon holes not being sufficient in preventing a back-siphon.

I ran across a healthy pot of HC in my local PetsMart and couldn't help but buy it (first time I've ever seen it around here). Obviously, my tank isn't ready for it, so I'm growing it emersed in a little terrarium I had laying around... We'll see how it goes.

I've been getting some awesome advice from people here on the forum. Really appreciate it. Things would not be going so smoothly without it.

Last edited by Rane; 03-23-2012 at 03:16 AM..
Old 03-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125

Here's the actual link. Yours didn't work.
Pooky125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:21 AM   #10
Rane
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooky125 View Post
Here's the actual link. Yours didn't work.
Oops. Thanks for letting me know. I guess I somehow copied the URL from the wrong tab. Fixed.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:59 AM   #11
Rane
Algae Grower

Updated the first post with new pics and a link to part 5 of the video series. I've had the tank running for a few months now. The manzanita is still leaching tannin. I don't have any co2 as of yet, but still plan to get some. I've also added three rainbowfish (two Boesemani and a Turquoise).
Old 12-10-2012, 04:50 AM   #12
Rane
Algae Grower

The tank has changed a lot since my last update. I have an all new aqua-scape, and a number of new plants.

I pulled the Manzanita out after about 4 months. While it did slow, it never fully quite leaching tannins. I suspect that the piece, which I collected locally, may have been too far deteriorated by the sun when I found it to ever be fully stable in the aquarium. It seemed somewhat soft in certain areas when I examined it (not good).

I don't have Co2 yet. I still fully intend to get it, but haven't yet.

First post updated with pictures and such.