A lonely Tree 4 gallon bowl, now with clown kilies, - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 06-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #16
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

haha, my bowl doesnt even have an aquascape anymore lol, its just plants and shrimp. completely overgrown.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:51 PM   #17
stanzzzz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lol even though there's no aquascape anymore, your shrimp bowl still looks nice Newman.

Anyone who have done a dry start method, can tell me whether it's really important to put some holes when you glad wrap your tank or bowl or can it be wrapped without any air letting in.
Which method is better for quicker growth.
stanzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #18
stanzzzz
Algae Grower

little update, for my Dry Start Method.

lilaeopsis is doing great while immersed, i also had some other grass plant (dont know the name), basically i bought 2 pots of the other grass plant and one pot of lilaeopsis.

lilaeopsis is doing great ,shooting new leaves and didn't show any transition effect at all (i.e no leaves melted down), unlike the other grass plant which melted down in the first week, old leaves turned brown and melted but now growing new leaves again.

Green pennyworth is doing great and growing.

Water wisteria seems to be showing transition effect as the leaves are getting brown( have heard that water wisteria when grown immersed have a different leave structure than grown submersed). so will wait till it melts as well and start getting new leaves.

Rotala still looks like going through the transition effect. I have cut the rotala stems into smaller stems and replanted behind the tree. it still not showing much growth.

nothing diff at this stage, just looking same as before, just a bit more growth with microsword.

just a quick questions guys anyone who can give me some suggestion. its abt micro sword grass, it looks like the roots and the plants are on top of the soil rather than inside the soild. can i add some more aqua soil and cover the grass with aquasoil or just leave it for now and it will slowly grow like a carpet..
Old 07-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #19
stanzzzz
Algae Grower

Default update

So finally lost my patience and decided to submerge the bowl with water,.. so as far as growth goes , i had slow growth , dont know why, but roots have established very nicely. bought some blyxa japonica and removed pennyworth. . I also topped up with ada aquasoil on top of gravel ..So filled up with water and water still murky.. wanted green carpet like look but till now its not happening.. nyways. let the pics decide .. any suggestions are welcome.

i have to say after filling the bowl with water it does distort the image, hopefully once the water clear up and gets settled it should look good.

from back

any suggestions are welcome
Old 07-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #20
FisheriesOmen
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Looking good so far, but everything looks kind of low to the ground. Hope some of the plants you chose grow more vertically.
The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
FisheriesOmen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #21
psalm18.2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Why can't my bowl look as good. Nice.

I think we have the same bowl. But mine is super boring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1342284901829.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	50845  

Old 07-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #22
idleivey
Planted Member

I this looks good so far, I think as it grows in it will look a lot better. I really like the piece of wood you went with. I hate waiting too, I've had one bowl going emmersed for weeks now and it is killing me.
idleivey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 08:05 AM   #23
stanzzzz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm18.2 View Post
Why can't my bowl look as good. Nice.

I think we have the same bowl. But mine is super boring.
thanks psalm, at least your plants are growing super quick. its a nice bowl.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #24
stanzzzz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by idleivey View Post
I this looks good so far, I think as it grows in it will look a lot better. I really like the piece of wood you went with. I hate waiting too, I've had one bowl going emmersed for weeks now and it is killing me.
Idleivey, thanks for the comments, i love that wood as well. I waited like month and a half before flooding,couldnt wait more as the micro sword were not growing.. could be cos its winter here and i dont have any heater in my bowl. good luck with your bowl as well. hope it will be nicely carpeted before you flood it with water.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #25
stanzzzz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisheriesOmen View Post
Looking good so far, but everything looks kind of low to the ground. Hope some of the plants you chose grow more vertically.
thanks FisheriesOmen , as per your suggestion i have planted some stem plants like rotala sp red. hopefully it will be nice and tall within a couple of weeks..

guys if any one can suggest, I have seachem TRACE and FLOURISH. should i also buy EXCEL or i should be fine using the one i have. Also when should start dosing it ????
Old 07-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #26
stanzzzz
Algae Grower

Default new update

Another update, its after a week , did another water change yesterday. things are looking good and i added some pebbles beneath the driftwood.
Plants are doing ok even HC that i though will melt down. Micro sword is growing as well, can see several new shoots. super stoked. Blyxa is melting down but got some new green leaves, so assuming it should do fine, will see in another week or so..
Also added a little bit of willow moss to the wood.

Guys feel free to criticize or give some suggestions or comments if you like
here are the pics:

view from top

Last edited by stanzzzz; 07-23-2012 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: new pic
Old 08-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #27
stanzzzz
Algae Grower

So took some more pics nothing major, did some Photoshop as well , anyways all i did was added another branch and tied some moss to it lol.. this week will get the shrimps yeaaaaaaaaaaaa

Photoshop 1

original pic looks crappy lol, sorry cookie will soon buy some black background and will try for better snap.

photoshop2

original

photoshop2

original

Also blyxa japonica almost melted , but can see new leave shooting out so i hope they will grow back.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #28
stanzzzz
Algae Grower

Small update i got 6 females and 6 male shrimps. females are really nice and bright. they are all sitting and chillaxing under the tree.. its like their tree house.

i havent fed them at all, when i put them in my bowl, they did shed there shell as i can see couple of hollow shrimps shell. they havent eaten that so i am assuming they are not hungry.
will feed them tomorrow.

Also as you can see i added some hair grass,
Old 12-19-2012, 11:45 PM   #29
stanzzzz
Algae Grower

So this is current state, pretty bad, had massive cyno bacteria no matter what I did, it never went away. Just trimmed the plants, my stem plants are not growing Much at all , hairgrass seems to be growing, lileopolis not growing at all but not dying as well..anyways just thought to post the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0220.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	59207  

Old 12-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #30
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

looks good and the grass makes it look much better. once the moss gets going it will look insane. it just takes a long time.

i had cyano too back when i first started mine. you have to diligently siphon it out during each weeks water change. after a couple of months it went away. but then i had a major cladophora outbreak (had a moss ball in the bowl so maybe that was the culprit?) and after that its been more than a year now and i haven't even cleaned my glass. no algae on glass or plants. pretty amazing.

yours will reach that stage too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.