Movie: Upbringing of young Taiwan Bees from F1 hybrids - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 05-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #31
Senior Shrimpo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
Could this not be achieved by adding an airstone?

Just wanted to add, Thanks for sharing this video. Just love seeing how others around the world care for these magnificient little creatures. Makes me want to get some blue shrimp
Nahh, what this oxygenator is accomplishing is it makes pure O2 gas. The chemical reaction insures it is pure.

Airstones are great and they really help, I have two in my 30 gallon alone, they raise oxygen in the tank but also add in other gases from the atmosphere (eh is that the right word? I'm tempted to say atmosphere haha) which aren't as good as pure oxygen.
Senior Shrimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #32
Jorge_Burrito
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Shrimpo View Post
Nahh, what this oxygenator is accomplishing is it makes pure O2 gas. The chemical reaction insures it is pure.

Airstones are great and they really help, I have two in my 30 gallon alone, they raise oxygen in the tank but also add in other gases from the atmosphere (eh is that the right word? I'm tempted to say atmosphere haha) which aren't as good as pure oxygen.
You more or less got it. Having a pure source of oxygen that looks like it delivers a very fine mist of bubbles is going to help to get more oxygen in the water versus an airpump with a stone, basically analogous to all the work that goes on to get CO2 to dissolve in water for people that run high tech setups. Of course, there is roughly 20% oxygen present in the atmosphere and you are pumping a lot of air through the system with an airpump so I am not sure how it all balances out. The other gases from the atmosphere aren't going to cause any harm. It would be interesting to do some studies of dissolved oxygen on an aquarium running an Oxydator or similar device versus one running an airstone and see if their is any difference.

One potential advantage of the Oxydator is it appears to continually release very small amounts of hydrogen peroxide (not just oxygen) into the water. Peroxides before they are decomposed are very strong oxidizers which have some benefits for water quality, although I would be a little wary of long term exposure effects on the shrimp as peroxides will also attack living tissue.
Jorge_Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #33
shrimpnmoss
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss

Wouldn't the continual release of hydrogen peroxide kill some of the beneficial bacteria in the system? You always have to give up something to gain something else.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #34
Jorge_Burrito
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)

Nevermind, I just read the website again, I was wrong about it releasing pure hydrogen peroxide.
Jorge_Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #35
GarnelenTom
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I use the 6% hydrogen peroxide. Good experiences are made here in the summer months. Less deaths in the hot season reported in forums.
GarnelenTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #36
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Hey Jorge you sort of buried the lead on your chemistry explanation.

If you start with the whole phd in chemistry thing more people might take it seriously enough to read through it.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #37
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnelenTom View Post
I use the 6% hydrogen peroxide. Good experiences are made here in the summer months. Less deaths in the hot season reported in forums.
Most people have come to agree that increased oxygen levels in Taiwan Bee tanks are highly beneficial.

They are just discussing what the difference might be between using airstones and using these ceramic things to introduce pure O2.

Either way, thank you for sharing.

What little German I learned in school was a LONG time ago (I think that y'all may still have been Prussian at the time...might have even been before the Romans started fighting the Germanic tribes). I would feel like a total geek if I had any of my German friends try and translate any of this stuff for me so it is always appreciated when someone shares more detailed information on German shrimp keeping with us English speaking folk.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:17 AM   #38
MsNemoShrimp
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...

PTrader: (414/100%)

So in terms of getting more oxygen into the water, is it better to use a very fine airstone (like a co2 diffuser attached to an airpump) or add an extra small filter with lots of surface agitation via spraybar?
Old 07-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #39
jameshill247
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

so i just keep cherrys and i guess they are not as sensitive but i was thinking of maybe getting a cheap air can style co2 set about 7 you know the ones you press the can down and it releases and fills the chamber up and i think you press it like 2 times a day or something to keep it topped up? i could be wrong bad side is when your away it wont keep topped up

but... i just have java moss and xmas moss that grows pretty fast anyway (also made about 20 on trimmings of it put on ebay so far) so i was thinking a little co2 could help

i do run a sponge filter and an airstone as well so the water is pretty agitated would that make a difference to the co2? i have never thought about it till reading this thread and would the o2 being pumped in to the water through the airstone and filter make a difference?

i do like the sound of a co2 diffuser for an airstone cos they look nicer the ceramic ones and the bubbles are very fine guess that would help to dissolve it quicker?
jameshill247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #40
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Shrimpo View Post
Well it seems pretty easy to overdose... that little oxygenator thing is only giving out the tiniest stream of bubbles and to spend money on an O2 system for that would be kinda silly.

I'd be more worried about the shrimp dying from too much oxygen. The water either wouldn't be able to hold all the gas and it would just not dissolve into the air or it would dissolve to unsafe levels for the shrimp.
Too much oxygen? LOL. No. You'll never over saturate your water with oxygen to the point of killing livestock.
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:55 AM   #41
Senior Shrimpo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
Too much oxygen? LOL. No. You'll never over saturate your water with oxygen to the point of killing livestock.
Hehe didn't mean to say that >.> I probably meant co2 or hydrogen peroxide but I don't remember that was from a while ago.
Senior Shrimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #42
sunyang730
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

I watch the video, and I have a question about the UGF. There are may holes around the air tube area. Why is that? Or does anyone know?

Please forgive me for my grammar mistakes!
sunyang730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #43
michael09
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Can some one tell me do we just feed bee pollen to shrimp or we has to cook first then feed them?
michael09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #44
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

Bee pollen can be fed raw.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #45
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (107/100%)

I feed it raw myself, I crush it up in a fine powder and treat it like baby shrimp food or other additives. My shrimp do not go nuts like people say they do for it though. If I put a lump of it in a feeding dish and on the other side of the tank put a baby spinach leaf the swarm the leaf. Or even if I put my GEOCHEM white pellet on the other side they would swarm that instead too
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote