The 1+ ton tank: 320 gallons - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-29-2012, 04:51 AM   #16
akpoly
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgd View Post
Why two drains for simply draining the tank? Sure, go for it, but I would plug one unless you need to drain that sucker really fast.

Put a gate valve on one of the overflow drains and run it at full syphon. Use the other as an emergency and have just a trickle running down it. It will keep things quiet and there's no way you'll max the single drain with two Eheims if the drain is running full syphon. I'd guess you'll have to dial it back about 1/3-1/2 regardless. Those Eheims will be pumping out close to 1500gph and a single 1.5" should handle around 3000 at full syphon.
I think 1 of the drainpipes will be 12" high and hidden in driftwood. I just got some nice wood pieces from Tom Barr but I have to see if its possible to hide a drain first. So if someone were to do water changes and had to say, leave for a second (or more than likely forget about it and come back in an hour) it won't drain the entire tank. Tom brought this up.

Second drain can be for a full tank drain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishykid1 View Post
akoly, I would switch the pump side to the other side. You'll put less stress on the pump by doing a straight vertical piping rather than having 2 extra elbows and 3' extra feet of return line.
That is of course, if you can. I see you had the drain line on the other side, which may block that. (I'm sure you have thought about that.)

nevermind, i see that they have installed a drain there in the pics. That was not a very good design move IMO because it puts more head pressure on the pumps.
I always thought head pressure was related to vertical height of the water column? But no elbows, flexible tubing all around here.

And yeah, bummer about the drain. But that was just where it was put I didn't know if I should put the pump close to the drain for less tubing or put the overflows close to the drain for less tubing. I can't do both.
akpoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #17
akpoly
Planted Member

Default Update!

Teaser shots! Some wood I picked up from Tom Barr

Some initial setups:

This looks much better in person.

I got my lights in from amazon but they packed the lights stupidly. They put them on the bottom of the box and padding on top of it. Of course theyre broken in a million pieces.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #18
Em85
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

If I were you, and I had that deep of a tank to play with, I would draw inspiration from this guy's epic tank: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...formation.html

That build is making me seriously consider turning my 210 into a planted tank.

210 Gallon ~ Clown Loaches & Various Rainbows
125 Gallon ~ Planted
20 Gallon Long ~ Planted
Em85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:19 AM   #19
akpoly
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em85 View Post
If I were you, and I had that deep of a tank to play with, I would draw inspiration from this guy's epic tank: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...formation.html

That build is making me seriously consider turning my 210 into a planted tank.
Thanks for the read and pretty pictures. I don't know what I could draw from his tank atm since its a bit different in terms of layout and ours really being a wall divider so its seen from 2 sides, but I'm sure I'll borrow something.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:22 AM   #20
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (113/100%)

I love that wood. I'd love to scape a tank without paying a penny
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:22 AM   #21
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Nope, even horizontally there is head loss to be accounted for. Not usually a big deal, but friction is still present.

Like the wood! Still mad there's no water in this thing yet :P
fishykid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:59 AM   #22
akpoly
Planted Member

New toys! And the most accepted driftwood layout.

Plumbing going in next Wednesday. I hope.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:21 AM   #23
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

I love photos of gear piled up, that looks like so much fun!!!!You need to find a barrel to start soaking that wood and all those cracks and splits will be a great place to cram Java Trident and Anubias Petite, woot, woot. Sorry it was all those Eheim pumps that got me syked.

This place has good prices if they have something your looking for, like Ebo-Jager 300 watt heater for $27 and really fair shipping or bulkhead mounts to install the heaters in the side of the sump so the dial is right up front for adjusting, Jehmco has some hard to find stuff too.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #24
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (255/100%)

I'm not sure adding the wood in the center like that is advisable. Would it look nicer if you had 2 opposing placements or off set to one side ???

My 180 has a similar wood set up and angles etc, but it set off to one side of the tank.

2 separate groups might be nice also.

You need to seal the inlets for the sump so no gas exchange can take place where the water comes in there, bag filters stink for this reason in most sump designs.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #25
akpoly
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
I'm not sure adding the wood in the center like that is advisable. Would it look nicer if you had 2 opposing placements or off set to one side ???

My 180 has a similar wood set up and angles etc, but it set off to one side of the tank.

2 separate groups might be nice also.

You need to seal the inlets for the sump so no gas exchange can take place where the water comes in there, bag filters stink for this reason in most sump designs.
We'll play around with it moving it off centered vs centered to see what works best. We were thinking because its visible on 3 sides, and its at a corner wall centered might be best. And I don't mean visible on 3 sides like most tanks where you have to lean over to see the side panels. This is 3 sides that you will always walk past.

What do you mean by seal the inlets? I can put a piece of PVC in the inlet so it reaches the bottom of the filter sock so it doesn't splash around. That seems like it would help take some noise out of the sump too.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #26
Lil' Swimz$
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

OMG Subscribed!

20g
Lil' Swimz$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #27
akpoly
Planted Member

Quick update. I can't do the plumbing (most likely has to do with liability) so the contractor is doing it! But he won't be able to do it until Friday. But all the parts are there for him. And the millwork is done.

You can see some sand piled up on the left.

I tested the water and it is hard. Very hard. 350+mg/l. And the PH is very basic. PH was 8.3 if I remember correctly. No funds left for an RO system. And I would have thought they installed a water softener but they didn't.

So, no more discus for sure as the centerpiece fish. I've been reading captive bred angelfish do fine in hard water. I wanted to get altums but they require soft water too.

Any other suggestions for the centerpiece fish?
Old 06-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #28
DerekFF
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

Discus can still live in that water

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
DerekFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #29
akpoly
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekFF View Post
Discus can still live in that water

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Everywhere I've read and from everyone I've spoken to said discus prefer soft water.

Do you have discus in hard water?
Old 06-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #30
Em85
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I live in Boise, ID - VERY hard water, and people (including the LFS) are keeping discus. Someone in my local fish club even had them spawn recently, and he uses straight tap.

210 Gallon ~ Clown Loaches & Various Rainbows
125 Gallon ~ Planted
20 Gallon Long ~ Planted
Em85 is offline   Reply With Quote