Mythin's Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long (Flooded 9/13/2012!) - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-16-2012, 01:55 AM   #91
if_fishes_were_wishes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

Wow is that stunning! So serene!
Eheim pimp #255

55 gallon semi-aggressive community tank, 13.3 gallon cherry shrimp tank 12 long reef
12G Rimless Club
if_fishes_were_wishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 04:35 AM   #92
KenRC51
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythin View Post
I had a little bit of melt, but that was more due to me having to use H2O2 to take out some BGA I had cultivated during my DSM. The UG in the area's that I treated with H2O2 died, other than that I got very little melt once I flooded. I got a little bit of diatoms that lasted a few days. After I flooded I waited a month and a half or so before I gave all the UG a haircut, and now its growing in nice and thick. It takes about a month to recover going either way, from emersed to submerged or vice versa. It will take a month before you notice any growth, meaning you will probably notice melt rather than growth, but after that initial month, whatever UG survives, it should start spreading quite quickly.
I didn't know BGA can grown when in DSM. I thought that when in DSM it makes it harder for algae to grow, am I right?

Diatoms are so easy to take care of. Just get a few oto cats and they will take care of it. So far, every new setup I have started had diatoms algae.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #93
mythin
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenRC51 View Post
I didn't know BGA can grown when in DSM. I thought that when in DSM it makes it harder for algae to grow, am I right?

Diatoms are so easy to take care of. Just get a few oto cats and they will take care of it. So far, every new setup I have started had diatoms algae.
Yeah, you can get BGA in a DSM, it being a bacteria and not truley an algae. Its called "blue green algae" because its able to photosynthesis light much like algae, but its still a bacteria. I was blasting the light too hard near the start of my DSM and the BGA started to form, but it was really easy to get rid of once flooded with a syringe and spot H2O2 treatment.

Just make sure you have 0 standing water, and that the waterline comes only half way up the substrate depth. I only misted every other day, just kept the plastic wrap on 100% the rest of the time, and I had very little other issues.
mythin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:55 PM   #94
mythin
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just a quick cellphone shot, will probably do a proper post in another week or two once the few last bald patches fill in.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #95
bigd603
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm really loving this tank. So simple but enthralling. Where do you get those stones? Are they seiryu? If so, did they alter your h2o parameters at all?
bigd603 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #96
bitFUUL
Aquaponics FTW!

PTrader: (18/100%)

Lookin' good mythin!

[50g][30g][18g][12g][11.4g][7.5g][7.13g][5.5g][4.1g][3g] - [grow][pond]
bitFUUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #97
mythin
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ive decided to re-do this tank completely, After I moved into my new apartment most of my UG floated up, due to substrate moving during my move and I decided I want to start over with this tank anyway. I am selling off all the seiryu and HC and UG in this tank, and maybe the substrate too. I am going to set this up as a sulawesi cardinal tank, perhaps a planted sulawesi cardinal tank, my tap water is 8.0 out the tap, and ive always wanted cardinals so im gonna give it a go. I have my seiryu rock for sale on APC if anyone is interested.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #98
sunyang730
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Oh man, so sad that you are selling everything. They look so good. LOL

Please forgive me for my grammar mistakes!
sunyang730 is offline   Reply With Quote