What's so bad about baby betta at Petco? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 05-29-2012, 02:47 AM   #16
moosenart
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)

i just pick one of these lil guys up today... he is pretty awesome... healthy and eating great!

I ride motorcycles.
moosenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #17
taiwwa
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxSPaUyhxk0

so it looks like the babies at petco are like a month old
taiwwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:25 AM   #18
moosenart
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)

Yep. that looks about the size of mine! :P

I ride motorcycles.
moosenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:04 AM   #19
Beer
Planted Tank Obsessed

I avoid them because I do not want to support people/businesses that do not properly care for their animals. I've only bought bettas from places that keep them in a tank with fish that won't nip at their fins, or in dividers that provide good flow within a larger tank. I have a store near me that actually has a setup that has dividers with overflows to keep the fish separated, but keep flow through each section. Maybe 1/3 to 1/2 gal of space.
Also the places that take better care of their fish like this also tend to buy from reputable breeders that care for their fish. The fish also tend to have better genetics/health.
Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #20
Gingerleaf

I have a baby betta Named Mars. hes about 2 1/2 moths old and hes amazing! i keep him in a 4 gallon tank with a filter, heater, and alot of decor, i feed him 2 frozen bloodworms ( thawed out of course) 3 times a day. Baby bettas need alot of protien, clean water and hiding spots. its just so sad how some people dont take care of their bettas Good Luck with your new Baby Betta!!!!
Gingerleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #21
GoKingsGo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluval View Post
The fish you get at PetSmart or PetCo are at least two months old. That is when breeders try to get rid of stock.
The ones in my Petco aren't making it to 2 months. I stopped in Petco yesterday, and there were 8 stacks of 6 cups each. I looked at about 2 stacks, and there were at least 4 dead bettas in each stack. Deplorable how this store operates. I think I am going to have to get another tank just to rescue/rehab some of these.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #22
Beer
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGo View Post
The ones in my Petco aren't making it to 2 months. I stopped in Petco yesterday, and there were 8 stacks of 6 cups each. I looked at about 2 stacks, and there were at least 4 dead bettas in each stack. Deplorable how this store operates. I think I am going to have to get another tank just to rescue/rehab some of these.
The problem with this theory of rescuing Bettas that are being sold in these conditions is that you are supporting and encouraging the poor practices and abusive behaviors. If people continue to purchase from these retailers and don't say anything about the deplorable conditions that the fish are kept in, they will continue to keep these poorly bred fish in horrible conditions. Many times the fish are bred solely for volume with no concern for health or genetic faults.

Many breeders use the cup method for raising young Bettas (larger cups with frequent water changes). It is difficult to maintain large space for a fish that is aggressive towards the same or similar looking species and is susceptible to excessive fin nipping by so many other fish. Temporary homing in small containers is one thing, it's the excessively small containers with a lack of water changes combined with a lack of information for the consumer that is the main issue. People assume that since they are sold in small dirty containers, it's fine for them to live their entire life that way, or they justify their small tanks by "hey, at least it's better than dying in that tiny dirty cup they were living in at the store".
Old 09-30-2013, 07:00 AM   #23
Seishin

My mother just bought me a baby Betta today from Petgo as a congratulations for my first job. I told her how much I'd love to breed betta's, but never had the right tools to breed.

I do have a small question however...My mother doesn't know much about betta's, and so she bought me a terribly small, small, tank, 0.5 Gallons, however, until I get a new check its all I can work with because I spent my money on a heater and Frozen Brine shrimp. But, I worry, this heater is fairly...Over powering, I guess I could say? I know babies need to be at 80 F, would it hurt them if the heat was 85 F? Or should I unplug the heater?
Seishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #24
Kat12
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Also realize that even if all the ones at the store appear healthy and happy (etc) I've had the aquatic managers tell me themselves that when the shipment comes in to the store 50% of the bettas are dead or nearly dead. So yes, the ones you see are great, but you're not seeing all the ones that were sent to the store and what has already happened to many of them.
Kat12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #25
Raaan
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seishin View Post
My mother just bought me a baby Betta today from Petgo as a congratulations for my first job. I told her how much I'd love to breed betta's, but never had the right tools to breed.

I do have a small question however...My mother doesn't know much about betta's, and so she bought me a terribly small, small, tank, 0.5 Gallons, however, until I get a new check its all I can work with because I spent my money on a heater and Frozen Brine shrimp. But, I worry, this heater is fairly...Over powering, I guess I could say? I know babies need to be at 80 F, would it hurt them if the heat was 85 F? Or should I unplug the heater?
It depends on what temperature your room is at. I would think 76-78 is better than 85, but if it's too cold in your room, it may be more detrimental. I would say to keep the heater plugged in for now, but look out for any signs of heat stress. Also, if you have a spare plastic bucket or something similar that's 2-5 gallons, it might be better to move him in there until you can get him a proper tank.

I took it and I Raaan with it
Raaan is offline   Reply With Quote