Rams in a 10 gallon?!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 05-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
Elliot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Rams in a 10 gallon?!

I was searching through the forum trying to find out how many CPDs I could fit in a 10 gallon. I didn't find quite what I was looking for to answer that question, but I found something else that excited me. Someone was trying to find out if they could stock their 10 gallon with rams (the species of ram was undecided). Can you stock a pair of German Blue Rams in a soon to be heavily planted 10 gallon? The reason I was going for the CPDs is because this tank will be so heavily planted that the GBRs will probably have a hard time wiggling in and out of the planted areas. Let me know what you opinions are on this. I won't be to disappointed if the GBR pair is to big for a 10 gallon
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
The Trigger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Yeah they won't do too good in there. They tend to stake a territory if they breed and they wont let anything in that vacinity. Tends to be about a foot to a foot and a half radius of impenetrable GBR dominance. I say about one pair per 20 gallons is the minimum. But that's just me
The Trigger is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
Elliot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was thinking about just one pair of GBRs. Would they have the same dominance if it were just a male and female?
Old 05-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
The Trigger
Wannabe Guru

Yeah male and female breeding pair is what I'm talking about. I just got my first pair about two months ago and they're doing great in my 29. But a friend of mine has a pair in his 55 that are about 2.5" long. So you see what I mean? They will outgrow that tank fast. Plus even in his 55, they set up a parimeter like a military force and they would not let anything near the nest. I watched, with my own eyes, a lonely bleeding heart tetra wander too close to the nest and bang.....the male flew at him like a missile to a Target and killed the bleeding heart with a SINGLE BLOW. it sank to the bottom and died a few minutes later as the shock was too much....so yeah....the male and female show some dominance.....
Old 05-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
Elliot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes, I see what you mean. I wasn't going to have any take mates in there with the pair. All of the dominance issues that you have stated are with the tank mates. I just want to be 100% sure it isn't doable.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #6
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I was thinking about do this too but from what I have read. It doesn't big enough them.
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 11:49 PM   #7
LB79
Wannabe Guru

I'd go with badis or pygmy gouramis. They're smaller and less militant when breeding.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 11:51 PM   #8
The Trigger
Wannabe Guru

I'm sure its doable. Nothings impossible, but I wouldn't recommend it. They're very sensitive to space and water parameters. They stress easily too if they feel they don't have enough space to themselves.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #9
Elliot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks like I'll just go with a group of CPDs then. How many could I comfortably fit in a 10 gal?
Old 05-23-2012, 12:18 AM   #10
The Trigger
Wannabe Guru

Well a small fish like that would probably be good for the one inch of fish per gallon rule.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:29 AM   #11
CatB
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB

i mean, it's maybe doable, but i don't think that makes it right. it's like you with a husband/wife in a closet, trying to make babies xD. doesn't sound fun, does it?
CPDs are awesome little fishies anyways, i'd definitely go with them even if rams were a real option...
CatB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 02:00 AM   #12
The Trigger
Wannabe Guru

+1 to the above
Old 05-23-2012, 02:39 AM   #13
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I've got a Trio of GB Rams in my Toxic Ten now. They are starting some pre-spawn activity. Girl on Girl posturing, Male cleaning the small pc of slate I put in. The Tank is thicker that the last photo on that Journal.

I breed Golds years ago. I think water is the big factor. My comes out of the tap at 7.5ish. When I see this activity I start doing my water changes with distilled water and/or rain water. I add Oak Leaf tannins via Oak Leaf tea and bring up the temps. I think food variety is also important. Of course live food if you can find it.

The odd girl will work as a dither fish and there's plenty of cover to hide. If I only had the pair I'd introduce a molly or other live bearer as a dither fish.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #14
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatB View Post
i mean, it's maybe doable, but i don't think that makes it right. it's like you with a husband/wife in a closet, trying to make babies xD. doesn't sound fun, does it?
CPDs are awesome little fishies anyways, i'd definitely go with them even if rams were a real option...
I respectfully disagree. While of fish to tank size/amt. ratio is important. I think what is more important is to consider the natural swimming range/area of the fish itself.

Rams & Apistos live in a very small nitch in the wild. Unlike CPD that have a much larger area they cover. In this comparison the CPD might voter 50Xs the space a ram does every day in the natural world. While the dramatic image husband and wife raising a baby in a closet is compelling on the surface, it is not relative to the topic.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #15
LB79
Wannabe Guru

Love the last line, Dog!

Yeah, rams and apistos can do it in a small tank. A. steindachneri has been know to spawn in five-gallon holding-buckets. These are the largest apistos, with males getting 4+ inches. Just don't stress the rams (lack of cover, lights coming on at 4 AM, letting the water quality deteriorate, etc.) and they should be fine. If they are the only fish in there, it should be a stable, stress-free environment.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.