What to do with Paired Angels???
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 05-25-2012, 05:52 AM   #1
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

What to do with Paired Angels???

Hey Everyone!

Been doing some cruising on the 55g planted tank and letting everything settle down and letting the fish grow. Well in the 55g I have 5 Angels and 3 Ottos, and that is it! I know it is lightly stocked, but I have been on the fence about what to do with the Angels and what direction I want to do a new scape in!

The Angels are from the SnS here and have been doing great, or at least till 2 of them paired off! The pair has spawned 3 times now, but have eaten the eggs within 2 days of spawning. The eggs look great and there have only been 1 or 2 eggs turn white, so I believe they are fertile.

I can't decide to leave the pair in the 55g, and move the other 3 to another tank or swap them at the LFS for some cories or something, OR to move the pair to a 40B then go with what ever in the 55g. The pair are the BEST LOOKING out of the 5, and are my favorite! The other 3 are mostly Black, with 2 being female and 1 male, but the male has a mis-formed mouth! I am unsure if He was born that way or got damaged in shipping or damaged it when he was in the 55g. He eats very well and can defend himself too, but I don't want to breed him in case it is genetic. The LFS has a 175g (IIRC) display tank, and they said they would put them in it, so I could continue to see them!

So I guess what I am asking is weather yall would leave them in the 55g, and try to find some other fish to go with them that they won't kill when breeding, or to move them to the 40B and redo the 55g for Rainbows or Tetras, what ever???

I KNOW EITHER WAY I NEED TO SEPARATE THE 3 from the PAIR, as the Pair constantly harasses the 3 and the 2 females have had a bout of Ich because of it, but it is gone now!

Will I be able to add any mid or upper level fish with the breading pair in either tank??? Or will it be better off just going with Ottos and Cories with the pair?

I have bread fish before, but never Angel fish! I have had many African Cichlids breed and rear their young, German Blue rams, Guppies, Mollies, Rainbows, even had a pair of Red Eared Sun Perch breed in a aquarium when I was a kid! Just never Angels, and usually the breeding took place in community tanks!

SO THANK YOU FOR READING ALL OF THIS, and for ANY ADVICE YALL CAN HELP ME WITH!!!

OH by the way the 40B is still sitting in my kitchen floor empty because I haven't built the stand yet, but I have EVERYTHING to set it up, including a ESTABLISHED Fluval 205 that has been running on the 55g for 6 months! SO after I build the stand setup the tank and add the plants and established filter I should be ok to add the Angel Pair without any cycle! I THINK at least! Yall know how Aquariums can fool Ya sometimes and do exactly the opposite of what they should do!

I will get some pics of the Angels and post them in my Journal and in the thread asking for Angel pics too!

Thanks Again!
Drew
BoxxerBoyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

I'd defiantly keep the pair, either in the 55 or the 40B, that's more your decision and preferences
I personally just don't like the idea of having only 3 angels together, because if two gang up on one the its goodbye to the odd guy out
I used to have just 3 together and then one day the subdominant fish took the eye straight out of the dominant fish's head and left it dangling there by a blood vessel, the stress or whatnot killed the poor thing shortly after I discovered it
the 2 alone though were fine and acted like a pair, though I never saw any spawning or anything
HybridHerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerBoyDrew View Post
*** and 1 male, but the male has a mis-formed mouth! I am unsure if He was born that way or got damaged in shipping or damaged it when he was in the 55g. He eats very well and can defend himself too, but I don't want to breed him in case it is genetic. The LFS has a 175g (IIRC) display tank, and they said they would put them in it, so I could continue to see them!

SO THANK YOU FOR READING ALL OF THIS, and for ANY ADVICE YALL CAN HELP ME WITH!!!

Thanks Again!
Drew
Hey Drew, congrats on spawns.
Sadly water quality issues can bend fins, but form problems are 99.9% genetic. I would cull the deformed fish. Once you have breeding pairs space is always in short supply and it's better to use the LFS for quality fish distribution rather than saving a 'freddy' fish. Part of the hobby that's never easy but needs to be done.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
zonamav
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

A school of 10+ large tetras can go with the breeding pair as the aggresion will be diffused. I have 12 black skirts with my breeding pair in a 50 gallon. Plus 6 serpae tetras that mostly stay low.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
zonamav is offline   Reply With Quote