It's time for a sump!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 05-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

It's time for a sump!

I've finally decided that enough is enough with these canisters. I should have gone this route from the beginning on this tank. Now it's going to be a tougher move.

I've decided that this tank is going to be low tech again as I'm tired of trimming every 3-4 days on this large of a tank while in College and Working 35 hours a week.

Tank - 75 Gallon
Overflow is a pf-800
Pump is a Quiet One 3000 - 500GPH after head loss calculations

I've decided to go a PF-300 Eshopps overflow. I will be adding a second redundant overflow bulkhead & pipe just incase the main pipe gets clogged (doubt it, but you never know).

I have all the piping figured out and trying to figure out the pump.Right now it's looking like a Quiet One 3000 which is rated at 819 GPH @ 0' head. After head loss calculations it's sitting right around 450-475 GPH according to their website.

I plan on including a few redundancies including ball valves, emergency shut off (float) and a couple unions to make servicing/cleaning MUCH easier.

It will have 2 outflows, one having the inline heater (HYDOR), and the other just being a flow nozzle.

Pictures to come - off to home depot to start collecting my Pipe and fittings. Overflow and Pump in the mail!

Last edited by fishykid1; 05-23-2012 at 05:35 PM..
fishykid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

YAY go team sump!
Old 05-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
slavecorps
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Sumps are the way to go if you have space. I miss having one, but my dorm will only allow 1 aquarium, and they consider the sump a seperate aquarium.
slavecorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
Mekong
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Here is a pic of the sump I just finished last night for my 90g. Its a 20 long, I got 3 glass panels cut and I siliconed them in there. My plan is to stuff filter material in between the baffles. The return pump is a mag 12

Mekong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:19 AM   #5
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekong View Post
Here is a pic of the sump I just finished last night for my 90g. Its a 20 long, I got 3 glass panels cut and I siliconed them in there. My plan is to stuff filter material in between the baffles. The return pump is a mag 12

Mag 12 on a Freswater 90G? Even if your at 5' of head your still running like what, 850 GPH?

Sump is mostly done! Pictures Monday because the glass that I bought broke due to me being stubborn and i didn't have a very good glass cutter.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:11 AM   #6
Mekong
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishykid1 View Post
Mag 12 on a Freswater 90G? Even if your at 5' of head your still running like what, 850 GPH?

Sump is mostly done! Pictures Monday because the glass that I bought broke due to me being stubborn and i didn't have a very good glass cutter.
Its from my old reef. I also have a mag 7, would that be better?

Cant wait to see your design.
Mekong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

The 12 will be fine. I shoot for 10x turnover throug my filter. And yes even my wet/dry sumpHelps keep particles suspended for filtration and higher oxygen levels.
My 10 gallon shrimp tank has around 30x turnover but i overfeed so there is cause
Old 05-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
The 12 will be fine. I shoot for 10x turnover throug my filter. And yes even my wet/dry sumpHelps keep particles suspended for filtration and higher oxygen levels.
My 10 gallon shrimp tank has around 30x turnover but i overfeed so there is cause
I'd be more worried depending on which overflow your using. I've always used sumps are filtration and haven't really included them in the actual flow of the tank. I'll also have 2 Koralia Nanos and a UV sterilizer attached to a pump in the tank. So I'll be pushing ~ 600GPH plus the ~325 GPH on the sump.

Yes 10X turn over is good, but if your overflow can't handle the pump output you may want to do the Mag 7 but just put a ball valve inline just incase. I'll show you pictures of my set up - granted I'm going for redundancy just in case something goes wrong.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #9
shrimpNewbie
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Just one question, why use an inline heater with a sump?
shrimpNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #10
Bahugo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpNewbie View Post
I was like "huh" when I Read this then I was like "oh you can just put it in the sump" lol... it is one of those days.

Anyways the OP already has the inline heater (atleast according too his journal).
Fraternity of dirt #8
Bahugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #11
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Well if ur building the setup. Then shooting for the 10x rate isnt a bad goal... i run about 334 gph on my 29 gallon
Old 05-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #12
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahugo View Post
I was like "huh" when I Read this then I was like "oh you can just put it in the sump" lol... it is one of those days.

Anyways the OP already has the inline heater (atleast according too his journal).
Haha!! I confused you! I've decided to change it up already, which I usually do about 10-15 million times. It will no longer have a heater inline. (Yes I ran a Hydor 300W)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
Well if ur building the setup. Then shooting for the 10x rate isnt a bad goal... i run about 334 gph on my 29 gallon

The main reason why I'm doing around a 300 GPH return pump is because I don't want to go over what the overflow can handle. The overflow I have is rated at ~300 GPH to be the 'optimum' operation condition. However, it can handle more than that with a slight modification or a better stand off pipe.

Each outflow will be pushing about 150 GPH through a 1" ID pipe so it will be a nice stream. (Note that this tank is for angels and slow moving fish, so I don't want it to be swirling) Consistent smooth flow > crappy jet flows sorry to bore you :P
Old 05-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #13
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpNewbie View Post
Well, because I have a 45$ heater that has kept my tank at perfect temperature for 1.5 years now or buy a heater I'm not confident with yet.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:53 AM   #14
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Im not bored. Angels are sweet fishies!!
Old 05-21-2012, 06:06 AM   #15
In.a.Box
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

a sump is just a canister on it side.
In.a.Box is offline   Reply With Quote