ADA 60-H Steal! ヾ(⌒∇⌒)ノ Scaped! ヽ( ・ω・)ノ♪ Set up! Ready for plants. - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 02:29 AM   #31
youjettisonme
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
youjettisonme's Avatar
 
PTrader: (25/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA U
Posts: 686
Default

I disagree with anyone saying that those rocks are too big. Those rocks are just right. If you scape this successfully, it will be epic.
__________________
------------------------------------------

http://www.migrantworkingbee.com/aqu...dama/july2.jpg
youjettisonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-22-2012, 03:17 AM   #32
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru
 
fishykid1's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,798
Default

Hey,

Just a quick thought, is the tank already drilled? If it's not make sure you drill the right sized hole for the bulkhead... you probably know that. A 3/4" bulkhead can be from a 1"-1 3/4" hole depending on the use
fishykid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:39 AM   #33
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru
 
talontsiawd's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,298
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Default

As of right now, I actually am liking the big rocks. I have to see what you do with it to stand behind that. Not that it matters, it's your tank. I can't wait to see this.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:45 AM   #34
alfalfa
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: PNW USA
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by youjettisonme View Post
I disagree with anyone saying that those rocks are too big. Those rocks are just right. If you scape this successfully, it will be epic.
I agree. This could be a great demonstration of the perception of scale just because of the rocks. I wasn't entirely kidding about the big ADA sticker earlier. When I'm checking out photos of aquascapes, the one thing I always count on to set the scale of everything is the size of the ADA sticker relation to the size of the tank. Take it away and sometimes it is very difficult (in a good way) to tell that they aren't giant scapes.
__________________
NIKON PIMP 027
EHEIM PIMP 501
alfalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:20 AM   #35
yigitoglu
Algae Grower
 
yigitoglu's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Thailand
Posts: 38
Default

some sweet stuff going on here.
i better subscribe.
yigitoglu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #36
FlyingGiraffes
Planted Member
 
FlyingGiraffes's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
I think with the rocks will look good that big. You don't see rocks that big that often.
Thanks! I hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototyp3 View Post
I see what you're going for with the drawing, but you don't have the space to get that feel. Once you crop it down to the actual tank size (and water depth) it's going to look more like this. (attachement)

Sweet pre-vis drawing though. It's always good to have a plan!
Thanks!

Yeah, true. The giant black borders do make the scape look more cramped than it is. We'll be viewing through a rimless tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by styxx View Post
You know you mentioned the back corner triangle. That got me to thinking of some vivipara or cyprus heleferi in lieu of stem plants. They might compliment what you're currently planning...But I must agree with prototyp3, I love the drawn plan!
Thanks! ^_^

Yeah, the plant in the bg is vivipara.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youjettisonme View Post
I disagree with anyone saying that those rocks are too big. Those rocks are just right. If you scape this successfully, it will be epic.
That's the hardest part. So many people watching, pressure is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishykid1 View Post
Hey,

Just a quick thought, is the tank already drilled? If it's not make sure you drill the right sized hole for the bulkhead... you probably know that. A 3/4" bulkhead can be from a 1"-1 3/4" hole depending on the use
It is already drilled. 42mm and 29mm holes. A 1/2" bulkhead should fit the 29mm, but not sure about the 42. 1" is too big, but 3/4" might be too small. I might be in trouble. I'm going to the lfs tomorrow to see if they have bulkheads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
As of right now, I actually am liking the big rocks. I have to see what you do with it to stand behind that. Not that it matters, it's your tank. I can't wait to see this.
Thanks! I know, I don't want to disappoint. Trust me, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfalfa View Post
I agree. This could be a great demonstration of the perception of scale just because of the rocks. I wasn't entirely kidding about the big ADA sticker earlier. When I'm checking out photos of aquascapes, the one thing I always count on to set the scale of everything is the size of the ADA sticker relation to the size of the tank. Take it away and sometimes it is very difficult (in a good way) to tell that they aren't giant scapes.
I really like plays on perspective.

Very, true. That's what I'm using when looking through Amano's photobook. Sometimes it's hard to tell. Most of the time though, by looking at species of plants (gauging by leaf size) I'm able to guess the size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yigitoglu View Post
some sweet stuff going on here.
i better subscribe.
Thanks.

Awesome, an international visitor. Welcome!
FlyingGiraffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #37
FlyingGiraffes
Planted Member
 
FlyingGiraffes's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 217
Default

Second drawing is done! Click to view larger! Not sure if I'll be doing anymore. I guess it partially depends on how you guys like it. I'm pretty happy with it, but you can always improve. Or I might have some stroke of genius, LOL.

Well, here it is:



Here are the plants labelled. As well as some artsy fartsy stuff going on in the right corner. Fooled around with naming the scape. I've never done it before so I did as a break from scribbling. I'm so deep - pretty lame, LOL.

FlyingGiraffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #38
yigitoglu
Algae Grower
 
yigitoglu's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Thailand
Posts: 38
Default

thanks
yigitoglu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #39
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru
 
fishykid1's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,798
Default

Alright Giraffes, according to this post on another forum the hole sizes are as follows for 'standard' bulkheads. He found it on the Glass holes site...
Quote:
1/2” ABS Bulkhead - 27mm/1.06 (Installation Hole Size) 1 1/4"
3/4” ABS Bulkhead - 34mm/1.33" (Installation Hole Size) 1 3/8"
1” ABS Bulkhead - 42mm/1.65" (Installation Hole Size) 1 3/4"
1 1/2” ABS Bulkhead - 59mm/2.32" (Installation Hole Size) 2 3/8"
2” ABS Bulkhead - 72mm/2.83" (Installation Hole Size) 3"


3/4” SCH 80 Bulkhead - 41mm/1.61" (Installation hole size) 1 3/4"
1” SCH 80 Bulkhead - 48mm/1.88" (Installation hole size) 2"
1.5” SCH 80 Bulkhead - 64mm/2.51" (Installation hole size) 2 5/8"
2” SCH 80 Bulkhead - 81mm/3.18" (Installation hole size) 3 1/4
fishykid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #40
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru
 
fishykid1's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,798
Default

Alright Giraffes, according to this post on another forum the hole sizes are as follows for 'standard' bulkheads. He found it on the Glass holes site...
Quote:
1/2 ABS Bulkhead - 27mm/1.06 (Installation Hole Size) 1 1/4"
3/4 ABS Bulkhead - 34mm/1.33" (Installation Hole Size) 1 3/8"
1 ABS Bulkhead - 42mm/1.65" (Installation Hole Size) 1 3/4"
1 1/2 ABS Bulkhead - 59mm/2.32" (Installation Hole Size) 2 3/8"
2 ABS Bulkhead - 72mm/2.83" (Installation Hole Size) 3"


3/4 SCH 80 Bulkhead - 41mm/1.61" (Installation hole size) 1 3/4"
1 SCH 80 Bulkhead - 48mm/1.88" (Installation hole size) 2"
1.5 SCH 80 Bulkhead - 64mm/2.51" (Installation hole size) 2 5/8"
2 SCH 80 Bulkhead - 81mm/3.18" (Installation hole size) 3 1/4
fishykid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #41
hidefguy
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by youjettisonme View Post
I disagree with anyone saying that those rocks are too big. Those rocks are just right. If you scape this successfully, it will be epic.
I agree, if you haven't had a chance check out youjettisonme's scape it's one of the nicest Ive seen on the TPT and he has some massive rocks.
hidefguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:59 AM   #42
FlyingGiraffes
Planted Member
 
FlyingGiraffes's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishykid1 View Post
Alright Giraffes, according to this post on another forum the hole sizes are as follows for 'standard' bulkheads. He found it on the Glass holes site...
Yeah I wasn't sure if the 3/4" would work but it should be fine. Went to the lfs today and got a 3/4" they were out of 1/2" bulkheads. Seems like the 3/4" seals it fine. We'll see when I fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefguy View Post
I agree, if you haven't had a chance check out youjettisonme's scape it's one of the nicest Ive seen on the TPT and he has some massive rocks.
Yep, I'm in sfbaaps too. His tank is awesome.
FlyingGiraffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:01 AM   #43
FlyingGiraffes
Planted Member
 
FlyingGiraffes's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 217
Default

Small update!

I ordered the rest of my plumbing today. For some reason my bulbs still haven't shipped. They were ordered Sunday. Going to call tomorrow in the afternoon if they still haven't shipped.

Removed most of the aquasoil, this also shows the rocks better:



Filled the bottom with crushed lava rock, and covered again:

FlyingGiraffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:06 AM   #44
Mr. Fish
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Mr. Fish's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pomona,CA
Posts: 386
Default

Interested to see where this goes... Keep us updated!
__________________
Mr. Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:57 AM   #45
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
theblondskeleton's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA, USA
Posts: 545
Default

This looks awesome I love bold choices. Keep the planting simple for contrast. With a big statement piece like those rocks, you don't want to muddle it with too many different plants- iit will only make the space feel cluttered. You can totally do that tank with those rocks just my $.02.
theblondskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012