Anubias Anyone? - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania

Old 06-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #46
joon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to joon

should i visit steve today or tomorrow idk...........................
joon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #47
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joon View Post
should i visit steve today or tomorrow idk...........................
I got your stuff all bagged up Jimmy. You can swing by today if ya want. I'll give ya Bill's stuff too if he doesn't mind. You can check out those light fixture's if ya want.

I'm literally in the process of scaping my 75 with all the pieces of driftwood. Wish I had more to work with haha. I also need someone else's opinion on how things look.

Anyway...Jimmy give me a call on my cell because I won't be by the computer. It's about a 20-25 minute ride from your place. If my Dad is sleeping I'll just hand you the bags outside, but if everyone's still awake then you're more than welcome to come inside and check out my messy basement fish room.
KingPlakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #48
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPlakat View Post
I also need someone else's opinion on how things look.
pics man!! we all know you have a camera on that cell phone.....no excuses...lol
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:44 AM   #49
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
pics man!! we all know you have a camera on that cell phone.....no excuses...lol
I'm lazy...plus I lost/gotta find the cord that connects my phone to my computer. Unless you want me to picture text you...then we can do that haha
Old 06-14-2012, 01:57 AM   #50
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

send me a picture text. if it's a smartphone, get the photobucket app. works like a charm.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:08 AM   #51
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
send me a picture text. if it's a smartphone, get the photobucket app. works like a charm.
I took the time to look for the cord and found it. Uploading now.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:18 AM   #52
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My favorite pleco
Old 06-14-2012, 02:33 AM   #53
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is the 3rd time I've moved the pieces around. You can really only see the 2 large pieces but I got 3 other smaller pieces in there. The piece of the left is a long, thick, flat piece with a spike on top. That will be absolutely covered in anubias. I plan to tie java ferns on other pieces of driftwood in the lower left front and in the middle behind the base of the large piece. That will sort of create a nice sweeping motion to the right and be the main centerpiece and framed with java ferns. Then the large piece on the right you see is what I had in my 30 gallon tank. It creates a cave underneath of it and have shelfs to plant anubias on as well. When it's planted it will basically just look like a mound of anubias with a cave underneath. I have a piece of mopani in the very right back corner which I got from Bill and I want to use that to frame the "mount" with some of the more spear shaped long leaved anubias. Then I'll likely carpet the front left with more anubias nana and basically fill in the back and sides as much as possible. I want the middle to be left pretty open. Not sure if I want substrate in there. I think if I put the black blasting grit in there it will make the green "pop" more in the anubias, but at the same time I almost feel like it will get kicked around too much by the pleco and end up giving me sand all over the low laying plants. Let me know what you think!
Old 06-14-2012, 02:38 AM   #54
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My first thought was to take that large piece on the left and flip it so it created an arch and the spike went straight up, but it didn't use enough vertical space that I was really looking for. I then thought....I could stack pieces of slate to give me more heigh and place that long piece on top creating a bridge between the two stacks, but when I did it the slate looked too square and unnatural so I just pulled it out. I had pleco caves under the slate too because this 75 is home to my brown bristlenose pair.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:39 AM   #55
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

i really like the placement since you described the plan for the plants. this is for breeding right? if that's the tanks purpose, i think no sub is the way to go. i have to massive pieces of slate from a water damaged pool table that i can probably break pieces off if you want something flat to tie plants on for the foreground and background.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:40 AM   #56
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Water is tea colored from the wood. I plan to put some carbon in the AC110 I have running to clear the water up so the water is nice and clear for viewing the anubias.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:40 AM   #57
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPlakat View Post
My first thought was to take that large piece on the left and flip it so it created an arch and the spike went straight up, but it didn't use enough vertical space that I was really looking for. I then thought....I could stack pieces of slate to give me more heigh and place that long piece on top creating a bridge between the two stacks, but when I did it the slate looked too square and unnatural so I just pulled it out. I had pleco caves under the slate too because this 75 is home to my brown bristlenose pair.
hahaha...saw this pop up as i posted my reply. definitely no substrate and i see you have slate...lol
Old 06-14-2012, 02:47 AM   #58
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
i really like the placement since you described the plan for the plants. this is for breeding right? if that's the tanks purpose, i think no sub is the way to go. i have to massive pieces of slate from a water damaged pool table that i can probably break pieces off if you want something flat to tie plants on for the foreground and background.
Yea...I wanted the tank to be for breeding my bristlenose, but I'm still up in the air right now lol I'm just scared after I tie down all the anubias my pleco's will tear everything off because they get rough sometimes. I've looked online as well about pleco's rasping the leaves of anubias and everyone said anubias is very hardy and blah blah blah but I'm still scared constant rasping might damage some of the anubias. I'll likely put the pair into a 20 L until the anubias gets a firm grap on the wood and then add them back into the tank. Or maybe I'll just risk it and see what happens haha.

I would have to take a look at the slate. I have a few flat pieces no more than 1/2 inch thick and I like the color on them. It's a dark grey, not blue like PA slate. I was considering just laying them on the tank bottom to make it look more natural, but i dunno...I don't have enough and I don't know if it's gonna look sloppy.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:51 AM   #59
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

The stuff i have is dark grey as well. It's italian slate. A bit pricey for throwing into a fish tank, but what else am i gonna do with it? Lol
Old 06-14-2012, 03:00 AM   #60
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Italian slate eh? I'm german and irish...wouldn't know anything about that haha. But Bill...that large piece on the right has a flat section on the back where it was cut and I was messing around with pushing the flat part up against the back of the tank and it creates a bunch of shelves coming out at you. Only problem is I would need to secure it to the glass somehow to keep it elevated directed in the middle. I likely won't do that haha Just saying...might have been cool.

The rocks I have that I'll be tieing anubias to for the from and side are round flat river stones. They're a very dark grey almost black color. They have them sometimes at fish stores and stuff and I like the idea of just laying a bunch of them on the bottom so it looks like a river bottom, but they're kinda expensive when you buy them by the pound and ultimately it would trap crap in between the rocks and stuff and there would also be a possibility that fish could get stuck between moving rocks from the pleco's.