High light
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 05-19-2005, 08:34 AM   #1
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

High light

What would ya'll consider to be high light for a 37 gallon. I currently have 120watts over my tank giving me 3.24 wpg. I would like to have high enough light to make red plants really red. I was thinking of yanking the light out of my light fixtures and adding another ah supply kit with a 55 watt 9325kGE into a canopy. I just bought a pressurized co2 system and the lighting will be the next upgrade followed by a canister filter with all the goodies.
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2005, 12:52 PM   #2
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

You are pretty close to high light now. It's not just the light that makes red plants red.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Light is a good thing, but many plants won't turn very red unless you have low nitrates, and are keeping iron levels up. It varies a lot from species to species, but those are the two general 'red plant pointers'.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2005, 01:02 PM   #4
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

Alright, I just ordered a ah supply fixture and a 55watt 9325K bulb. This will give me 4.33 wpg. That should help..... ya think???
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:49 PM   #5
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

Man, installation was a snap! Very easily done, well except for driving screws without a drill through the reflector and plastic light fixture. The wiring on my fixture could be cleaned up, but I want to save the extra length on the cords for when it gets moved into a canopy or hanging fixture.
Filstar pimp #53

Old 05-25-2005, 08:58 PM   #6
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

Oh and I didn't install a switch, does that mean when it's plugged it's on?
Filstar pimp #53

Old 05-26-2005, 06:52 AM   #7
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Yeah, plug and play, or pull it out and off. Someday I'll put a switch on mine. Then again, my timer has a switch, so why bother. FWIW, I keep a GFI (ground fault circuit) on all the AC inputs near any tank I have. Just to be safe. bob

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Betowess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2005, 01:19 PM   #8
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

My bulb should arrive today can't wait to seeee it.
Filstar pimp #53

Old 05-26-2005, 10:10 PM   #9
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

Man they weren't kidding wehen they said bright kit. I still might use the extra 40 watts eventually but put them of a separate timer to come on for 4-6 hours a day.
Filstar pimp #53

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.