ADA 90P Iwugami (56K Warning) Updated 5/16/2013 - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #76
styxx
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx
Thumbs up

ADA 90P Iwugami (56K Warning) Updated 5/16/2013

So I just placed another large Seiryu stone (Thanks PC1) in the tank to balance the left side and I've planted some more L. Repens in the hope that my crack fiend Amanos won't eat it all. Taking advice from Tom Barr, I've bought his food which apparently does the trick for these hungry b*stards: Ken's Premium Spirulina Sticks. We'll see how they like them...so with out much further ado, here you go (sorry in advance for the crappy iPhone pics):

I'm strongly considering replacing that front rock with another, before the L. mauritiana starts to really carpet and cover everything up. I've done a little trim of the tips but not much else. I still have some planting to do on this left hand side, but soon everything will be done and I'll just have to sit back and wait for it to take off.

And finally the L. Repens returns (Thanks again Tom!):

styxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #77
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblondskeleton View Post
Nice the lilaeopsis will likely do little for the first month or so, but it will fill in pretty well after that.

Pull the trigger already! It'll look great!
Yeah, but it sure is taking its sweet damn time. If memory serves me, I recall it being a few months before noticing it spreading like wildfire, so we'll see how things are by the beginning of November. After that, I'm going to reassess my foreground plan.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #78
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

Are you going to use the micro sword to carpet?

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:29 AM   #79
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
Are you going to use the micro sword to carpet?
I'm going to try! But it sure is taking its sweet time... I hope that eventually it will look like this:

Last edited by styxx; 09-09-2012 at 03:31 AM.. Reason: Correction
Old 09-09-2012, 04:55 AM   #80
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (117/100%)

The microsword will spread quicker if you split those clumps into even smaller pieces and spread them out.

Centromochlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:03 AM   #81
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
The microsword will spread quicker if you split those clumps into even smaller pieces and spread them out.
You know I thought about doing that and in some respects I actually have spread them out (compared to what they where like in their pots). But I'm patient enough to wait it out I think...I just wish they would get going and I saw a hint of growth. It's a strange plant in that it will neither die nor grow until its good and ready, unlike HC which will make steady and observable growth or just die, lol.

Last edited by styxx; 09-10-2012 at 05:04 AM.. Reason: *
Old 09-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #82
Uptown193
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by styxx View Post
You know I thought about doing that and in some respects I actually have spread them out (compared to what they where like in their pots). But I'm patient enough to wait it out I think...I just wish they would get going and I saw a hint of growth. It's a strange plant in that it will neither die nor grow until its good and ready, unlike HC which will make steady and observable growth or just die, lol.
I have to say that my Belem HG took and is still taking its sweet time to really grow in thick and full. I think I have had mine for about 10 months give or take a month or 2 and it just recently filled in except where I had a sand path in the middle of my tank which I recently planted some Belem there a couple of months ago. So just keep using your Fertz and like your said you are "be patient". Some of it may even start to turn a little yellow but that will changed eventually. Watching grass grow is like watching oil paint dry but 50x longer. Maybe we should start using that analogy rather then the latter. As always Happy Fish-Scaping.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:13 AM   #83
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown193 View Post
I have to say that my Belem HG took and is still taking its sweet time to really grow in thick and full. I think I have had mine for about 10 months give or take a month or 2 and it just recently filled in except where I had a sand path in the middle of my tank which I recently planted some Belem there a couple of months ago. So just keep using your Fertz and like your said you are "be patient". Some of it may even start to turn a little yellow but that will changed eventually. Watching grass grow is like watching oil paint dry but 50x longer. Maybe we should start using that analogy rather then the latter. As always Happy Fish-Scaping.
Yeah, it's going through some algae phase right now...I think I'm going to add some more plants in the mean time since who knows when it will get itself in the mood, lol. It literally is like watching grass grow isn't it, lol!?
Old 09-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #84
Uptown193
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Yeah, it's going through some algae phase right now...I think I'm going to add some more plants in the mean time since who knows when it will get itself in the mood, lol. It literally is like watching grass grow isn't it, lol!?
You can always just spread out what you have now so it will look more full. You have some nice clumps there that look like can be spread out or you can always buy some more grass since I dont think this type of grass is expensive, if you know what I mean

How many Amano/Japonica shrimps do you have in your tank? You should have at least 12. They are awesome algae work horses.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #85
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

Quote:
thats kinda what i like about lileopsis sp. you can abuse and neglect it til you actually need it. and then plant it.
once planted it goes through a few weeks of nogrowth or slow growth. but once it starts growing, it really starts growing.
i had a scape with l. mauritiana and for the first month it just sat there doing nothing. but 6 monthes later i was trimming out runners invading into my foreground weekly, and totally gave up on keeping it out of my background (i used it as a midground plant).
Old 09-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #86
IggyEGuana
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

where did you get your Vallisneria nana?
IggyEGuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #87
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown193 View Post
You can always just spread out what you have now so it will look more full. You have some nice clumps there that look like can be spread out or you can always buy some more grass since I dont think this type of grass is expensive, if you know what I mean

How many Amano/Japonica shrimps do you have in your tank? You should have at least 12. They are awesome algae work horses.
Nick,
I'm not sure, but I think I have around 8. They are really great work horses and it seems like they're molting all the d*mn time, so I guess they're happy, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
thats kinda what i like about lileopsis sp. you can abuse and neglect it til you actually need it. and then plant it.
once planted it goes through a few weeks of nogrowth or slow growth. but once it starts growing, it really starts growing.
i had a scape with l. mauritiana and for the first month it just sat there doing nothing. but 6 monthes later i was trimming out runners invading into my foreground weekly, and totally gave up on keeping it out of my background (i used it as a midground plant).
marko,
I know, that's basically where I'm at right now! I keep waking up and telling myself, "just wait, just wait", lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyEGuana View Post
where did you get your Vallisneria nana?
IggyEGuana,
I got my Val. Nana from a friend, but if you're looking try the Trade forum. I'm sure someone has to have it, since it seems to be growing in popularity. I was initially going to use C. Heleferi until I found it and I switched.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:49 AM   #88
IggyEGuana
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

thx
IggyEGuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:07 AM   #89
styxx
Wannabe Guru

No problem.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #90
Uptown193
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Nick,
I'm not sure, but I think I have around 8. They are really great work horses and it seems like they're molting all the d*mn time, so I guess they're happy, lol.
Who is Nick? My name is Rich, lol...

Only 8? that is only good for a 10-20 gallon, you need at least 20. I would put 5 for every 10 gallons. Come on "Bob"...

Tags
90p, ada, ada or die, aqua forest, grobeam 1000