ADA 90P Iwugami (56K Warning) Updated 5/16/2013 - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #46
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Styxx, how is the E. Hydropiper doing? I am hoping its surviving that is such a great looking plant and not to mention as expensive as Russian caviar
fplata is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #47
styxx
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx
Angry Aaggghhh!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fplata View Post
Styxx, how is the E. Hydropiper doing? I am hoping its surviving that is such a great looking plant and not to mention as expensive as Russian caviar
It all died and yes, it was expensive as Russian caviar. I'm SO pissed. But what can you do but move on right? I'm going to buy some more plants today or tomorrow. Pics next week! I know everyone wants to see photos, but I have to borrow my friends camera since I like use decent equipment when I'm working on the tank. Call me an elitist if you want, lol.
styxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #48
gomesj
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Honestly, I'm glad you are changing the aquascape to iwugami style. The driftwood did not have enough character in my opinion, and with all that stone, you should be able to create a nice arrangement. It's always better to have more hardscape material than you actually need to allow you to make more appealing adjustments and fine tuning. Subscribed.
gomesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:57 PM   #49
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Thumbs up Iwugami

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomesj View Post
Honestly, I'm glad you are changing the aquascape to iwugami style. The driftwood did not have enough character in my opinion, and with all that stone, you should be able to create a nice arrangement. It's always better to have more hardscape material than you actually need to allow you to make more appealing adjustments and fine tuning. Subscribed.
Well, thanks! I have done some rearranging and more plants from (sexy) Gordon and Tom Barr have arrived. Postponed planting my foreground and I'm waiting on the Val. Nana and a bunch of Amano shrimp to deal with an algae breakout at the moment. Will keep you all posted.

Last edited by styxx; 08-06-2012 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: Update
Old 08-17-2012, 04:03 AM   #50
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Red face Amano Shrimp Madness

A few updated pics...the Amanos are eating algae like crack fiends!! I put them into the tank yesterday and already one has molted. As you can see my Anubias nana and pettites have gotten themselves firmly attached to my stone and the Stauro Repens is finally starting to grow better now that the algae outbreak has been cleared up.

Here is the right side of the tank as it stands right now. Note that my foreground hasn't arrived yet, but the lileopsis M. is on its way...please excuse the microbubbles.

A quick shot of the Stauro Repens. It's not in the best of shape but is slowly improving. The algae outbreak was a real b*tch, and it suffered pretty badly. As you can see the Amanos are clearing things up quickly, lol.

A close up of these little hungry devils!

A special thanks goes out to msjinkzd for these healthy and voracious little monsters.

As you can see here, the anubias is really growing exceptionally well, putting out new leaves and not really collecting any algae to speak of, which is rare in my experience for this plants.

And finally the FTS. I have decided to buy myself the a second tile, just in case I decide to go for HC. I probably could get away with one, and reposition it but more light is usually better in terms of plant flexibility. Of course you might be wondering what the hell has this man been doing all summer!? Well as a Ph.D. Fellow, the answer is - a lot of research. I haven't had much time for the tank at all unfortunately. But in a week or two things should really take off. Stay tuned!

Old 08-17-2012, 04:17 AM   #51
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Ph.d ...wow! Are you a scientist? Well I can certainly relate to not having any time. I went from being laid off,, to working 7 days a week. And I just worked 2 days of double shifts. 8-12am! Super tired. Zero time for anything let alone my tanks.

Your tank is looking good. You'll beat that algae soon enough. You, of all people, know how to! Haha. That's funny you chose L. Murtiania. (sp?) I have some growing emeresed. Some
Of died off tho planning on adding whatever I can salvage once I set up my new light and co2. ... Which I haven't yet even though I have everything.
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #52
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
Ph.d ...wow! Are you a scientist? Well I can certainly relate to not having any time. I went from being laid off,, to working 7 days a week. And I just worked 2 days of double shifts. 8-12am! Super tired. Zero time for anything let alone my tanks.

Your tank is looking good. You'll beat that algae soon enough. You, of all people, know how to! Haha. That's funny you chose L. Murtiania. (sp?) I have some growing emeresed. Some
Of died off tho planning on adding whatever I can salvage once I set up my new light and co2. ... Which I haven't yet even though I have everything.
No I'm not a scientist, but rather I teach at Washington State University, so I'm an academic. Yes, I've really neglected this aquarium despite my "free" time during the summer when not teaching, because I usually commit to doing much of my research then...of course you should be happy to be working, I know that I am! Hang in there, we'll both get through this eventually, lol.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #53
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by styxx View Post
No I'm not a scientist, but rather I teach at Washington State University, so I'm an academic. Yes, I've really neglected this aquarium despite my "free" time during the summer when not teaching, because I usually commit to doing much of my research then...of course you should be happy to be working, I know that I am! Hang in there, we'll both get through this eventually, lol.
Ah. A teacher! Yes. That would make more sense. Sorry. I'm a little bit overworked! Lol....
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #54
styxx
Wannabe Guru

@ ffrok, I understand.

Well I got some Val. Nana in and decided to buy some more so that is on the way, as is the lileopsis M. from Gordon Richards. Once planted I'll post another FTS. Sadly, once some of the Amanos eat their way full, a few have died off, but the rest appear to be healthy enough. I'm going to buy some algae wafers to tide them over. The fall semester has begun and I've got to go teach today, so that's about as much update as I can provide. More to come this weekend.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #55
pandacory
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Any stand pics?

I am interested to know how tall of a stand you are running to use the g6 and hydor Inline. Also, how far below the top of the stand do you have the filter tube holes drilled?
pandacory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #56
Algae Beater
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

come on up to vancouver I'll hook you up with all the hydropiper you need!

wonderful tank BTW
Algae Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:31 AM   #57
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algae Beater View Post
come on up to vancouver I'll hook you up with all the hydropiper you need!

wonderful tank BTW
Don't tease me like that Algae Beater, because you know I'll do it! Can you send me some pics, pretty please!?!
Old 08-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #58
Uptown193
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Hey I searched and I have found your build thread. I felt bad that you posted on mine and not post on yours. Well here I am and I am pretty impressed with your tank. Love the G6. I do not know why you would be having problems cleaning it, my G3 is a gem so far and its been a year. I just need to order a new filter which I might do right after I type this post. I do not want to tell you the amount of money I spent on plants and for them to die off. It is like flushing cash down the toilet. Very upsetting. But that was back when I had collectoritis, now I stick with what I know will grow in my tank without to much work. Trial and error my friend. What made you purchase the Do Aqua pipes over the ADA pipes other than the price tag? I think your big tank will flow better with the pipes I have from ADA and mine would be better with yours since i have the 60P. Anyway I wrote enough for my first post. Lets get some fish in that tank and you should buy some of my Red plants for your tank It would look nice. :-)

(Disregard any typos, I did not proofread. I know your a professor, I got reamed enough in my college days :-))
Old 08-24-2012, 12:34 AM   #59
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Thumbs up Thanks for the Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown193 View Post
Hey I searched and I have found your build thread. I felt bad that you posted on mine and not post on yours. Well here I am and I am pretty impressed with your tank. Love the G6. I do not know why you would be having problems cleaning it, my G3 is a gem so far and its been a year. I just need to order a new filter which I might do right after I type this post. I do not want to tell you the amount of money I spent on plants and for them to die off. It is like flushing cash down the toilet. Very upsetting. But that was back when I had collectoritis, now I stick with what I know will grow in my tank without to much work. Trial and error my friend. What made you purchase the Do Aqua pipes over the ADA pipes other than the price tag? I think your big tank will flow better with the pipes I have from ADA and mine would be better with yours since i have the 60P. Anyway I wrote enough for my first post. Lets get some fish in that tank and you should buy some of my Red plants for your tank It would look nice. :-)

(Disregard any typos, I did not proofread. I know your a professor, I got reamed enough in my college days :-))
Don't get me wrong, the G6 is very nice. I love it, but I don't like all the damn warning notices on the LCD screen. They're irritating me to no end. Aso for the lily pipe selection, it was just price. I've had the ADA ones previously and comparing the two, I don't see much of a difference except in design - the build quality is essentially the same IMO. Oh don't worry about the typos, unless you're turning this in for a grade. Fish will come soon, I just want to get the rest of the foreground in first and then come my fish friends!

Last edited by styxx; 08-24-2012 at 12:35 AM.. Reason: syntax
Old 08-24-2012, 03:51 AM   #60
Uptown193
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by styxx View Post
Don't get me wrong, the G6 is very nice. I love it, but I don't like all the damn warning notices on the LCD screen. They're irritating me to no end. Aso for the lily pipe selection, it was just price. I've had the ADA ones previously and comparing the two, I don't see much of a difference except in design - the build quality is essentially the same IMO. Oh don't worry about the typos, unless you're turning this in for a grade. Fish will come soon, I just want to get the rest of the foreground in first and then come my fish friends!
Oh yea those trustly warning notices. They were great the first 3 months then after that I gave up and just turned them off. But I do love and use the digital temperature reading all the time since I have an inline heater connect to the filter. This filter was originally made for saltwater tanks that is why there is a salinity (EC US/CM) readout. That is weird that you did not notice a difference between the two pipes, were the ADA pipes you had 17mm as well?

Tags
90p, ada, ada or die, aqua forest, grobeam 1000