ADA 90P Iwugami (56K Warning) Updated 5/16/2013 - Page 14
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-25-2012, 04:05 AM   #196
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Holy cow look at that lilaeopsis! Nice job lookin great!
theblondskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #197
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to styxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgin28 View Post
Beautiful tank, nice work on challenging carpet. I did a Parva carpet that took 2 years to get it from bad to acceptable to impressive. The patience thing is hands down the toughest part of the game.

I am to planning launch either a 90p or a 75p in the not so distant future. In some of your previous posts you seem to feel that a single GRO beam 1000 did not give adequate coverage with your 90p. In your opinion would a single tile drive the slightly smaller 75p properly for "high light". I am an experienced high tech tank guy, so I'm not intimidated by "big" lights (ah, the algae wars I have fought...), but I would love to nail either of these tanks spot on with a great led system.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.
I think that to get the spread of light, it was necessary to use two tiles, as well as to have that extra amount of light just in case I needed it (for HC, Glosso, etc.) in the future. Now, given that the 75P and the 90P are both the same height that becomes an important factor when assessing PAR at the substrate level. And added to that is the fact that the 75P is 6" smaller in length, that too is another important factor when considering spread. I think one tile would be sufficient, though if you want extra light "just in case" you can always add another one, but one should be sufficient. Really I could have gotten away with one, provided that the edges on the left and right of the aquarium had slow growing, low light plants like Java ferns, etc. But I too have always been a "high light" guy and like to have that extra power. Of course these things are NOT cheap, but they more than do the job. I've reduced my lighting intensity down some after the hack job just to let the plants recover and they're observably doing quite well. So even at 50% intensity each, having two (doesn't double the intensity, as they don't overlap the way they're spaced) of them are still quite effective.

Keep in mind one important thing - LED lighting is NOT what your eyes are used to seeing. You will probably think that they're dim, until after a few days of seeing them at work and eventually your eyes will adjust and you'll realize that it is different but still "bright". And finally, a word of caution - don't let these LED fixtures fool you; you must have a reliable and constant source of CO2. The GrowBeam 1000's are unusually effective at what they do, and thus having constant CO2 saturation is really important, otherwise it will be algae hell. I've been in this hobby for a long time (almost a decade?) and I have to say that I was a hard core CFL and T8 man myself, but ever since switching to LEDs I'll never go back. Period. I hope that this helps with your decision?!?

Last edited by styxx; 12-25-2012 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!
styxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #198
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblondskeleton View Post
Holy cow look at that lilaeopsis! Nice job lookin great!
Thanks! It sure is a PITA but as you can see, it's worth it!
Old 12-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #199
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

Nice job growing that Lilaeopsis!
Quote:
Originally Posted by styxx View Post
And of course a close up of the hack job:
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:59 PM   #200
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Fantastic work Styxx!
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:29 AM   #201
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Nice job growing that Lilaeopsis!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
Fantastic work Styxx!
Well I do try! Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on some more NL Java Fern in the near future and I can completely fill in the back of the aquarium. The mid ground needs some work but it's on my January agenda.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:43 AM   #202
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

the 90p was $650 total delivered to your door?

where I live it would be about $700.

thinking about getting one :
Old 12-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #203
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
the 90p was $650 total delivered to your door?

where I live it would be about $700.

thinking about getting one :
Its a big aquarium, and heavy (you would do well to have two people to carry it as it weights over 100lbs). The construction is top notch as to be expected with all ADA products and so far I'm in love with all the space that it affords the hobbyist. Of course now I want a 120P but don't know if I'll ever be able to afford that monster, lol. Get one and you will not be disappointed!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #204
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by styxx View Post
Its a big aquarium, and heavy (you would do well to have two people to carry it as it weights over 100lbs). The construction is top notch as to be expected with all ADA products and so far I'm in love with all the space that it affords the hobbyist. Of course now I want a 120P but don't know if I'll ever be able to afford that monster, lol. Get one and you will not be disappointed!
or you could just skip those and go straight for the 180-P

the 90p overflow model is an extra $200, but for that I could get the 120p.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #205
boxhead1990
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

So honestly what are your thoughts on those led panels as I'm tossing up weather to be purchasing some of these or a radeon for the next tank

And btw tank looks awesome
boxhead1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #206
endgin28
Planted Member

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I completely agree re CO2 needs- for high light tanks it is the most critical component in the battle versus algae.
I will probably aim for the build the start in February
Old 12-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #207
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
or you could just skip those and go straight for the 180-P

the 90p overflow model is an extra $200, but for that I could get the 120p.
The only way for me to afford the 180P is if I were to sell some of my organs on the black market, lol. But one day I hope to have that beast in a room all by itself! Ahh retirement will be wonderful, lol!! I think the the overflow price, I'd opt for the 120 instead considering the price involved. I'd kill for the 120 right now (so jealous).

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead1990 View Post
So honestly what are your thoughts on those led panels as I'm tossing up weather to be purchasing some of these or a radeon for the next tank

And btw tank looks awesome
First, thanks for the compliment. Its only been up for a few months at this point, so it's still my little baby. Those EchoTech Radions are really nice, but damn they're expensive. For the price of one of them, you could get 2 of the GroBeam 1000 NDs!! Although I will say that the EchoTech pump that I have is a BOSS. It have some serious power and the fact that is has both a wet and dry side that uses magnetism to both adhere together and run the pump is truly amazing and the quality of their build is impressive. If they make their lights like they make their pumps, I can see why they charge such a premium. That said, the Radions are nice and have many features that the GroBeams do not but you have to pay "bloody nose" prices IMHO for those options, when I'm not certain its needed.

But then again, if you can afford it, why not opt for the best? I love my GroBeams and they're effective without the bells and whistles of only (1) Radion fisxture, so that's why bought these. And I don't need more fan noise which accompanies the Radions. Good luck on deciding and let me know what you've finally chosen. The Radions are future proof, so that's another important consideration; I expect my GroBeams to last me a good loooong time, but who knows what future developments will occur in LED technology?

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgin28 View Post
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I completely agree re CO2 needs- for high light tanks it is the most critical component in the battle versus algae.
I will probably aim for the build the start in February
Keep me posted and let us know when you start your thread. I can't wait to see it!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #208
boxhead1990
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah my life's only just started getting the panels in not long ago there about $180 each in comparison to 699 for the radeons

Do these panels have a controller that dims or they just on and of???

And il let you no when I get started around February
Old 12-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #209
boxhead1990
Planted Tank Obsessed

Lfs not life ..... Haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 12-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #210
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Yeah my life's only just started getting the panels in not long ago there about $180 each in comparison to 699 for the radeons

Do these panels have a controller that dims or they just on and of???

And il let you no when I get started around February
Oh wow, that's a nice price. I paid around $250 each I think! But they do not come with the multicontroller (which is worth buying, though not its price) which does allow you to connect 4 x 1000 ND tiles simultaneously, go from 1% to 100% in increments of 1, while also having an integrated timer. I'm buying one though I hate the idea of the price for doing so...

Quote:
Lfs not life ..... Haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Yep, gottcha.

Tags
90p, ada, ada or die, aqua forest, grobeam 1000