Anyone in Northern Kentucky?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Kentucky

Old 05-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
acmarauder
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Anyone in Northern Kentucky?

Hello, I'm new to the forum but have been reading for a few months now as I've grown my knowledge of planted tanks. This site has been valuable to me since there are no local shops that really deal with live plants and if they do they're unable to advise me on my setups due to complete lack of experience in planted tanks. I'm a learn by doing type person, and would like to find people in my area who are knowledgeable that wouldn't mind helping someone learn from their experience.

I've been working for almost a year on my now planted tank. I've had different plants for almost all my tank's life, and have just now began to understand what it takes to help them grow properly. I'm planning to start a 12 or 20 gallon long tank that will be dirted, and will be picking up a tank soon. I'm still doing my research before I start planning the plants and aquascape. Recently revisited the Newport Aquarium for inspiration and am itching to start my next tank.

For anyone curious, currently my setup is:
Tank - 10 Gallon (Basically all that is still being used from my Top Fin 10 kit except the heater)
Hood - Aqueon 20" Hood / Glass VersaTop
Lighting - Coralife 18" T8 15w 10,000k
Lighting Timer - 6hr Daily
Filtration - Hagen Aquaclear 20 (AC20) with Fluval Pre-Filter and sponge baffled output for the betta.
Substrate - Natural Color Aquarium Gravel
CO2 - DIY Yeast CO2 - Also have Fluval 20g kit, DIY seems to be working much better for my plants.
Nutrients Added - Seachem Flourish Comprehensive (Experimenting with standard dose - 1ml/weekly)
Plants - 1 Amazon Sword w/runners, 2 Anubias, 3 Marimo Mossballs (1 in recovery)
Fish - 1 Betta, 4 Corydoras, 1 Otocinclus

Anyone local? We frequently attend car cruise-ins in NKY and would gladly introduce you to one of the great restaurants that could also host local meet and greet or swap meets for us. I could also arrange music and maybe a giveaway prize or two from a local shop for such events.

Let's get something started... the KY Forum seems to be in hibernation.

Let's wake up the KY board!

Last edited by acmarauder; 07-19-2012 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: Updated setup information
acmarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
theremetony
Algae Grower

It is a bit far from Lexington......Although I'd really love to join such a monthly meeting if it is slightly close :-)

So far as I know, there is a very good fresh water aquarium club near Cincinnati which maintains a regular monthly meeting. Their website is gcas.org
theremetony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
acmarauder
Algae Grower

I'm right at the I71-75 Split, not far from Lexington (Walton, KY to be exact). Some of our cruise-in host and good friend who is a dj live in Dry Ridge/ Crittenden area, maybe I could arrange something half-way for Lexington / Louisville there? Anyway, just thoughts to get more local people. I don't mind the GCAS, but I read around on that site before and didn't find a lot of information as easily as on this site. I don't like stretching myself thin on these sites either. I already work on a computer all day, the last thing I want to do is sit in front of them even longer.

Anyway, do you have many planted tanks? Would be nice to find more locals to learn from. I need more plants for my tank, and will be adding a co2 kit tomorrow. Seen you had some various plants you give away. I take you know more than I do about planted tanks. Might have to head your way some time and take you up on those freebies when they're available and maybe learn a few things in the process.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:02 AM   #4
theremetony
Algae Grower

I am also a newbie in planted tank. Only got two low-tech tank, one 29 gallon hex-tall, one 26 gallon long.

I do have some extra dwarf water lettuce and maybe one anubias and some others to give away. You are always welcome to come and take a look at my tank -- it's always good to know other ppl around u who share the same hobby.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:59 AM   #5
theremetony
Algae Grower

29 gallon hex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2617.jpg (116.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 05-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
acmarauder
Algae Grower

Wow, beautiful tank. Yeah, might have to come your way soon since I will have my co2 system up and running this evening. So far even without co2 my plants are recovering fast, my anubias are growing leaves very quick. Learning quite a bit though, ready to take on something new and those dwarf water lettuce are really interesting, I think my betta would love some.

Anyway, not sure how busy my weekend will be but if you have some free time maybe Saturday or Sunday I might come down for a quick visit and pick up some of that dwl. How far are you from 41094 zip? PM me your name and number, I might give you a ring this weekend if I can make it that way.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
theremetony
Algae Grower

zip code is 40504
i am not really a big fan of plants though, I have more interest in fish :-)
pm sent
my 26 long
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5852.jpg (93.1 KB, 0 views)