Breeding CPDs in Community Tank - Advice
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 05-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
moodycm

PTrader: (0/0%)

Breeding CPDs in Community Tank - Advice

I've tried a trio in a separate breeding tank, they hide under whatever they can find and barely eat. I tried a big container with the bottom replaced with fine mesh, filled with a few plants that spread over the top of the water providing pretty decent cover, and a few big clumps of java moss on the bottom. This was placed in a slightly larger bucket so it sat a few inches off the bottom. All 12 of my CPDs were placed in here. The idea being that they would be happier in the larger numbers and would be covered from all sides so wouldn't be disturbed. I only went near them to feed them but i never saw them swimming about at all. I think they just hid away under the moss as this is where i found them when I went to fish them out to return them to mu community tank there. They've been back "home" for about an hour now and i just peaked in the room and they're all over the tank exploring, even swimming about the middle to top regions which they never usually do.

SO, I think that they are definitely only happy in the big community tank, so I think this is the only place they'll spawn. The obvious problem is, how do I rescue the eggs before they/other fish get a free meal? I've tried an egg trap with no luck. I Think because it's not ground level they just didn't fancy it. I was thinking some clumps of java moss in their favourit corner? But like I said, How do I rescue the eggs? Any Suggestions? Any other advice/tips?

Thanks in advance!
Chris
moodycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
kuro
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

My CPD will breed in any moss i put into my tank. You can remove the moss after two weeks in the DT and place it into a breeder tank and you gonna see fry in a few days. After that return the moss back into the dt after the fry have hatch and repeat this again in another two weeks.

Canon Pimp Club #038
kuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:01 AM   #3
garfieldnfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Buy as clear plastic container (Walmart etc) with a screw-on top. Place a rock inside in order for it to sink. Cut out the inside of the plastic lid and replace with craft canvas. Close lid, place inside of tank and cover with java moss. Wait 2 days, remove trap and check for eggs. Then repeat. It worked well for me lately, even so I have fish in the tank that would gobble up any eggs and fry in a heartbeat. But you have to check the trap every 2 to 3 days so the eggs do not hatch and the fry escape just to be eaten.
20g L174/L46/hastatus/pygmy corys, 10g OEBTs/RCS, 10g blue bees, 10g CRS, 15g L316/L46/L340 fry, 10g yellow rili/yellow shrimp, 15g ADFs/clown plecos, 25g L134s/CPDs/otos, 29g Weitzmani/panda corys/zebra otos, 46g CAE/L134s/CPDs/salt and pepper corys/BNs, rubberlip pleco, 55g SAEs/L201s/L199s/BNs/kissing gourami, 75g L316s/BNs/mix of old fish folk, 30g L340s/L211/black darter tetras/CPDs/micro rasboras/L340 fry,10g tangerine tiger shrimp, 20g L134/habrosus corys, 10g L340 fry
garfieldnfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
moodycm

PTrader: (0/0%)

Kuro, thanks I'll give that a try, I've got lots of Java moss so hopefully that'll work for me too!

Garfieldnfish, I've tried an egg trap but didn't have any luck. However the mesh I was using was slightly too big and I'd often find a fish had managed to get in so maybe that wasn't helping, I might modify it and stick the new fine mesh I've got on and try that too since it's working so well for you!

Thanks for the help guys!
moodycm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
celestial pearl danio, celestial pearl danios, cpd, cpds