Sage Advice for Noobie Shrimp Keepers - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 05-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #31
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey View Post
All of the shrimp Jedis have slightly different was to do it. But one thing is 100% in common, they all shoot for stable parameters. I think this one was my big lesson. To make sure my set up wouldn't be swinging parameters in any way, and that i was able to be "hands off" for the longest time without having to mess with the tank, did I get that right?

About aging tap water, in most places now days they have a mix of chlorine(evaporates) and chloride(doesn't evaporate), therefore you have to use prime anyways, right?
For aging, it does help any gases in the water to off gas. If your tap water is high in CO2, it will off gas and your pH will go up. If you tap water has no CO2, it will absorb CO2 from the atmosphere and the pH will lower and should equalize itself to what your tank roughly is pH wise.

As for your first comment,yup, there are a million different ways to do it. Keeping CRS from 5pH to 7pH, no water changes ever and only top offs vs changing 20% a week, active substrate vs gravel, sponge filters only vs UGF filter hooked up to 3 canister in a row and everything in between. What works for your shrimp, is what works. There are ideal params and they are whatever works.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #32
youjettisonme
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunsthure View Post
Can you recommend a handheld TDS monitor?

-Lisa
The blue Hanna that I show in the picture is a stellar, accurate unit. It will also properly measure your PH and temperature as well. It wasn't until I started using the temperature feature on this unit that I realized that many of my thermometers were actually wrong.

It generally comes with calibration solutions which allow you to keep it fine tuned.

http://www.migrantworkingbee.com/aqu...dama/july2.jpg
youjettisonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #33
dreamechoes
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thank you for this. I just have two Amano Shrimp right now but I love them. This was a very helpful post. Again, thank you.
- 2 Amano Shrimp
- 1 Pair of Black Phantom Tetras and 1 White cloud minnow (Rehoming)
dreamechoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #34
Kunsthure
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

How about a budget-friendly handheld meter? I've seen some with great reviews on Amazon. I never really thought about TDS as being important to FW; I always associated it with SW. Is it really a huge deal to have it under 200 if you're not keeping something difficult like BKK?

-Lisa
Old 05-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #35
youjettisonme
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
How about a budget-friendly handheld meter? I've seen some with great reviews on Amazon. I never really thought about TDS as being important to FW; I always associated it with SW. Is it really a huge deal to have it under 200 if you're not keeping something difficult like BKK?

-Lisa
From the front page: "I personally know someone who has very successfully bred CRS in 650 TDS water with a GH of 15 and a ph of 5.6 ph. She uses only tap treated with Prime. How successful? She started with 5 CRS and turned them into 70. As of today, her tank has 11 berried CRS. Why is she so successful while others have failed with "perfect" parameters? It's simple. She "keeps it simple stupid" or KISS."

A lower TDS will give you a better shot at minimizing casualties and increasing breeding. However, it is only a guideline. There are many ways to be successful.

As for the cheaper TDS meters, I obviously haven't used all of them, but several cheaper models I once owned went south on me pretty quickly. I bet there are some good exceptions. Hanna also makes a cheap, TDS only meter. Surprisingly, one of the very best TDS meters I've used is the one that comes with the Zero Water home water filter kit that you can find at any Target. It's worth buying this kit just for the free TDS meter which is stellar.

http://www.target.com/p/Zero-Water-Z...i_sku=10950410

Old 05-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #36
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I was wondering about that Zero kit, I saw it at a client's house. Knowing that you own one, is that enough for me to have that instead of a RO/DI unit?

I mostly ask this because as I share a place now, seems very difficult to get my housemates to let me install something in the kitchen sink. So I have to buy 2 or 3 refills of DI at the supermarket once a week. Not a biggie tho, but it would be helpful to not be limited by the store hours.

As for the question on TDS meters, do they need to be ATC ( automatic temperature compensation) or this just applies to ph meters?

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
pejerrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #37
speedie408
Canon Pimp #001

PTrader: (385/100%)

Sticky material here Raymond. Very nice writeup!
speedie408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #38
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
Sticky material here Raymond. Very nice writeup!
+1

Speedie! You should share your website write up for shrimp keeping basics!

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
pejerrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #39
speedie408
Canon Pimp #001

PTrader: (385/100%)

Quote:
+1

Speedie! You should share your website write up for shrimp keeping basics!
I actually got permission from Zwei to use his material on my website . Looky here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...-breeding.html
speedie408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #40
youjettisonme
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I was wondering about that Zero kit, I saw it at a client's house. Knowing that you own one, is that enough for me to have that instead of a RO/DI unit?

I mostly ask this because as I share a place now, seems very difficult to get my housemates to let me install something in the kitchen sink. So I have to buy 2 or 3 refills of DI at the supermarket once a week. Not a biggie tho, but it would be helpful to not be limited by the store hours.

As for the question on TDS meters, do they need to be ATC ( automatic temperature compensation) or this just applies to ph meters?
You don't need to actually drill into your water line to make an RO/DI unit work. They make a little adapter that attaches to your faucet that makes it super simple. Also, you can use a Zero Water filter for water changes, for sure, but it takes quite awhile to fill. You can't really just insert the hose into a bucket and come back 80 minutes later.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #41
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:

-Lisa
You can get a good TDS meter on amazon.com for ~$30. Not sure if that's budget-friendly enough for you. But it does come with ATC (automatic temperature control) and ability to be re calibrated.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #42
youjettisonme
Planted Tank Enthusiast

As you can see, I am trying to make this thread sticky-worthy. I'll keep adding when it comes to me, and of course, keep adding the further great advice that we get from the denizens of our fair shrimp community.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #43
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

The HM TDS-3 was recommended to me. It is around $30 and includes ATC. It was easy and simple to use right out of the box. I can't vouch for how long it keeps working though as I haven't used it but once or twice.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #44
youjettisonme
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have updated this thread quite a bit. If anyone else has something they think I should touch on then let me know.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #45
Jadenlea
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I have something you should add to the original page.. Since it is for newbies. I am sure this is a really stupid question but "Wth is TDS and what does it mean for a tank? and how does testing it guide us?"

I did google and I see that tds is Total dissolved solids but I couldn't really find much helpful understandable information about what it means to a tank.
Jadenlea is offline   Reply With Quote