Why why why?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-23-2014, 10:50 PM   #1
Master503
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (43/96%)
Cool

Why why why?

I am using the marina breeder box for my cbs/crs berried. A ago week I do know there are at least 10-20 babies in there, but today when I look into the breeder box, I can only see 2-3 babies left. Where are the rest? In box there are a bit of xmas moss, round pelia. I did took those plant out to small bowl and look ... But dont see any other babies ... Wither in box or small bowl. Are they all dead? Even dead you still can find their bodies?
Master503 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 10:53 PM   #2
agro
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master503 View Post
I am using the marina breeder box for my cbs/crs berried. A ago week I do know there are at least 10-20 babies in there, but today when I look into the breeder box, I can only see 2-3 babies left. Where are the rest? In box there are a bit of xmas moss, round pelia. I did took those plant out to small bowl and look ... But dont see any other babies ... Wither in box or small bowl. Are they all dead? Even dead you still can find their bodies?
Could have died and been eaten, but only if you had a decent amount of adults in the box. Also if there's too many in a small area shrimp cannibalism could have occurred.
agro is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 10:54 PM   #3
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

I'm not familiar with the marina, but where the water flows back into the tank, did you have to install a shrimplet proof mesh?

I just looked up the instructions and it explicitly states

Quote:
Depending on breeding conditions use the appropriate slit plates. Little eggs, fries or juvenile shrimps may be pumped out through separator or slit plate.
It doesn't however say you need to buy anything different for shrimplets.
jrh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 11:16 PM   #4
Master503
Planted Tank Enthusiast

In current box, 5 mama still pregnant in there. I did cut out the small sponge put into the water in and water out flow area. Ummm it possible they might been eaten ... Sad. I need to feed them more often rather feed once every other day.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:31 PM   #5
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

Understand that there is something called a 'survival rate'. For CRS/CBS don't even count the babies until they are 7-10 days old. Getting them past the first 10 days is key. Before 10 days they are just far more susceptible to death. With OEBT you need to get them past the first 3 WEEKS before you can relax. Even with perfect params and the shrimp happy as can be even the most seasoned breeders often report just 95% survival rate with CRS/CBS. Also keep in mind with each generation born into the same water, often the survival rate goes up. Say you have only 10 babies from a batch of 30 make it to adulthood. Well, the babies from those 10 babies that are hatched in the same tank may have a higher survival/success rate.

From your posts it sounds like you expect all those babies to be alive...that just simply isn't going to happen. It can, but is unlikely. Each different type of shrimp will have a different survival rate. They can always be hiding, your GH might be off for them, they can die molting (I've witnessed it, nothing wrong with the water, they are just too weak to molt), or they can be trampled accidentally, etc. Lots of reasons babies die or can't be found.
ravensgate is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 02:14 AM   #6
Master503
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for great info. But how come i dont see any dead bodies? All totally done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
Understand that there is something called a 'survival rate'. For CRS/CBS don't even count the babies until they are 7-10 days old. Getting them past the first 10 days is key. Before 10 days they are just far more susceptible to death. With OEBT you need to get them past the first 3 WEEKS before you can relax. Even with perfect params and the shrimp happy as can be even the most seasoned breeders often report just 95% survival rate with CRS/CBS. Also keep in mind with each generation born into the same water, often the survival rate goes up. Say you have only 10 babies from a batch of 30 make it to adulthood. Well, the babies from those 10 babies that are hatched in the same tank may have a higher survival/success rate.

From your posts it sounds like you expect all those babies to be alive...that just simply isn't going to happen. It can, but is unlikely. Each different type of shrimp will have a different survival rate. They can always be hiding, your GH might be off for them, they can die molting (I've witnessed it, nothing wrong with the water, they are just too weak to molt), or they can be trampled accidentally, etc. Lots of reasons babies die or can't be found.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:43 AM   #7
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

Because when they die shrimp eat them because they enjoy the source of protein. IF you don't have snails....if you have snails they will beat the shrimp to the body 9 times out of 10. If you ever watch a baby shrimp die, like actually the moment it dies...you will see it, go 'awwwww' and 5 minutes later you won't be able to find it. They are tiny and when they die they often begin to shrivel and fold into a U shape. Then they are eaten by shrimp, snails, or bacteria....if you are talking shrimp under 2 weeks old you won't see bodies unless you witness them die and wait for them to disintegrate via one method or another. Heck, even with adults if it doesn't die in the daytime (like dies right after you turn lights out) you won't see evidence of THAT either.
ravensgate is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 07:15 AM   #8
daboss808
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master503 View Post
Thanks for great info. But how come i dont see any dead bodies? All totally done?
I have done the whole breeder box thing. Very low success rate with surviving babies. I actually found that if you remove the mom or adults your more likely to get a higher survival rate rather than having them in there. Like some people here say it's a source of protien for the adults. If they can catch their babies they will eat them. I feed my shrimp once a week live brine shrimp they go crazy for these boogers! I actually seen some adults eat shrimplets if food is not around. My high grade Tibee are one of my newborns while in the breeder box. So I ditched the breeder box idea and invested into a shrimp rack. Lol
daboss808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 07:48 AM   #9
orhunterfisher
Planted Member

PTrader: (19/100%)

Honestly the best use of the Marina breeder boxes is to use them as selective breeding tanks where you choose the male and female. They are also invaluable to quarantine new shrimp that may be weak from shipping or some such stress and will molt due to new water...they often get attacked by the current shrimp in the tank. I usually always put the berried females back into the tanks for the hatching of the eggs and rearing of young. I have used them successfully to raise babies but I always take out all adults AND place a small desktop lamp with a good 13w or 15w CFL in 6500K or 10000K on the same timer as the lights. This with some moss and a few small bits of IA leaves makes a LOAD of biofilm. AGAIN CAUTION TO ALWAYS MAKE SURE tank water level stays topped off and the flow through the box is correct.
orhunterfisher is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.