Snake Vivariums
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 05-15-2012, 04:14 AM   #1
Shimagoma
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Shimagoma Send a message via Skype™ to Shimagoma

Snake Vivariums

Not too much live stuff in here, other than the snakes of course. I'm oh so tempted to get another rack set up and get some more arboreal snakes and do some actual plants. Too many of the ground snakes like to tear up the dirt and more...

this is more my thing.. im still learning with the aquarium dealio

And my roach cage, just two males (though one passed away recently, it will prolly go to something else sooner or later...)

love this guy but... 5 months of no eating who knows whats up..

and a new boa
Shimagoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 01:10 AM   #2
nathanAcs
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

the snakes look very nice! i really want a pet snake!
nathanAcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:19 AM   #3
tharsis
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Nice! That rack is really cool...You have bookshelves with cute stuffed animals and then a huge rack of snakes, I like the contrast haha. The enclosure for cockroach is really cool too, good looking roaches you have, nice and plump! I got some hissing cockroaches for my daughter and she loves them...they are really cool.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:20 AM   #4
Chrisinator
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Very nice!
Chrisinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:07 AM   #5
Shimagoma
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharsis View Post
Nice! That rack is really cool...You have bookshelves with cute stuffed animals and then a huge rack of snakes, I like the contrast haha. The enclosure for cockroach is really cool too, good looking roaches you have, nice and plump! I got some hissing cockroaches for my daughter and she loves them...they are really cool.

Ah thats so great! It makes me happy to see more girls into bugs! Ive been collecting dried ones on my own for years.

hooray bugs!
Old 05-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

Nice setups!

I have wondered about keeping snakes in planted vivs too. One good species possibility is the NA native rough green snake (Opheodrys aestivus) which is a smallish animal and a true arboreal. I understand that they are not very hardy in captivity, but captive-born specimens do better.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
nathanAcs
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

i really like the first skane on there. the one that hasent been eating. what species is it?
nathanAcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
EntoCraig
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Awesome! What kind of roaches are those? They look too large to be dubia.
EntoCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

Those roaches are some kind of hisser.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #10
Shimagoma
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntoCraig View Post
Awesome! What kind of roaches are those? They look too large to be dubia.
Giant hissers! I ordered them from a guy who bred solid black ones! I need to get a bigger group of tigers one day!

Quote:
Nice setups!

I have wondered about keeping snakes in planted vivs too. One good species possibility is the NA native rough green snake (Opheodrys aestivus) which is a smallish animal and a true arboreal. I understand that they are not very hardy in captivity, but captive-born specimens do better.
Oh but yeah it would look so good! Planted tanks for snakes are hard because if they arnt exclusively arboreal they just tear everything up! I had to bolt down water bowls at one point for a few snakes haha!

Quote:
i really like the first skane on there. the one that hasent been eating. what species is it?
thanks! Its a Kunashir island japanese rat snake. Its the only species of snake that has a natural albino population! They tend to be ready eaters, but this guy is just a jerk sometimes :P thankfully snakes can go a very very long time without eating...
Old 05-20-2012, 04:03 AM   #11
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

-I have seen your art around..its absolutely gorgeous

-Love the rack..did you build it? I'm guessing the largest one is for the boa, will you upgrade that once its fully grown?

-I have the same petco thing you keep the roach in ..with the same exact fake plant haha. There is a gecko in there instead.
VivaDaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #12
Shimagoma
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaDaWolf View Post
-I have seen your art around..its absolutely gorgeous

-Love the rack..did you build it? I'm guessing the largest one is for the boa, will you upgrade that once its fully grown?

-I have the same petco thing you keep the roach in ..with the same exact fake plant haha. There is a gecko in there instead.
Hahah! thanks! I was actually wondering if it would be big enough for a crestie! hmmmm! I really want one but im looking for more small space desk type pets (sense my job allows them

The rack I ordered from Constrictors NW. The guy is awesome and Im tempted to get a second rack but a few talls and some smaller ones so i can have a whole wall of snakes the ease of care really gets me into them. and honestly ive only had one bad apple snake, and shes not that hard to deal with, you just dont handle her as much haha!

the larger viv is for the asian rat snake, he needs a lot of room to cruise and is very very long. the one below it is for the boa. The cages are actually full size for the adult length, hes a hog male so he will be a bit smaller, but the cages are also two feet deep and three feet wide, they do a good job of not looking as big as they really are but should be fine for him, and are twice the size for the corn snakes haha

also, have some more pics, i love my babies, and once it gets a little warmer out im sure it will be picture time again

and of course my dog lol cant forget her :P

Old 05-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #13
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I've got an anery corn too! So lovely. Hard to get a sense of how big those racks are..comparable to the footprint of a 40breeder? Is a hog good for that size? Great photos.

Adult crestie would be too big for that plastic viv, but perfect for subadults I think
VivaDaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #14
jreich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

My tank looks pitiful next to ur beautiful rack system going on there. I love how it looks as if it belongs in that room.
Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2
jreich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #15
Shimagoma
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaDaWolf View Post
I've got an anery corn too! So lovely. Hard to get a sense of how big those racks are..comparable to the footprint of a 40breeder? Is a hog good for that size? Great photos.

Adult crestie would be too big for that plastic viv, but perfect for subadults I think
Ah yeah just as i though! Though with fish now im sure ill have enough projects to keep me busy for a while hah!

For a male hog being reasonably fed a 3x2 is a good size at just under 45gallons if it was female id prolly go up a foot but i prefer a slightly more manageable size set up and collection, i dont think i could get too many snakes much over the 6 foot mark hah, seeing as my bf is pretty terrified of the snakes regardless of how little they actually bite.

im so happy there are more snake lovers <3 i always try to get mine out to show off and let people see how cool and natural they are!