How many people havethe Finnex Fugeray 12" fixture? Opinions?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 05-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
slavecorps
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

How many people havethe Finnex Fugeray 12" fixture? Opinions?

Hi,
I just ordered the Finnex Fugeray 12" fixture, I figured I couldnt go wrong from the descriptions given by samamorgan and Lowe and $39 shipped. I was just wondering who else on the forum had one of these fixtures and what your opinions were of it. I will be putting this over an ADA 30c. I understand the fixture will put out sufficient light for low/medium light plants which is what I am looking for. I was using a DIY 2 x 26w cfl hanging fixture previously that only encouraged me to cram way too much stuff into a 12" cube. I am hoping that this fixture will help me to focus on my next scape which will be primarily red lava rock, moss, java fern, and possibly bolbitis if I can find some for a reasonable price. I have a CO2 setup, but I don't plan on using it for the next scape, possibly just an occasional dosing of excel. If anyone has experience with this light fixture please let me know if it will be sufficient for this plan and let me know your experience with the fixture.
Thanks!
slavecorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
Lludu
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavecorps View Post
Hi,
I just ordered the Finnex Fugeray 12" fixture, I figured I couldnt go wrong from the descriptions given by samamorgan and Lowe and $39 shipped. I was just wondering who else on the forum had one of these fixtures and what your opinions were of it. I will be putting this over an ADA 30c. I understand the fixture will put out sufficient light for low/medium light plants which is what I am looking for. I was using a DIY 2 x 26w cfl hanging fixture previously that only encouraged me to cram way too much stuff into a 12" cube. I am hoping that this fixture will help me to focus on my next scape which will be primarily red lava rock, moss, java fern, and possibly bolbitis if I can find some for a reasonable price. I have a CO2 setup, but I don't plan on using it for the next scape, possibly just an occasional dosing of excel. If anyone has experience with this light fixture please let me know if it will be sufficient for this plan and let me know your experience with the fixture.
Thanks!
When I first came across this fixture and mentioned it Sam jumped on it and bought it that same night. From what he has told me with the par readings provided by finnex this light will grow all of those plants fine. The 30c and the fugeray seem to have been made for each other when it comes to keepin medium plants... Not to mention the light is just beautiful to boot. Good pick with your tank you should be seeing decent growth
Lludu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Yeah, this light looks like it finally provides a good LED solution for Fluval Ebi and ADA 30-C owners.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
slavecorps
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Well, I just recieved the 12" FugeRay fixture yesterday. I haven't tried it on my tank yet because I am in Orlando and my tank is in Chicago, but I did test out the fixture and have to say that I am impressed with it so far. It produces very bright light, the blue LEDs are not overwhelming, and it seems well built with a nice aluminum housing. As others have stated, the 3.5 foot cable is inconvienient, requiring an extension cable to be used. My only other complaint about the fixture is that the legs it comes with are a dark grey color that I think will stand out too much on a rimless tank, I wish the legs were made of clear acrylic or stainless steel wire (I just think it would look cleaner).

Aside from the two negative points I mentioned about the fixture (which are really not a big deal), I can't wait to try out the fixture on my tank. I think it was a great buy for around $40. I will report back when I can test it out on my tank in August. In the meantime, I am going to brainstorm about DIYing some cleaner looking legs or modifying the fixture for hanging.
slavecorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:12 AM   #5
Nightshade75

I've had the FugeRay for several months on my Finnex 4 gallon tank. It housed a few GloFish and a snail with some plastic plants. Since I replaced the original light (Finnex Epoch CFL), algae has been terrible. Even turning them on for <8 hours daily didn't help. Tonight, I swapped everything (substrate and deco) and added some live plants and driftwood. The substrate is Floramax. The plants are water wisteria, narrow leaf java fern, java fern windelov and a marimo moss ball. I'd planned on switching back to the Epoch lighting, but the LEDs are so much prettier. I really hope the plants help resolve the algae problem.
Nightshade75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (427/100%)

First, you need to understand why algae happens. It's all about lighting/CO2/ferts.

You likely have far too much light for your tank. Have you checked the PAR data for the Finnex fixture you've got? You're probably going to need to raise it quite a bit.

With too much lighting, no CO2 and no fert dosing? You're going to have an algae farm. Since your plants have low light needs, you need to cut that down so you don't need to supplement CO2 and ferts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade75 View Post
I've had the FugeRay for several months on my Finnex 4 gallon tank. It housed a few GloFish and a snail with some plastic plants. Since I replaced the original light (Finnex Epoch CFL), algae has been terrible. Even turning them on for <8 hours daily didn't help. Tonight, I swapped everything (substrate and deco) and added some live plants and driftwood. The substrate is Floramax. The plants are water wisteria, narrow leaf java fern, java fern windelov and a marimo moss ball. I'd planned on switching back to the Epoch lighting, but the LEDs are so much prettier. I really hope the plants help resolve the algae problem.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
exv152
Wannabe Guru

I'm also really interested in this fixture for my 30cm cube but I'm wondering if the light are strong enough for glosso.
7g cube
33g iwagumi cube
75g low tech angelfish tank
exv152 is online now   Reply With Quote