Ph monitor
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 06-28-2003, 08:55 PM   #1
dave75
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Happy day all the components of my new pressurized co2 sytem are here. BUt alas another stop sign :cry: I receved my milwaukee sms122 ph meter and it only came with the 7.01 buffer for callibration and after reading the directions and M. lemay's post I now know I need the ph buffer 4.01 also... So if anyone can give me an idea on what I can use (besides ordering it) b/c I am already chewing at the bit to get this thing running I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance-Dave
dave75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2003, 09:27 PM   #2
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Just calibrate it with the 7.01 fluid for now to get it running. It'll be good for now till you get some 4.01 fluid. It should be accurate to within 0.1 ph point. Close enough for now.
What happens after a while is the ph probe gets worn and the slope has to be calibrated to keep it accurate.
Hook it up already!!

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2003, 11:39 PM   #3
Doomer
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've got 2 of these and they both came factory calibrated pretty close to where they should be. Like m.lemay said, use the 7.01 and hook it up. You can always check it when you do get the 4.01.
Doomer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2003, 04:35 AM   #4
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

I was told by the people at Milwaukee that there is a =/- of .2 on the SMS 122.

Mike
Old 06-30-2003, 02:08 AM   #5
dave75
Algae Grower

up and running woohoo
Old 07-01-2003, 08:49 AM   #6
dave75
Algae Grower

So I have it set up and running but one thing confuses me the set point if the pH goes above the set point then ther solenoid shuts OFF? the co2 supply it seems to me that I would want it to shut off the co2 supply if it goes below a set point. Right? or am I just not seeing something. Thanks in advance-Dave
Old 07-01-2003, 12:39 PM   #7
Doomer
Planted Tank Obsessed

Increase your bubble rate. You're not adding the co2 fast enough to maintain the set point.

I have the probe at the opposite end of the tank from the co2 input. This way I know the whole tank is at the set point but if my bubble rate is too low then the PH will go above the set point and take a long time to get back down to where I want it to be.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:33 PM   #8
dave75
Algae Grower

Yes I understand that but lets say just for arguments sake my pH setpoint is 7.2 then when my pH goes above that the solenoid will shut off the pH supply which will do me no good because I want the PH lower then that. Thanks
Old 07-01-2003, 10:25 PM   #9
Doomer
Planted Tank Obsessed

The solenoid controls the co2 which in turn alters the PH. When the solenoid is energized (power applied) co2 flows. When it is unenergized, there is no co2 flow. If your setpoint is 7.2 then the solenoid should be energized somewhere around that PH level. I have mine set to straddle between 6.8 and 6.7. This way I know everything is working if it's either one. If the ph rises to 6.9 or drops to 6.6 then I know something is wrong. I'm not sure what the spread is between solenoid on and off but I know it's less than 1/10th of a point which is close enough for me. If your PH is varying more than that then something is wrong mechanically or you are butting up against your tanks natural buffering capacity. What is your GH and KH ? Do you know how much co2 in ppm is dissolved in the water column at 7.2 ?
Old 07-02-2003, 03:51 AM   #10
dave75
Algae Grower

Ok now here is my question you say you have yours set to "straddle" what do you have it set at exactly? Is there two set points on yours or one? I am having a hard time wrapping my brain arouns it b/c if it shuts off when the pH goes above the set point and shuts off the co2 supply then the pH will continue to rise, right?
my KH is 30ppm GH i forget and I am at work. Thanks
Old 07-02-2003, 04:26 AM   #11
Doomer
Planted Tank Obsessed

Check out the chart here http://www.sfbaaps.com/reference/table_01.shtml

It doesn't go up to 30kh but at least you'll get an idea.

My controller turns on the co2 at 6.8 and turns it off at 6.7. This way I can see it do it's thing. My kh is 5.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:15 AM   #12
dave75
Algae Grower

the KH I gave you wass in ppm the chart is in degrees to I understand the chart and the dosage what I don't get is the function of the solenoid how do you set your turn off point is your monitor a milwakee? Mine only has one knob and it shuts off the co2 when it goes above the setpoint so if the set[point is 7.2 and the pH is 7.3 the co2 supply will shut off which will only help raise the pH
Old 07-02-2003, 12:48 PM   #13
Doomer
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes, mine is a Milaukee SMS122. I'm not following you. When PH rises above your set point the controller is supposed to turn the solenoid on. If this is not happening then either the solenoid or controller is defective.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:17 PM   #14
dave75
Algae Grower

and when it turns it on the co2 flow shuts off is this what is suppose to happen?
Old 07-02-2003, 01:32 PM   #15
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Dave,

If you have your equipment set up correctly then the solenoid will shut off the CO2 when the pH gets BELOW the set point. Then when the pH RISES above the set point the solenoid will open up and allow the CO2 to flow again which will cause the pH to again drop. You really seem to be confused and it appears that you are confusing pH and CO2.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.