Shutter release error - D5100
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 05-13-2012, 03:05 AM   #1
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

Shutter release error - D5100

Hey guys,

So my camera, it seems whenever I use a tripod, the shutter doesn't work. It says shutter error, please press shutter button again. Its really scary and I have no clue what is wrong. Unfortunately, I am out on the warranty.

From what I've read its some kind of screw that is loose or just a gear that needs lubing, simple fix. I don't want to do it on my own. What do I need to do? I could bring it to an authorized repair shop, but that will cost a lot.

Any ideas? I have no clue if this is even what is wrong, just from what I have read and "common issues"

I was considering just cutting my losses, repairing it, re-selling, and then buying a new one.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 03:31 AM   #2
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

If it only happen when you use tripod, maybe you tightened it too much and the pressure is messing it up since it seems that thing is on the bottom of the camera.

Kinda like when you place a really heavy book on a photo scanner, it really messes up that light bar thing that moves across the glass.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:34 AM   #3
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

Yeah...maybe...

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Old 05-13-2012, 04:49 AM   #4
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

It sounds a little off but I would keep researching for now, plus if you got to an authorized dealer they should be able to give you a quote first and if its something really simple they may just do it gratis, people are always willing to help youngster eager to learn, now I sound really old!
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:58 AM   #5
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

I think I will take it to a camera shop later. Nearest legit one is like 3 hours away (no joke, I literally live in the middle of nowhere).

If it's just the tripod doing it, I will sell it. Heck, I am selling it right now. I got an awesome deal on it planning on selling it and now I hardly use it. Anybody want a manfrotto? TPT discount!

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
Old 05-13-2012, 05:24 AM   #6
TickleMyElmo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Plant Man View Post
I think I will take it to a camera shop later. Nearest legit one is like 3 hours away (no joke, I literally live in the middle of nowhere).

If it's just the tripod doing it, I will sell it. Heck, I am selling it right now. I got an awesome deal on it planning on selling it and now I hardly use it. Anybody want a manfrotto? TPT discount!
I'll give you $20! You can quadruple your investment! lol!
TickleMyElmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

What model???
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

My brother at this thrift store said: Hey look at that, theres a tripod! I was like...thats no tripod...THATS A MANFROTTO!

Its a 055CLB, little old, but a tripod is a tripod, not like there is too much new technology.

It looks like its selling for around $170 on amazon w/out head (It has a head, but I have no clue what model. I have pics if genuinely interested)

For TPT members, i'll sell it for $200 OBO

Now. I don't want this to turn into a FS thread, so PM me if interested (I might trade for some lens ) . So back on subject

So seriously, is it just me having the camera on too much?

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
Old 05-14-2012, 12:22 AM   #9
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Not sure...my camera spends a lot of time on the tripod and the base plate stays on the camera all the time and I have it cranked pretty tight. I've never had an issue. But there's gotta be something to it if it only happens on the tripod. Have you tried it with the camera sitting on a flat surface like a table? Just to see if pressure on the bottom causes it? Do you keep the plate one the camera when not using the tripod? If not, maybe put the plate on and try shooting off the tripod and see what happens. But really, I have no clue.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:52 AM   #10
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

It happens sometimes when I don't have it on the tripod. But mostly on a tripod.

I just did a hard-reset hopefully that will help.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
Old 05-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #11
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

Just talked to Nikon, I am going to send it in to them. They are saying its going to run from $90-$200 depending on what the issue is. Thats really lame since MY WARRANTY RAN OUT 7 DAYS AGO. DANGIT.

Grr, that makes me even more mad.

-Caton

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
Old 05-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #12
H82LOS3
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)

Hmmm thats weird, I have the same camera also but I have no issue with shutter error. When did you buy the camera?
H82LOS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #13
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

BHphotovideo, factory refurbished. I ordered it on Feb. 8th

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1