New fish room/breeder!!! NEW VIDEO 11-11-13!!!!! - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #46
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallodoro24 View Post
Quick question... I have 3 overhead cfl bulbs spaced around the room. I am going too use these as nightlight for fish. The will be on timer. Was wondering if they should be soft white or blue in color.

red as a moonlight, fish apparently cannot see red but it will put out more than just red light and will keep things dim for the fishies

personally i leave no lights on in the house at bedtime because i want them to have a goo drest period

Old 05-24-2012, 01:55 AM   #47
In.a.Box
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Well as of now i'm at 11 grand. Dont expect too exceed 15.
doesnt matter how much you spend, whats important is happiness.
happiness doesnt come with a price

as long your wife doesnt slap u in the face. lol
In.a.Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:48 PM   #48
bgallodoro24
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Update.... just brought home 29's and 10's. Broke 1 29 strapping tanks down. My stupidity. Will take pics tomorrow. Other than that all went well seeing how we had too transport them 90 miles. Picking up 75's in 2 weeks and starting racks this weekend.
Fluval Pimp #37
bgallodoro24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #49
bgallodoro24
Planted Tank Obsessed

Fluval Pimp #37
Old 05-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #50
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Nice work here. Love to have one myself.

Was there any reason other than cost why Romex was used over bx cable?

Was a slanted roof an option as they tend to deal better with both rain run off and cooling.

Are you relying on ac to cool/dehumidify this room? Passive ventilation would have helped cut the electric bill a bit as well.

Consider adding a radiant barrier beneath the roof beams to help keep the room cooler. I'm in the process of a roof redo on my 1935 built home adding boh intake and ridge ventilation and a radiant barrier. The attic is unbearable so One of the goals is to passively cool that level to make it livable during the summer months.

Anyway, you have the best fish room I've ever seen here. Keen to see your filtration and plumbing progress ahead.

All the best,
Ac
Old 05-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #51
bgallodoro24
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
Nice work here. Love to have one myself.

Was there any reason other than cost why Romex was used over bx cable?

Was a slanted roof an option as they tend to deal better with both rain run off and cooling.

Are you relying on ac to cool/dehumidify this room? Passive ventilation would have helped cut the electric bill a bit as well.

Consider adding a radiant barrier beneath the roof beams to help keep the room cooler. I'm in the process of a roof redo on my 1935 built home adding boh intake and ridge ventilation and a radiant barrier. The attic is unbearable so One of the goals is to passively cool that level to make it livable during the summer months.

Anyway, you have the best fish room I've ever seen here. Keen to see your filtration and plumbing progress ahead.

All the best,
Ac
I used romex cause i used closed cell insulation which is hard like concrete. The roof is slanted, 10' to 8'6" in 20'. The closed cell insulation is a complete air barrier which will allow you to heat or cool this room with minimal effort. I am using a high efficiency mini split unit.

Another question for u guys... i have 6.5 well water that im using and all tanks will be hooked up to water in out method. I know an ro unit produces soft water. Is there something that will make 6.5 water 8.5. Im asking cause if we can find an easy way to manipulate water we
would like to setup some tanks for africans. We dont want to get into chemical additives for each tank.
Fluval Pimp #37
Old 05-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #52
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Woah, that's a pretty big ph swing in the other direction.... Maybe crushed coral in a large whole house single stage pre filter would work? They seek these at home depot. I think they carry GE branded ones.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #53
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I used romex cause i used closed cell insulation which is hard like concrete. The roof is slanted, 10' to 8'6" in 20'. The closed cell insulation is a complete air barrier which will allow you to heat or cool this room with minimal effort. I am using a high efficiency mini split unit.

Another question for u guys... i have 6.5 well water that im using and all tanks will be hooked up to water in out method. I know an ro unit produces soft water. Is there something that will make 6.5 water 8.5. Im asking cause if we can find an easy way to manipulate water we
would like to setup some tanks for africans. We dont want to get into chemical additives for each tank.

RO doesnt just create soft water. it creates "nothing water" u could add a drop of pee and drop the ph 2 degrees it has NOTHING to buffer it
i would be easy to manipulate the ro to whatever ph and hardness u want

othewise crushed coral is a great option
Old 05-28-2012, 02:08 AM   #54
bgallodoro24
Planted Tank Obsessed

Update.... started building racks will post pics tomorrow morning.
Fluval Pimp #37
Old 05-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #55
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Coolness
Old 06-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #56
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Might be able to do a second holding tank for water with crushed coral in it and just 'age' and circulate the water in the holding tank for a while before using.

There are people doing similar things (though usually for the opposite reason - to soften water or lower pH) so there is probably someone out there who has a good system set-up that you can copy if you just get pointed in the right direction.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #57
bgallodoro24
Planted Tank Obsessed

UPDATE..... This is where im at as of now. Will be picking up 75's on thursday.

Fluval Pimp #37
Old 06-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #58
Overfloater
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)

Looks great. You will have more tank space than some LFS I have been in, and certainly better organized.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #59
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)

Wow What a build! Very impressed and totally agree with Overfloater - better then some we have around here as well! Then my next thought was - Boy, I'd hate to be the one to take all those tank stickers off It's great to follow along in the creation of your fish room. So very cool!
Old 06-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #60
bgallodoro24
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff View Post
Wow What a build! Very impressed and totally agree with Overfloater - better then some we have around here as well! Then my next thought was - Boy, I'd hate to be the one to take all those tank stickers off It's great to follow along in the creation of your fish room. So very cool!
Now i hate you for saying that lol. I totally forgot all about having too take the stickers off. Im just praying they come off easy and the person putting them on was feeling lazy and didnt run his hand all over it pressing it down,
Fluval Pimp #37