New fish room/breeder!!! NEW VIDEO 11-11-13!!!!! - Page 36
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #526
bikinibottom
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 115
Default

i'm totally interested in the business end of this... specifically, what's the break even point? How many fish do you need to sell before you cover the investment plus the operating expenses? And... what's the expected useful life of the equipment before it needs to be replaced, including costs to maintain the building? I know, this is boring stuff to most, but for me it's pretty fascinating.
bikinibottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-03-2013, 12:43 AM   #527
scbrooks87
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: El Cajon
Posts: 214
Default

I'm guessing that he won't know all of that till he really starts getting sales of fish going. Will depend heavily on how fast he is able to turn fish around, and at what price point. Not all fish go for the same $$ of course, and overhead on each type will be different based on equipment needs, length of time he has to spend feeding them, maintaining their tank, etc... It will all play in, and logistically it's probably something that will be trial and error at first, cause I don't know that fish will be an easy business model to create.
scbrooks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:04 AM   #528
bgallodoro24
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lumberton, MS
Posts: 431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbrooks87 View Post
I'm guessing that he won't know all of that till he really starts getting sales of fish going. Will depend heavily on how fast he is able to turn fish around, and at what price point. Not all fish go for the same $$ of course, and overhead on each type will be different based on equipment needs, length of time he has to spend feeding them, maintaining their tank, etc... It will all play in, and logistically it's probably something that will be trial and error at first, cause I don't know that fish will be an easy business model to create.
I couldnt have said it better myself. As of now it is costing me $130 a month in electricity. Everything else is paid for. I am invested a lil over $20k. So as far as knowing how long till its paid for itself, I have no idea. I didnt expect the first year or so to go extremely well since I knew I needed to get breeding pairs of fish and work out any kinks.

As far as maintaining the building, its all metal outside and bare walls with spray foam. Only maintenance I do is sweep and mop floors almost every week.

As far as equipment goes I anticipated tank heaters being the first to go out. Right now I only have one of two alita 80 air pumps running and from what I heard they run a long time. I do use the mini split ac to control room temp so tank heaters hardly have to run.
__________________
Fluval Pimp #37
bgallodoro24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:00 AM   #529
P015
Algae Grower
 
P015's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinibottom View Post
i'm totally interested in the business end of this... specifically, what's the break even point? How many fish do you need to sell before you cover the investment plus the operating expenses? And... what's the expected useful life of the equipment before it needs to be replaced, including costs to maintain the building? I know, this is boring stuff to most, but for me it's pretty fascinating.
I agree with you the business aspect of this fish room would be highly interesting to know more about, but I know it will take you a while to figure it all out.

Anyways, I've read through this thread a few times and have never posted, but wanted to say what you are doing is pretty amazing! Best of luck to you, and I look forward to reading your future posts!!
P015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:03 AM   #530
MABJ
Invert Warrior
 
MABJ's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 3,883
Default

Interesting. Thanks for answering the questions.

130 a month will be hard to overcome!

Dwarf cichlids are also very popular and yield good returns.

So do many livebearers. Guppy breeding, Endlers as well as least killifish.

They all sell equally to hobbyists here and pet stores.

If you ever master Cory/Otto breeding, you're golden.
__________________
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:01 AM   #531
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru
 
AnotherHobby's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Apple Valley, MN
Posts: 1,239
Default

I just plowed through this whole thread, and I'm thirsty for more! I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said. Incredibly impressive! I hope you are proud, and I wish you the best of luck. I'll be following this thread.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #532
WestHaven
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
WestHaven's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Michigan
Posts: 667
Default

Any updates on the business end of this?
Any sales yet?
How did you find your LFS customers?
Have you done anything about making a website?
__________________
29 Gallon - "Mirkwood" - decommissioned
The Fraternity of Dirt #144
WestHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #533
deeda
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Medina, Ohio
Posts: 930
Default

I may have missed the answer to this question but what is the purpose of the black and the red handled valves located behind each aquarium?





I know that you are adding water to the tanks for water change purposes but I wonder why there are 2 valves for each tank rather than only one.
__________________
Dee
__________________
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
deeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #534
bikinibottom
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallodoro24 View Post
I couldnt have said it better myself. As of now it is costing me $130 a month in electricity. Everything else is paid for. I am invested a lil over $20k. So as far as knowing how long till its paid for itself, I have no idea. I didnt expect the first year or so to go extremely well since I knew I needed to get breeding pairs of fish and work out any kinks.

As far as maintaining the building, its all metal outside and bare walls with spray foam. Only maintenance I do is sweep and mop floors almost every week.

As far as equipment goes I anticipated tank heaters being the first to go out. Right now I only have one of two alita 80 air pumps running and from what I heard they run a long time. I do use the mini split ac to control room temp so tank heaters hardly have to run.
I understand that you don't know for sure how much you will sell, or how much additional money you will need to invest in tanks/equipment/food/etc. over time. But I imagined that you had at least done some estimates -- you could figure out how much food/electricity/etc. it would cost to raise x number of fish over y period of time, and then establish an estimated price you might sell them at in order to derive a profit. And then from that you could extrapolate out how much profit you would make in a few different scenarios: sold all but your breeding stock; sold half of your fish; or sold some fraction of your fish....

I'm not trying to bust your chops... just super curious! My work tangentially involves aquaculture production, and I'm very intrigued about the profitability of small commercial operations.
bikinibottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #535
bgallodoro24
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lumberton, MS
Posts: 431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestHaven View Post
Any updates on the business end of this?
Any sales yet?
How did you find your LFS customers?
Have you done anything about making a website?
No updates on buisness end. Found lfs by visiting them and getting to know them. They are anxiously waiting lol. I am talking with someone on this site about setting up a website but nothing final.
__________________
Fluval Pimp #37
bgallodoro24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #536
bgallodoro24
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lumberton, MS
Posts: 431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post
I may have missed the answer to this question but what is the purpose of the black and the red handled valves located behind each aquarium?





I know that you are adding water to the tanks for water change purposes but I wonder why there are 2 valves for each tank rather than only one.
All tanks with 2 valves can be used for low and high ph water. Red valves are tied to my well which is 6.5ph and blue valves are tied to 300 gallon tank which has 7.9ph.
__________________
Fluval Pimp #37
bgallodoro24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #537
bgallodoro24
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lumberton, MS
Posts: 431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinibottom View Post
I understand that you don't know for sure how much you will sell, or how much additional money you will need to invest in tanks/equipment/food/etc. over time. But I imagined that you had at least done some estimates -- you could figure out how much food/electricity/etc. it would cost to raise x number of fish over y period of time, and then establish an estimated price you might sell them at in order to derive a profit. And then from that you could extrapolate out how much profit you would make in a few different scenarios: sold all but your breeding stock; sold half of your fish; or sold some fraction of your fish....

I'm not trying to bust your chops... just super curious! My work tangentially involves aquaculture production, and I'm very intrigued about the profitability of small commercial operations.
Dont take this the wrong way, but me and my dad aren't too worried about the profit as far as figuring out how much we will make initially. We are playing it by ear and see where it goes. Once we have a nice stock going then I might be able to answer your question.
__________________
Fluval Pimp #37
bgallodoro24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #538
deeda
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Medina, Ohio
Posts: 930
Default

Thanks for the response. I thought the 2 valves may be used for the different water parameters you have but I wasn't sure.
__________________
Dee
__________________
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
deeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #539
bgallodoro24
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lumberton, MS
Posts: 431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post
Thanks for the response. I thought the 2 valves may be used for the different water parameters you have but I wasn't sure.
Np. Another question for you guys. I have an angel that's not eating like the others and looking a lil thin. I believe it to be an internal parisite and it seems that angels are prone to this. I have moved him to his own tank and raised temp to 90 degrees in order to speed up metabolism. I also put him on a food containg garlic. Is there any medicine that can be used?
__________________
Fluval Pimp #37
bgallodoro24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #540
aquanut-john
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 30
Default

Prazipro
aquanut-john is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012