New fish room/breeder!!! NEW VIDEO 11-11-13!!!!! - Page 11
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 07-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #151
BuyAllTheBettas!
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Oh my...! This is incredible, even without the fish! ^_^
BuyAllTheBettas! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #152
wetbizquit
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Update!!!
Old 07-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #153
bgallodoro24
Planted Tank Obsessed

All tanks are painted and drilled. Buying foam too put under all tanks this weekend and will be starting plumbing next. All 50 bulkheads are arriving tomorrow so thats a start. Installed utility sink and faucet yesterday. Dont know if thats interesting enough for a pic but i can upon request. Lol
Fluval Pimp #37
bgallodoro24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:25 PM   #154
bgallodoro24
Planted Tank Obsessed

I deceided ot to drill 10g tanks cause my ratio was 3 to 1. Not in a good way. I will still run a water line for each tank but they will have no overflow. I need some ideas on a siphon setup that will be much easier than a regular siphon hose. I can post pics if you guys cant imagine what im trying to explain. On a good note all 29g and 75g were drilled without a hiccup.
Fluval Pimp #37
Old 07-06-2012, 12:58 AM   #155
infamouz23
Planted Tank Explorer

PTrader: (10/100%)

Subscribed. This is pretty interesting.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #156
Lapja
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallodoro24 View Post
I deceided ot to drill 10g tanks cause my ratio was 3 to 1. Not in a good way. I will still run a water line for each tank but they will have no overflow. I need some ideas on a siphon setup that will be much easier than a regular siphon hose. I can post pics if you guys cant imagine what im trying to explain. On a good note all 29g and 75g were drilled without a hiccup.
I drilled many 10 gal tanks for a tank room once, i found it easier to drill the short pane on the side rather the bottom. Broke too many drilling the bottom, not the sides. The tanks were put on the shelves with the short sides facing forward (instead of the long side forward). I was able to put more tanks per shelf and had less stress induced problems due to less real estate open to the public. The overflows were simple 1" stack pipes which flowed into a 2" pipe i had running along the shelfs into sumps (each section had their own sump).

Can't wait to see updated pics with the plumbing in place.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers!
Lapja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:04 AM   #157
bgallodoro24
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapja View Post
I drilled many 10 gal tanks for a tank room once, i found it easier to drill the short pane on the side rather the bottom. Broke too many drilling the bottom, not the sides. The tanks were put on the shelves with the short sides facing forward (instead of the long side forward). I was able to put more tanks per shelf and had less stress induced problems due to less real estate open to the public. The overflows were simple 1" stack pipes which flowed into a 2" pipe i had running along the shelfs into sumps (each section had their own sump).

Can't wait to see updated pics with the plumbing in place.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers!
Well i was drilling the long side close to the top and it kept breaking. How were you drilling them? Kind of be specific please.
Fluval Pimp #37
Old 07-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #158
Lapja
Algae Grower

Quote:
Well i was drilling the long side close to the top and it kept breaking. How were you drilling them? Kind of be specific please.
  • I made a wooden "jig" for my diamond saw (5/8 plywood). Essentially it is a piece of wood with the same size hole drilled in it.
  • I duct taped that to the inside of panel (mini glass chips on outside). Make sure it is well stuck there and it doesn't move.
  • I apply duct tape on the outside of glass (larger than the hole I'm drillin)
  • I spray a lot of water inside the jig.
  • Put diamond saw blade inside of jig and start slowly until groove is worn in
  • I regularly stop drillin and spray the inside of jig with water, i try and free up the grooved channel of all glass dust (i find that it will jam if you leave the glass dust. This also allows me to see if even pressure is applied evenly.
  • Basically drill it slowly until you hit the tape. Do not remove the tape! Let the drill completely gut the glass and tape, be careful, this is when most beakages happen, let the saw do its job slowly without jammin.
  • I like applying the water with a good spraybottle, the kind janitors use which is adjustable
I do not use paste dams as I find it hard to keep free of the glass dust and I really like using the jig, no f****ing around with the initial "groove".

I use a regular hand drill at low speeds, no press drill and only shattered 3-4 tanks in my life and I drilled 100's (literally). Those tanks we're 10 and 20 gal tanks drilled for 1,5" bulkheads so a 2" hole (it can be done ).

It would be an honor for me to go down and drill them for you but Montreal is kinda far (although I could use a road trip and I have been unemployed since January...)

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Last edited by Lapja; 07-06-2012 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: typo
Lapja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #159
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapja View Post
It would be an honor for me to go down and drill them for you but Montreal is kinda far (although I could use a road trip and I have been unemployed since January...)

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
THANK YOU! this is proof that we are here trying to further this hobby you are a prime example!
Old 07-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #160
Pickled_Herring
Algae Grower

I second Lapja's method with a few changes. I've used a hand drill, drill press, or a special tripod drill for drilling glass all with success. The key is backing off the pressure when you get to the end of the hole. Since you're using a drill press you can set the stop to just below the hole which helps. Duct tape underneath the hole keeps the glass plug from doing any damage to the tank once the hole is through. I always use the damn around the hole, whether it's putty or a piece of pipe with a bead of silicone as a seal. When you drill lower the bit down in the hole and let it go for about 10-15 seconds then bob it back out letting the water flow down into the groove to keep the glass cool and the grinding out. Heat is the killer when drilling holes in glass. I've drilled many holes in 1/4 mirrors and glass this method works 100% of the time. Also a good bit makes all the difference. Oh yeah great job so far your fish room is you of my life long dreams.

Last edited by Pickled_Herring; 07-06-2012 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: hit post too soon
Pickled_Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #161
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Have you considered diy pvc overflow. I recently purchased (4) 40gb and (4)10g for sumps during this petco $1 per gallon sale. Your build inspired me to do a multiple tank setup so my 4 tanks against your empire,lol. Not even close huh. Anyways, as an emergency backup, I planned to use the diy pvc overflow in my 10g tanks to plumb outside my house. I didn't even want to attempt drilling because they are so thin. Actually I decided to not drill anything and just use diy pvc overflow for everything. I'd be pissed if I broke a tank and the sale ended and I couldn't pick up a replacement until the sale returned.
flight50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #162
Newf0rm
Algae Grower

picture update picture update picture update!!!
Newf0rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #163
bgallodoro24
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry guys been real busy lately. I have started on plumbing ( yippy ) and its not too bad just time consuming. Will post pics tomorrow evening for you guys.
Fluval Pimp #37
Old 07-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #164
Newf0rm
Algae Grower

tomorrow evening never came
Newf0rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #165
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

Best thread ever! I would love to do something like this when I retire I about 30 years. haha

Make sure to post everything STEP by STEP so I can print it and save it in case this forum no longer exists in 30 yrs.
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote