Lighting for a 15 gallon column tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 05-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
EmJ026

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lighting for a 15 gallon column tank

Hi all,

I have a 15 gallon column tank that came in a kit. The only light I've found to work with this setup is the 12" Aqueon Full Spectrum Daylight T5 which is only 8 watts. The fish tank is only maybe 13x13" and from substrate to waterline is about 18".

Currently I have two amazon sword plants, a bunch of wisteria, a java fern, some sort of anubis plant and a moss ball. I also have laterite mixed in the gravel. I also have 7 harlequin rasboras.

I would like to add more plants as I go along but I'm not sure which kinds.

My plants seem to be growing ok but I've only had it up and running for 2-3 months. Is this light enough to keep them growing well or any suggestions on how to improve the lighting?
EmJ026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
dr.tran
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/98%)

With those kind of plants, I don't think you need too much light. In the past I have seen someone with that kind of wattage still grow full tanks.

In your case, I think you are missing ferts. Do you dose anything?

I would suggest using some root tabs for the swords. Also I think you can do great with a little DIY co2. Although slower growth rates, you can get by use fine.

Depends on your goal though. Low maintenance in your low tech tank is great. You don't need a high tech tank to have a great tank.

My 29 gal tank

blackworms culture methods
dr.tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via MSN to samamorgan Send a message via Skype™ to samamorgan

I had the tank you've got for a while. I found it difficult to grow plants in well because of the depth vs that low intensity t5 light that comes with it. Unfortunately they don't make t5ho in 12" lengths. It's definitely low light and you should plant accordingly.
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Beethoven
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
samamorgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
15 gallon, lighting 15g