Meow's 12G Long "Triple Summit" Updated 06/12/2014 - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #16
meowschwitz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

Under gravel filter set up with lava rock. Liam's (mordalphus) Top Secret Sauce placed beneath substrate.

Light mounted about 10 inches from the top of the tank. Using only one bulb, so about 39 watts.

Day 1 of dry start.

Flora: mini pellia, mini fissidens, mini christmas moss, mini rose moss, rose moss, weeping moss, notocyphus lutescens

meowschwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #17
HappyToLearn
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Nice work!
I like the moss tank you have pictured to the right of your Sexy 12G. Do you have any other pics of that tank posted?
HappyToLearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #18
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

nice! did you chopped up the mosses? What is your foreground going to be? btw I never knew you can just light up 1 bulb on the fixture!
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #19
meowschwitz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyToLearn View Post
Nice work!
I like the moss tank you have pictured to the right of your Sexy 12G. Do you have any other pics of that tank posted?
That tank is kind of messy at the moment, with an unsightly breeder net hanging right in the front of it. So no pics yet, but I'll be fixing it up real soon and will definitely take pics then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
nice! did you chopped up the mosses? What is your foreground going to be? btw I never knew you can just light up 1 bulb on the fixture!
Chopped it up as much as possible with an X-Acto knife. Foreground will be mini pellia. And yeah, I just unhooked one of the bulbs in the fixture.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #20
dxiong5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)

Nice set up! I like how the wood and rocks blend together; they complement one another very well. Awesome video as well - looks very homey for the little guy in there

Did you secure your plants to the wood/rocks/substrate? Or are you DSM'ing and letting them attach?

//

edit: saw that you posted "Day 1 of dry start." I gotta read the posts instead of just looking at the pics. Still awesome tank, looking forward to when it grows in.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:29 PM   #21
meowschwitz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiong5 View Post
Nice set up! I like how the wood and rocks blend together; they complement one another very well. Awesome video as well - looks very homey for the little guy in there

Did you secure your plants to the wood/rocks/substrate? Or are you DSM'ing and letting them attach?

//

edit: saw that you posted "Day 1 of dry start." I gotta read the posts instead of just looking at the pics. Still awesome tank, looking forward to when it grows in.
I'm dry starting so the moss can attach naturally. We'll see how that goes. This'll be my first dry start, so I'm not sure how humid the tank will get. Hopefully it'll stay wet enough so the moss doesn't dry out, but not too wet where mold starts growing.

I've read that the moss can attach in as little as 3-4 days. I think I'll do 1-2 weeks just in case.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #22
meowschwitz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Took some shots through all the condensation on the glass. Only editing I did was to make the images black and white and sharpen it a teensy bit.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #23
trit0n2003
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (36/100%)

Im contemplating this tank for my next shrimp tank I saw it on amazon.com lol
trit0n2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #24
meowschwitz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You should totally get it! The dimensions are amazing. I wish they would make more long tanks of different volumes.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #25
trit0n2003
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (36/100%)

I want it so bad but my cat gets into my tanks if they aren't covered

He killed my angelfish mother that was self raising her fry at the time, she charged him to scare him off and he yanked her out as a toy.

Ill have to figure out a way, maybe a glass top but then it'll look like a fluvial edge lol
trit0n2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #26
CalmSeasQuest
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Beautiful Scaping - Tagging along

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

12G Long Iwagumi
12G Rimless Club
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #27
meowschwitz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Day 6 of dry start.

Not much to say, really. Obviously no noticeable growth, but don't really care for any as long as the moss attaches at some point.

Got these little white spots on some of the wood. Must be mold or something. It's not overtaking the moss, so hopefully nothing to worry about yet. The flood will probably kill it anyway.

I spray once in the morning before work at about 0600, once when I get home at 1800, and one last time before the tank lights go out at 2200. I was worried that during the day, twelve hours without a spritz would leave everything completely dried out, especially with the current heat wave in the Bay Area, but it actually stayed pretty moist. I don't think I wrap up the tank too tight, but maybe I did, hence the mold and whatnot. I'll flood soon, don't know when exactly. Maybe when work stops killing me with its endless crap.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #28
CmLaracy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Big fan of the hardscape, very well done. Excited to see it fill out, it's well planted as well. I like the hardscape so much I'd go as far as to say that you should try and keep everything nicely trimmed so it doesn't eat up the precise detail present in the hardscape
Old 06-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #29
meowschwitz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmLaracy View Post
Big fan of the hardscape, very well done. Excited to see it fill out, it's well planted as well. I like the hardscape so much I'd go as far as to say that you should try and keep everything nicely trimmed so it doesn't eat up the precise detail present in the hardscape
Oh yeah, I'm not going to let anything cover up the hardscape. You don't have to worry about that.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:36 AM   #30
meowschwitz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Day 12 of dry start.

So those little white spots on the wood are almost completely gone. Some of the moss is browning just a little, but I do think I see growth in most parts. I saw some stringy looking mold or fungus a week ago, but that seems to have disappeared as well. Not much else to report. SF temperature has fluctuated over the past two weeks, with my house getting as cold as 55F and as hot as 85F. I wonder what kind of effect this may have on the progression of the dry start. Hopefully nothing bad. I'm not completely convinced that the moss has attached to the hardscape yet, so I will probably hold off flooding after another week or two or three. Once I flood, I'll pump CO2 to the max for a week and slowly wean it off. I've got my orange neos waiting in another tank, eagerly waiting for their new home.