Sick Dwarf Gouramis
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 06-27-2003, 07:04 PM   #1
BonesCJ
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I bought 4 dwarf Gouramis about 3 months ago and all were healthy for the first month and a half. After that 2 of them developed bacterial infections which killed one but the other was saved when i medicated the tank. Checked all levels at that point and everything was good (0 Nitrites,0 Ammonia, >20 Nitrate) and all the other fish were healthy and happy. Within the last week I have seen more of the Ulcers that show bacterial infections on 2 of the Dwarfs (The one from the original infection and a new one). I again checked levels, same as before nothing out of the ordinary and again medicated the tank. What has me puzzled is that this is affecting none of my other fish(Tetras, Corys, Otos, Guppys) other than my Dwarf Gouramis, all tank levels are good and everything else is fine. Any ideas?
BonesCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2003, 08:17 PM   #2
digger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to digger

I've seen the same problem with dwarf gouramis. I wonder if they are particularly succeptable to it.
digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 05:05 PM   #3
BonesCJ
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well as an update 1 more of my dwarfs has kicked the bucket and going to that big porcelain fishbowl in the sky. The other two are starting to fade as well and will probably be gone in a week. Damn fish! oh well, I think in future i will be going with a pair of angels, my wife loves the look of them.
BonesCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 06:49 PM   #4
digger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Actually, my lastest fish to get these sort of whitish ulcers on it's side is a juvenile angelfish. I've been treating with formalin, and it appears to be getting better, but I wish I knew what was causing the sores in the first place.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:51 PM   #5
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Sounds like it might have been a columnaris infection. Does it start as a whitish patch on the skin and develop into an open sore very quickly?
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 06:55 PM   #6
digger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes, it could be, thanks for giving me some suggestion as to what I'm dealing with.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:11 PM   #7
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

If it is Columnaris, you really need to be pretty ruthless with it. Put any infected fish down as it is highly contagious, and it spreads so rapidly that it can be detrimental to an otherwise healthy tank.

I lost 90% of the fish stock in my 22 gallon last year when a recent addition turned out to be a carrier. It was pretty tragic, in the space of 48 hours I lost my entire collection of guppies, platties, and 1 Cory
Old 07-08-2003, 06:19 AM   #8
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Very recently I added a pair of Pearl Gouramies to my tank. The male showed some discoloration at his back/fin, which has now developed into full blown columnaris disease. The female is infected as well. Damn.

Has anyone had success treating this disease? Potassium permanganate, Copper sulfate, Acriflavine, Furan, Terramycin, Green, Blue, Oxytetracyclin? Any advice for some chemical which doesn't affect plants nor my lonely shrimp (ok that's replaceable)...

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 05:24 PM   #9
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Rather than putting them down ruthlessly as Gareth suggested, last night I added Furan-2 in the recommended dosage, and will continue the treatment for 4 days as per package instructions.
If columnaris is that contagious, the other inhabitants are probably infected as well, so a full tank treatment seems to be justified.
So far the Gouramies have been happily eating their live Daphnias, and seem not to be much affected by their disease nor the chemicals. The Otos try to scratch themselves which looks kind of funny for an Oto.
I know that the medication is quite a bit more expensive than freezing/cooking/guillotining/electrocuting/smashing/shooting or poisoning (or whatever has been determine to be the most human :roll: way) the sick fish and then get new ones, but once they are mine I feel kind of responsible to try to cure them, even if it ends up being more costly than just replacing them.

Old 07-09-2003, 06:14 PM   #10
digger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Aye, instead of killing my angel, I decided to get a new tank for it. :roll: A used 20L from the university reuse center, only $5.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:19 PM   #11
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

I should have been more specific, my bad. Coloumnaris itself wont quickly spread to otherwise healthy fish unless they have a pre-existing wound or sometimes if they eat any part of a dead fish that is infected. By isolating any infected fish you significantly reduce your chances of having a bad infection.

I'm not convinced that your Pearl gourami in the photo has coloumnaris, but he does appear to be suffering from septicemia or some other bacterial infection. Columnaris tends to turn scales and tissue necrotic very quickly, its almost like flesh eating diesease for fish....
Old 07-09-2003, 11:22 PM   #12
Wasserpest
Are these real?

I haven't been able to find a picture of columnaris, and you are absolutely right, it could be septicemia, although I have not read anything about white stuff growing out with septicemia. Columnaris is sometimes mentioned together with cottonmouth, which they definitely don't show.
Well I hope the Furan will take care of whatever nasty bacterium it is.

Here some more close-ups...

Old 07-09-2003, 11:53 PM   #13
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

The white growths could be some form of secondary fungal infection... Its hard to say... Are the rays of the dorsal fin stating to become enflamed around the source of infection?
Old 07-10-2003, 12:17 AM   #14
Wasserpest
Are these real?

From what I can tell it hasn't spread more into the fin area, although the red looks a little more pronounced now across the back, still with the white stuff hanging out of the center of the infections (only on one side).
Just added the second dosing of Furan, holding my breath...

Wow... I just turned planted tank obsessed. Hey actually I have been that way for a while already :mrgreen:
Old 07-13-2003, 08:29 PM   #15
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Well... not so well. Now after the 4x Furan-2 treatment... Both Gouramies are still showing the bacterial infection. Still thinking it is columnaris, another name for it is "saddlepatch disease" and that's more how it looks like.
The female hasn't changed much, and doesn't seem much affected, while the male has now something growing out of his eye :shock: similar to what they have on the fins. Both are still eating fine, so next week I will try Maracyn, and if that doesn't help... I give up :cry: