I Hate Scuds! Help Me Get Rid of Them
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 09-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
Tanman19az
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (71/100%)

I Hate Scuds! Help Me Get Rid of Them

I have a tank that is invested with Scuds. I wouldn't mind them if they would leave my moss alone, but it's turning brown and slowly dying. How do you get of them with killing my shrimp in the process? I have tried putting a pair of peppered cories to see if they would gobble them up, but nope didn't happen. What do you suggest I do?
Tanman19az is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (713/100%)

" Xenxes " has a serious problem with them in one of his tanks. And no way of getting rid of them I think. He say he can trap tons and they keep on coming back.

Last edited by h4n; 09-19-2012 at 01:13 AM..
h4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (173/100%)

i caught a bunch initially using a net, then with a turkey baster contraption. Gave them all away at our swap meet. There are still juvies in the tank. I think its better to try and catch them than using chemicals or predators unless as a last resort.

I have a ton of taiwan moss in the tank which they dont seem too interested in. Maybe its because im feeding too many goodies in the tank for them to notice.
acitydweller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
pinoyghost2
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I put an algae wafer in my tank, they swarmed it so much they actually pushed the shrimp out of the picture. I left it in there to get enough on it, then I used a net and grabbed up the whole wafer with them still munching on it....fed them to my bettas and angels.
pinoyghost2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (96/100%)

How can you tell if they are scuds or seed shrimp?
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4n View Post
" Xenes " has a serious problem with them in one of his tanks. And no way of getting rid of them I think. He say he can trap tons and they keep on coming back.
Can he put some scud eating fish in there?
SpecGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
tobystanton
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/83%)

I have been smashing there back side with a forceps, immobilizing them.

I then let my shrimp feast on them alive, hopefully one day they will get a taste for live scud and start hunting them.
tobystanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #8
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecGrrl View Post
Can he put some scud eating fish in there?
He has them in his shrimp tank. Any fish that can eat a scuds will destroy shrimp i'm assuming.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #9
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarbee54 View Post
How can you tell if they are scuds or seed shrimp?
Steve, seed shrimp are tiny (small as a seed), Scuds are bigger with leg and swim/move quickly.

Scud:
Old 09-18-2012, 11:41 PM   #10
dhavoc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (54/100%)

there is no way to remove them from a tank once established without also killing any other invert in there. they live in the substrate as well as on the plants and in the filters. even with a tank full of predators like d puffers and loaches i still have scuds in my 120g 6 years after setup. the only way i have been able to get rid of them is to tear downt the tank completly, dry out everything completely (bone dry), dip the plants in a potasium perm solution, or better yet dump them and get plants from a tank with no scuds, and start over.... they are the water equivalent of roaches, no matter what you do they are always there somewhere.
dhavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:10 AM   #11
mcarroll
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

"Scuds" are actually an amphipod....generally they are detritus consumers. One of the good guys!!!

My bet is that the moss is already dying (in part, or in whole) and they are just cashing in on the rotting tissue. Doing you a favor in the process!

FWIW, in saltwater tanks (they are also found on land - circumglobal!) they are a treasured addition for their ability to get into places to clean that nothing else is able to....and along with some other saltwater detritavores are also blamed incorrectly for killing something that is already dead/dying.

There is the (somewhat unlikely) possibility of growing a large population of amphipods in a relatively untended tank, then making changes to the system that eliminate a large share of their food (i.e. cleaning) which could cause starvation. The larger amphipods in saltwater when in a starvation scenario have been known to eat the smaller "ephemera" from live, non-dying, corals. Could be the case with your amphipods and moss. This should be a transitional thing as the population naturally declines, but yes they will try to survive however they can in the mean time.

Personally I would do my level best to keep them around and keep them happy due to their role as excellent cleaners......consistent (regardless of level) cleaning practices on your part should keep the population in control and keep them from "getting aggressive" again. Again, consistency, more than completeness or other way of analyzing your cleaning routine, will be what makes the difference if you wanna go this route.

Also, while I haven't experimented, I'd be shocked if there weren't an appropriately sized fish (barbs, tetras, danios, loaches...maybe some cichlids?) that could assist in control or even eradication. Of course consideration for your other inverts is a must in this scenario in terms of getting a fish which stays small enough. Wrasses are what people in saltwater typically use...and while officially unrelated to cichlids, their look, behavior and feeding behaviors are often quite similar, FWIW.

Wait...your amphipods don't look like this do they????? You're screwed!

-Matt

Last edited by mcarroll; 09-19-2012 at 12:25 AM.. Reason: Cuz
mcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:50 AM   #12
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

The best (most shrimp-safe way) I found is to remove all large particle gravel from the top substrate. Just have a clear sand substrate cap. This way the scuds can't borrow, and can't hide, you can slowly suck them all out or squish them into the ground with a stick. It reduces the population by a lot, but I'm sure I still have some.

No other way (chemicals, fish) is shrimp safe.
xenxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:04 AM   #13
jone
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Then what is the bug that is btween a seed shrimp and scud,,size wise??? Pretty much looks like the same body wise..
jone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:49 AM   #14
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Do scuds actually bother moss that is healthy and green? I saw one in my new tank and I haven't offered any food source (because no livestock yet other than snails)... and my java moss was turning yellow and I couldn't figure out why.

I recently put a red betta fish in there to provide nutrients to the moss through waste (since I thought it was lack of nutrients) and so it could potentially bash any scuds it comes across by. I've also been adding API roots tabs and dosing seachem flourish.

The java moss in my tank is making a comeback but I have no idea whether or not it's cause the betta took care of the scud/scuds or if me dosing macro/micro nutrients from the root tabs helped.
shrimpzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:03 AM   #15
Tanman19az
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (71/100%)

Ok it looks like I'm doing the best I can to get rid of them. Every time I see one out in the open, I fish it out. I have moss tiles that I shake out into a bucket and that always gets about 10-20 of the lil guys. I use to feel bad about killing them, but now I dont even care hehe
Tanman19az is online now   Reply With Quote