colored LEDs and the planted tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 05-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

PTrader: (107/100%)

colored LEDs and the planted tank

I was just curious as to if any of you guys have started adding colored LEDs along with your whites. Like cyan, red, and blue.
oldpunk78 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via MSN to samamorgan Send a message via Skype™ to samamorgan

I just use white and blue. Blue seems to bring out fish colors nicely with about a 4:1 ratio.
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Beethoven
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
samamorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 12:07 AM   #3
pandacory
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I've often thought it would be neat to do a fixture with a dawn to dusk sequence that fades in red, then mixes blue and white.

The red plant bulbs look nice I think.

Led grow lights use all sorts of strange colors +uv, but that would be counterproductive in the tank since you would exceed very high light before getting anything to make the display look good in the mix
pandacory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 12:25 AM   #4
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd

I used about 1/4 neutral white, 1/4 royal blue and 1/2 cool white for my fixture. The cool white however are my main lighting and the nw and rb are so I can change the colour. It's pretty neat, I can go from sickly yellow to reef tank blue.
jcgd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 02:21 AM   #5
nikonD70s
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

im still looking for a led fixture that has white and that pink color. like the pink of the geisemann T5 bulbs. really makes the tank/plants and fish color stand out more. most of the leds are more meant for salt thats why they have the blue.
nikonD70s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 02:37 AM   #6
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

I'm really surprised no one has tried out mixing some in. From what I've read and heard on other forums, turquoise/cyan and deep red create a 'white' light (that brings out reds/greens).

I can't believe more of you don't think your tank looks 'washed out'. When I tried out a fixture I made for a reef that had a mix of cool white, neutral white, royal blue, and blue (all individually dimmable) I noticed that the green and especially the red spectrums were really lacking for me.

Violet LEDs are also really supposed to help warm up your tank.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #7
Assassynation
Planted Tank Obsessed

Check This out!

http://veritascontrols.com/index.php..._Eclipse-Smart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xmEW...ature=youtu.be
Assassynation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

Those links are broken.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
I'm really surprised no one has tried out mixing some in. From what I've read and heard on other forums, turquoise/cyan and deep red create a 'white' light (that brings out reds/greens).

I can't believe more of you don't think your tank looks 'washed out'. When I tried out a fixture I made for a reef that had a mix of cool white, neutral white, royal blue, and blue (all individually dimmable) I noticed that the green and especially the red spectrums were really lacking for me.

Violet LEDs are also really supposed to help warm up your tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandacory View Post
I've often thought it would be neat to do a fixture with a dawn to dusk sequence that fades in red, then mixes blue and white.

The red plant bulbs look nice I think.

Led grow lights use all sorts of strange colors +uv, but that would be counterproductive in the tank since you would exceed very high light before getting anything to make the display look good in the mix
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
I was just curious as to if any of you guys have started adding colored LEDs along with your whites. Like cyan, red, and blue.
It's being done. First off you have this as a possibility
Quote:
IMM Photonics presents a newly developed LED featuring a continuous spectrum from 400 nm to 750 nm.

Due to their internal design, standard white LEDs have a gap in the spectrum between 400 nm and 450 nm as well as around 500 nm. The new WISPEC-LED now sets out to close this gap.

Combined, the four chips that have been joined together on one compact LED deliver very homogenous white light. Depending on the application, the light can be individually adjusted because the chips can be controlled independently from one another. For example it is possible to generate “Cool White” with a colour temperature of > 7.800 K. A CRI (Colour Rendering Index) value > 90 can be realized as easily as a lighting current of >130 lm. A colour mixing stick (optional) will allow for homogenous localized and spectral light distribution.

Due to pulse-width modulation (PWM), the LED is also dimmable by a ratio of 1:400 without changing its colour temperature.

The WISPEC-LED has been specially developed to replace halogen lamps, but is also used for applications such as microscope lighting or colour measurement. An additional advantage: Infrared radiation, which has detrimental effects on many applications is not an issue with the WISPEC-LED. http://www.imm-photonics.com/

And these items.
http://reefbuilders.com/2012/05/04/f...ai-vega-color/
There's a vid on Youtube showing the AcanLighting Prism LED in action
http://truaqua.com/aquarium-lighting-led-48inch.html

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...ctrum-led.html
Indigo LED

Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.