How to prevent the snails?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 05-03-2012, 04:47 AM   #1
uMc
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

How to prevent the snails?

I found a small snail in my 38 gallons guppy tank once/while and i don't know what causes the snail present. I have some hornwort and guppy grass. How to prevent the snail being in the tank? don't tell me remove all the plants

Thanks
uMc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 04:58 AM   #2
jreich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

how to prevent snails = dont own a fish tank
jreich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #3
vinniemabuna
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

I got a round piece of oak from Homedepot, I crush them on the glass, the pond snails, the MTS I leave alone. Assassin snails will also keep them under control.
vinniemabuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 06:27 AM   #4
Polarshrey
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uMc View Post
I found a small snail in my 38 gallons guppy tank once/while and i don't know what causes the snail present. I have some hornwort and guppy grass. How to prevent the snail being in the tank? don't tell me remove all the plants

Thanks
Well when you think of snails in the long term they are very helpful they eat algae if you ever get an algae bloom, they eat dead plants decreasing nitrates and are a treat to your fishes . That doesnt mean all fishes will hunt them down and eat them but it is control. All you can do is control them like add a ram or a puffer or a couple assassin snails or manually remove them.
150 gallon reef
Polarshrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 06:27 AM   #5
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

They probably came from the plants. Snail eggs on the plants brings them in. Assassin snails and squishing them every time you see them works for me. Iv'e been able to eliminate them completely.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
Miles
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarshrey View Post
Well when you think of snails in the long term they are very helpful they eat algae if you ever get an algae bloom, they eat dead plants decreasing nitrates and are a treat to your fishes . That doesnt mean all fishes will hunt them down and eat them but it is control. All you can do is control them like add a ram or a puffer or a couple assassin snails or manually remove them.
Depends on the species, quite a few snail species eat live plants, I had an infestation of those, got a couple clown loaches and my problem was solved. Plus, they leave Malaysian trumpet snails alone, which I now have a nice healthy population of. Sweet deal!
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.